Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Space Docker
Space Docker
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
 Post subject: My luck finally ran out
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:36 am 
Been riding my Met for 5 years now, 3 of which it has been my daily, without any incident oyher than the occasional idiot pulling out in front of me or moving over on me..........................until yesterday. :cry: I've been living at an extended stay motel in ATL 1 mile from work for 6 months now with no car as I had to leave it in SC for my daughter and grand kids. They were supposed to move here in March, but my employer has decided to move me to Mooresville, NC, so 3 months of only having the MET for transportation turned into 6. I very rarely go anywhere other than work and back because the motorist in and around ATL are determined to kill each other. One of my closest lifelong freinds raced motorcycles, raced cars, flew experimental aircraft, but lost his life on I 285 going to eat lunch.

MET didn't want to run yesterday morning after warming up. I had left it outside in torrential rain the previous afternoon and then dryed it off with some quick detailer, my alternate way of washing it since I don't have access to a hose at the hotel. Being so close to work it's usually not a problem calling a co worker to get me and yesterday was no different. My boss said he would come get me and I proceeded to diagnose the problem while waiting. It acted like there might be H2O in the carb or saturating the intake and after a quick blast of starting fluid she cleared right up. I called my ride who was already halfway here (remember I'm only a mile away) and told him I wanted to ride the scooter so I could leave work when I was ready instead of waiting on a ride. Telling him to turn around turned out to be one of the worst mistakes I have ever made, :headbashing: :headbashing:

I only have to travel aruh hour congested road for the first 2 blocks of my commute and traffic yesterday was unusually heavy. Skies were overcast and pavement was still damp from all the rain the night before. Pulled away from a red light and my lane started moving up to speed (about 40mph) when the driver in front of me apparently wasn't paying attention and suddenly locked em' up. As I grabbed all the brake it was immediately obvious there was no way I could stop in time. I tried to steer right to avoid his rear bumper and the front started sliding on the damp pavement and diving at the same time. Before I even knew it I was over the handlebars and heading face first for asphault in a Superman position. BOOM, BANG, TUMBLE and I'm laying on my back in the middle of the road. Went to sit up and as soon as I put my hands down and felt excruciating pain in my left wrist, I looked at and realized I wasn't going anywhere. My hand was pointing inside, my wrist was pointing outside, and I could see 2 nubs poking under the skin that were broken bones. I have never had anything more painful in my life. It seemed an eternity before EMT's arrived and another eternity before they filled me full of morphine. I NEVER contacted the rear of Mr. Panic stop, but he told police a white scratch on his bumper was where the scooter hit it and to add insult to injury they gave me a ticket for following to close as the ambulance prepared to haul me to the ER.

Good news is it's my left wrist and I'm right handed. That is the only good news. I could not have broken it any worse if I had tried. Both of the bones from my forearm to wrist are broken, all the smaller bones in my wrist are shattered. It took a shot of Morphine in the bambalance and 2 doses of Dalada in the ER just to bring the pain to a point that was almost bearable. They tried to realign my forearm to my wrist and splint it with instructions to see an Orthopedic Surgeon for assessment. I started eating Oxycodone as soon as I got home yesterday and haven't stopped. The pain hasn't subsided one bit. I can't even get comfortable enough to sleep. Surgery scheduled for Tuesday am. According to the Doc it will be a long and painful recovery. Only got to see the Met for a moment and it appears to only have got a major case of road rash on the rear right fender. Not that it matters as it will be well over a month at the earliest before I can ride again.

If I had only taken the ride to work....................................... :meh:

"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time." - Mario Andretti

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
 Post subject: Re: My luck finally ran out
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:31 am 
Man, that sucks :shock:

You won't see a doc again till Tuesday?
That seems like a long time to wait in your condition with a temp splint thing.

Morphesty 400cc

One of Us
One of Us

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:37 am 
Damn. I just a broken elbow yesterday due to some dumbass swerving at me. Then I confronted him about it and got out of his truck swinging a bat and broke my elbow. Now I have to see a surgeon on Monday! We in the same boat brotha!

Sent from the moon...

