Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: State by state scooter laws
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:06 am 
Ohio:
Many of the licensing and registration procedures required for automobiles and motorcycles are the same for mopeds.
To become licensed to operate a moped, 14 and 15-year-olds must pass the usual vision and written tests, as well as a road test. This rule also applies to persons not currently holding a valid operator's license, regardless of age.
Probationary motorized bicycle licenses are required for 14 and 15-year-old operators.
The probationary license can be revoked until the age of 16 if, EVEN ONE TIME, the operator violates state laws regulating moped operation or state or local traffic laws.
Operators are required to obtain and display a rear license plate.

REMEMBER: A moped operator must obey the same traffic laws that apply to operators of bicycles and motor vehicles. This includes obeying all traffic signs and signals, traveling in the same direction as the rest of the traffic, signaling turns, and yielding the right of way

What is a Moped?

Just because something looks like a moped, doesn't guarantee it is one in the eyes of the law. Only the Ohio Department of Public Safety can certify which vehicles meet state standards. You should not accept anyone else's statement that a vehicle is a moped.

The Ohio Revised Code defines a moped, or motorized bicycle, as any vehicle with two tandem wheels or one front and two rear wheels which is capable of being pedaled and is also equipped with a helper motor. The helper motor may not:
have a piston displacement of more than 50 cubic centimeters;
produce more than one brake horsepower; and
propel the vehicle at a maximum speed greater than 20 mph on a level surface. (which is a load of S#!%, and is not enforced.)

If a vehicle exceeds any one of these criteria, it is legally a motorcycle. Be certain BEFORE you buy. Contact your local Deputy Registrar location, if you have questions.

source: http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/moped_info.stm

You maybe referring to city laws. I lived in Akron, and legally drove a Yumbo, capable of about 32 mph, with no pedals, with a standard moped license.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:28 pm 
State of SC. Must be 16 and older. No liscense, registration, or tag is need as long as it's 50cc or under and doesn't exceed 30mph. No helmet laws and anyone with or without a liscense can drive as long as you do not have more then 1 previous DUI's. I love SC

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:14 pm 
CT

You do not need a helmut, need a valid drivers licence, no registration, no insurance and no plate

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:46 am 
Arkansas

No plates, registration, or drivers license required (must be able to show a photo id though). No speed limitations, no helmet. You must wear eye protection and must be at least 16 years old.

TR Ride of the Month!
TR Ride of the Month!
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:40 am 
VA:
No moped/scooter may be driven on any highway where the speed limit is faster than 35 mph.

Riders must be at least 16 years of age and obey all rules of the road.

Every driver must carry a form of identification that includes his/her name, address, and date of birth.

*****2-strokes Vanilla Shake in the making(S-Motion Garge/SparkleMotion)****

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:14 pm 
PA:
Under 50CC no Motor Cycle License Required
Must Insure to Register
Must Insure to Ride at Min Liability
Standard PA Driver License Required
Helmet Choice Law (Currently: Leg introduced this week to bring back mandatory helmet)

Space Docker
Space Docker
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:44 am 
Great job guys it is now a sticky :)

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:19 pm 
Idaho:
M endorsement on license: Anything over 50cc + any 50cc NON pedaled device that goes faster than 30mph
Insurance
Helmet not required.

One of Us
One of Us

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:24 am 
WA:
16 years old minimum
Drivers license
Helmet Required
Title+Plates
If 50cc faster than 30mph, M endorsement

'99 Derbi Manhattan
'01 Suzuki SV650 ---Almost ready to ride
'80 Yamaha Champ LC50
'05 Honda Metropolitan ---The reliable commuter

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

The way it should be
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:11 pm 
Tennessee Code Annotated

Title 55 - Motor and Other Vehicles

55-3-101. Motor vehicles subject to registration and certificate of title provisions -- Exceptions.

(a) Every motor vehicle or motorized bicycle, as defined in chapter 8 of this title, and every trailer, semi-trailer, and pole trailer, when driven or moved upon a highway, and every mobile home or house trailer, when occupied, shall be subject to the registration and certificate of title provisions of chapters 1, 2, this chapter and chapters 4-6 of this title, except:

(8) Motorized bicycles, except when voluntarily registered under § 55-4-101

55-4-110. Display of registration plates -- Manner -- Penalty for violation.

(b) Every registration plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which it is issued so to prevent the plate from swinging and at a height of not less than twelve inches (12'') from the ground, measuring from the bottom of the plate, in a place and position to be clearly visible and shall be maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible; provided, if a motorcycle is equipped with vertically mounted license plate brackets, its license plate shall be mounted vertically with the top of such license plate fastened along the right vertical edge. No tinted materials may be placed over a license plate even if the information upon the license plate is not concealed.

55-8-101. Chapter and part definitions.