Space Docker
Space Docker

The way it should be
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:22 am 
Just read my post. Must admit it was a oxycodone induced diatribe. I'm outta commission for a while. Complications after surgery mean no using left hand for quite a while. Miss you guys. :cry:

"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time." - Mario Andretti

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

Living room mechanic
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:38 am 
Sucks to hear man! I broke my wrist similarly in a skim boarding accident. Quick healing for you brother!

Ghosts
Ghosts
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:47 am 
Sorry to hear. When it happened to me my foot got pinched between the car and the scoot and I broke a few toes. Glad to hear you're okay :lol:

One of Us
One of Us

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:02 am 
sucks it had to happen to you. rest up and keep us posted on your progress and recovery. Get well man & take care man. H

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/show ... w-it-works

Space Docker
Space Docker

The way it should be
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:02 pm 
Thanks for the kind words and well wishes. This will be a much longer recovery than I anticipated. I have lost all the feeling in my hand and fingers, everything is just numb. Turns out I was issued a citation for following too close because the driver said my scooter hit his rear bumper. It did not hit it. All witnesses had left and cop only had word of driver so he had to issue citation. Driver thought I had insurance and could get a new rear bumper out of the deal. Go to court next week to contest it.

Photo of the Week
Photo of the Week

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:15 pm 
Any update? How are you healing/feeling? Getting feeling back in your hand?

mnnthbx wrote:
He's running our pipe. Either it made too much power and spun the rear, or was so loud he went blind and crashed.... 50/50.

Space Docker
Space Docker

The way it should be
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:30 pm 
WonderBread wrote:

No feeling in thumb, index and middle finger as well as most of palm. All due to post surgery swelling. Still can't use hand, it will be at least a year before it's back to normal. Judge found me guilty of following too close because I crashed and said she was not finding me guilty of hitting the car I wrecked trying to avoid. Cop and asshole who said I hit him both lied in court, tried to say I was lying next to scooter right behind rear bumper. :pissed: I was behind bumper and Met was 6ft behind me. Lots of physical therapy and maybe add surgery to repair nerve damage. One of worst the parts is I can't wrench or ride. :cry:

Rusty Trombonner
Rusty Trombonner
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:39 pm 
Aw bummer man! Hope you heal up soon and it get back to normal! 1 year is a long time - how's work? Sucks that they all went against you. They should have made a accident analysis and tested the transferred paint to refute the accusations. Did you hire a lawyer?

★TR★Addict★
★TR★Addict★
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:40 pm 
God man I hate to see this. It's serious business riding a scooter or motorcycle out on roads with crazy ppl in cars. Prayers go out to you. I'm sure you have heard it, and it sounds cliche but it could have been worse. I hate this man. Hate to hear of someone in pain due to someone else not paying attn. I have seen it all on YouTube. Try to keep my eyes open while I ride my bike or ruckus. Always scared this would happen. How did the met come out man?

-Stephen

Instagram @SBREWER89

•My ruck- The Addiction viewtopic.php?f=95&t=71318&p=1235621#p1235621

•For Sale Thread - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=74450

•Upper Class White Trash•

Photo of the Week
Photo of the Week

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:43 pm 
So what's the penalty for being found guilty of following too closely? Monetary fine? Screw that cop and that douchebag guy too. They'll get what's coming to them. Hopefully that guy gets in a wreck with a fuel tanker and ends up under it, tasting his own blood before he dies.

mnnthbx wrote:
He's running our pipe. Either it made too much power and spun the rear, or was so loud he went blind and crashed.... 50/50.

One of Us
One of Us

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:43 pm 
That blows man. I hope you get better.

Thats what happened to my arm about 2 months ago. I still can't move my arm either.

It seems like the court system fails a lot of people.

How long are you in a cast for?

Sent from the moon...

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

The way it should be
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:48 pm 
racerx wrote:
WonderBread wrote:

No feeling in thumb, index and middle finger as well as most of palm. All due to post surgery swelling. Still can't use hand, it will be at least a year before it's back to normal. Judge found me guilty of following too close because I crashed and said she was not finding me guilty of hitting the car I wrecked trying to avoid. Cop and asshole who said I hit him both lied in court, tried to say I was lying next to scooter right behind rear bumper. :pissed: I was behind bumper and Met was 6ft behind me. Lots of physical therapy and maybe add surgery to repair nerve damage. One of worst the parts is I can't wrench or ride. :cry:

Theirs the great justice system our country has!