(34) "Motorcycle" means every motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three (3) wheels in contact with the ground, including a vehicle that is fully enclosed, has three (3) wheels in contact with the ground, weighs less than one thousand five hundred pounds (1,500 lbs.), and has the capacity to maintain posted highway speed limits, excluding a tractor or motorized bicycle;

(35) "Motor-driven cycle" means every motorcycle, including every motor scooter, with a motor that produces not to exceed five (5) brake horsepower, or with a motor with a cylinder capacity not exceeding one hundred twenty-five cubic centimeters (125cc);

(36) "Motorized bicycle" means a vehicle with two (2) or three (3) wheels, an automatic transmission, and a motor with a cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty cubic centimeters (50cc) which produces no more than two (2) brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the vehicle at a maximum design speed of no more than thirty miles per hour (30 mph) on level ground. The operator of a motorized bicycle must be in possession of a valid operator's or chauffeur's license, and shall be subject to all applicable and practical rules of the road. A motorized bicycle may not be operated on a highway of the interstate and defense highway system, any similar limited access multilane divided highway, or upon sidewalks;[/list]

55-9-302. Crash helmet required for driver and passenger -- Exceptions.

• (a) The driver of a motorcycle, motorized bicycle, as defined in chapter 8 of this title, or motor-driven cycle, and any passenger on any of these, shall be required to wear either a crash helmet meeting federal standards contained in 49 CFR 571.218, or, if the driver or passenger is twenty-one (21) years of age or older, a helmet meeting the following requirements:

• (1) Except as provided in subdivisions (a)(2)-(4), the helmet shall meet federal motor vehicle safety standards specified in 49 CFR 571.218;

• (2) Notwithstanding any provision in 49 CFR 571.218 relative to helmet penetration standards, ventilation airways may penetrate through the entire shell of the helmet; provided, that no ventilation airway shall exceed one and one half inches (1 1/2'') in diameter;

• (3) Notwithstanding any provision in 49 CFR 571.218, the protective surface shall not be required to be a continuous contour; and

• (4) Notwithstanding any provision in 49 CFR 571.218 to the contrary, a label on the helmet shall be affixed signifying that the helmet complies with the requirements of the American Society for Testing Materials (ASTM), the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), the Southern Impact Research Center (SIRC), or the Snell Foundation.

55-9-304. Windshields -- Safety goggles, face shields or glasses. - Every motorcycle or motor-driven cycle operated upon any highway or public road of this state shall be equipped with a windshield, or, in the alternative, the operator and any passenger on that motorcycle or motor-driven cycle shall be required to wear safety goggles, face shields, or glasses containing impact resistant lenses.

55-9-305. Rearview mirrors and footrests. - All motorcycles and motor-driven cycles operated upon any highway or public road of this state shall be equipped with a rearview mirror and securely attached footrests for the operators and passengers on all motorcycles and motor-driven cycles.

Motor-driven Cycle (Class M Limited)

The license is valid for four years. You must:

Be at least age 15

Operate only two or three-wheeled vehicles with no more than 125 cc cylinders

Operate only between 4 a.m. and 8 p.m. (if between the ages of 15 and 16)

Operate only within 20 miles of your home (if between the ages of 15 and 16)

Comply with the restrictions set forth by the Examiner (if 16 or older)

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:19 am 
In Florida is it required to have a license? I have gotten so many mixed answers.

Is insurance necessary?

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

The way it should be
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:50 am 
-Kenny- wrote:
VA:
No moped/scooter may be driven on any highway where the speed limit is faster than 35 mph.

Riders must be at least 16 years of age and obey all rules of the road.

Every driver must carry a form of identification that includes his/her name, address, and date of birth.

you read that wrong. you can only GO 35mph, but you can ride on roads with more than a 35mph speed limit. see below:

Definition
Virginia Code section 46.2-100 defines a moped as a vehicle that:

•travels on three wheels or less,
•has a seat that is no less than 24 inches in height, measured from the ground to the middle of the seat, and
•has a gasoline, electric, or hybrid motor that displaces less than 50 cubic centimeters.

Restrictions
a.Operation of mopeds on any Interstate Highway System is prohibited by Virginia Law. Operation of mopeds on highways and public vehicular areas by persons under age 16 is prohibited by Virginia law.
b.No moped shall be driven on any highway or public vehicular area faster than 35 miles per hour. Operating a moped faster than 35 miles per hour is deemed by Virginia law to be operating a motorcycle, which requires you to title and register the moped as a motorcycle and obtain a motorcycle license.
c.Moped riders must carry some form of identification that includes name, address, and date of birth.
d.Although you do not need a driver's license to operate a moped, you may not operate a moped if you have been declared a habitual offender or your license is suspended or revoked for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
e.Moped drivers are required to abide by the same traffic laws and regulations as automobile drivers. Detailed information on Virginia's traffic laws and regulations is available in the Driver's Manual. In addition, certain local governments may impose restrictions on moped operation. Violations of the moped laws are considered a traffic infraction and convictions will appear on your driving record.
f.All DUI laws apply to mopeds operated on public highways.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

The way it should be
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:20 pm 
well just to let everyone know i just got pulled over 2 hours ago by a city cope here in elizabethtown Ky and from what i know i dont need a license reg, or no title to ride in ky but not by this officer he said it was illegal to ride on the road without a plate, the thing is the DMV will not let me register my ruckus because its 49cc so now i dont know what to do can anybody chime in on this if it ever happened to you this sucks.....

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:04 pm 
I have been reading about obtaining a license plate in Ga, but it is very confusing they won't give me one because it's not over 49cc. Can anyone shine some light on this predicament. :?

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

The way it should be
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:56 pm 
Im having the same problem but I was told by the cop im not able to ride on rodes over 35mph and that's hard for me but I got a plan to get a plate and get it registered not 100%....... if its going to work I hope so