Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
 Post subject: Helmet Laws by State
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:08 pm 
http://www.iihs.org/laws/HelmetUseCurrent.aspx

Morphesty 400cc

Ride Game Participant
Ride Game Participant
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: Helmet Laws by State
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:14 pm 
lol they used a met for one of the pics

One of Us
One of Us

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:14 am 
Although a state may not require a helmet, it may require other items, like eye protection in cheese country.

Litter Vigilante
Litter Vigilante
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:31 am 
Opitional use for experienced riders (more than 2 years on MC lic) is a good way to
rid the gene pool of the underserving (to reproduce)...

Helmets do protect from flying insects and keep head dry in rain. They are the two
major reasons I wear them. In crashes over 35 mph the helmet does little more than
a paper bag for protection. Full face helmets need a safety collar to protect rider from
neck injuries. Little attention is paid to this fact.

DOTsticker program is a scam by Feds and manufacturers who allege using the "guidelines" in making the helmets.

There is NO testing done by Feds of helmets. There is NO APPROVED model list. It's all
SMOKE AND MIRRORS much like the ENERGY STAR PROGRAM. This is the same Guberment
who monitors nuclear waste stored in steel casks above ground and says it's okay...

Buy something: http://www.cafepress.com/TotalRuckus

viewtopic.php?t=1305

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:09 am 
katmandoitall wrote:
It's all SMOKE AND MIRRORS much like the ENERGY STAR PROGRAM. This is the same Guberment who monitors nuclear waste stored in steel casks above ground and says it's okay...

here's a helmet for you, katman:

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:51 am 
even if your state doesnt requir a helmet your fool for not wearing one..

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:27 pm 
Took an hour and a half drive to Orlando lastnight My ruck and 2 others(Stokd_GE),(PeskyO) and an R1. Kid with a 150 swap (PeskyO) on his ruckus wearing a helmet and the R1 wearing a helmet and of course the both of them took a spill... Peskyo ran off the road not paying attention took a spill over the handle bars... hes fine and the kid on the R1 was run off the road by a semi... hes fine thank God. WEAR YOUR HELMETS!! even tho i dont.. i plan on getting one REEAALL soon :ucrazy:

MY AWESOME SUPER BADASS amazingly disturbing THREAD ---> viewtopic.php?f=94&t=55596

MyMisterWannaB
MyMisterWannaB

Bathroom mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:20 pm 
MyRuck2Nasty wrote:
i plan on getting one REEAALL soon :ucrazy:

not soon enough!

Jedi wrote:
Lots of good clamming and we grow our own milk.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:11 pm 
Another plus is they keep your face warmer in the winter! :mrgreen:

Space Docker
Space Docker

The way it should be
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:25 am 
Gotta chime in. My 2 cents for what it's worth:

Opitional use for experienced riders (more than 2 years on MC lic) is a good way to
Couldn't agree more. Gods way of thinning out the herd.

DOTsticker program is a scam by Feds and manufacturers who allege using the "guidelines" in making the helmets. Ditto.

There is NO testing done by Feds of helmets. There is NO APPROVED model list. It's all
who monitors nuclear waste stored in steel casks above ground and says it's okay...
Yes, but:
Snell does test helmets and a Snell certified helmets does meet some impact requirements. http://snellm2010.org/testingM2010.html That's why a Snell approved Arai, Shoei or Bell cost considerably more than a DOT approved helmet. It does more than just keep insects and rain off your face and head. It protects your brain in an accident. However, all this information and the best available helmet are useless if IT DOESN'T FIT PROPERLY! Believe it or not, your helmet should be as tight as you can comfortably wear it. A loose fitting helmet provides ablolutely no protection. all of this is my opinion, but I spent many years selling safety equipment in the automotive racing industry, worked with many different helmet manufacturers and I believe you get what you pay for. How much is your head worth?

"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time." - Mario Andretti

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:17 pm 
Tennessee Code Annotated

55-9-302. Crash helmet required for driver and passenger -- Exceptions.

(a) The driver of a motorcycle, motorized bicycle, as defined in chapter 8 of this title, or motor-driven cycle, and any passenger on any of these, shall be required to wear either a crash helmet meeting federal standards contained in 49 CFR 571.218, or, if the driver or passenger is twenty-one (21) years of age or older, a helmet meeting the following requirements:

• (1) Except as provided in subdivisions (a)(2)-(4), the helmet shall meet federal motor vehicle safety standards specified in 49 CFR 571.218;

• (2) Notwithstanding any provision in 49 CFR 571.218 relative to helmet penetration standards, ventilation airways may penetrate through the entire shell of the helmet; provided, that no ventilation airway shall exceed one and one half inches (1 1/2'') in diameter;

• (3) Notwithstanding any provision in 49 CFR 571.218, the protective surface shall not be required to be a continuous contour; and

• (4) Notwithstanding any provision in 49 CFR 571.218 to the contrary, a label on the helmet shall be affixed signifying that the helmet complies with the requirements of the American Society for Testing Materials (ASTM), the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), the Southern Impact Research Center (SIRC), or the Snell Foundation.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:59 pm 
racerx wrote:
Gotta chime in. My 2 cents for what it's worth:

Couldn't agree more. Gods way of thinning out the herd.

DOTsticker program is a scam by Feds and manufacturers who allege using the "guidelines" in making the helmets. Ditto.

Yes, but:
Snell does test helmets and a Snell certified helmets does meet some impact requirements. http://snellm2010.org/testingM2010.html That's why a Snell approved Arai, Shoei or Bell cost considerably more than a DOT approved helmet. It does more than just keep insects and rain off your face and head. It protects your brain in an accident. However, all this information and the best available helmet are useless if IT DOESN'T FIT PROPERLY! Believe it or not, your helmet should be as tight as you can comfortably wear it. A loose fitting helmet provides ablolutely no protection. all of this is my opinion, but I spent many years selling safety equipment in the automotive racing industry, worked with many different helmet manufacturers and I believe you get what you pay for. How much is your head worth?

I agree about the whole DOT thing, I've held/owned/used cheap chinese helmets I bought off of eBay that all have the DOT sticker, they have like one inch of styrofoam and a thin plastic exterior.... that DOT doesn't mean anything, it's just a reason for them to give you a ticket if your helmet isn't up to "spec"

and about the fit, I remember when I took the motorcycle safety riding course for my license, one of the things they said was "if you're not gonna fasten your helmet on, you might as well not be wearing it, that helmet is the first thing to disappear off of you in an accident if it's not fastened properly" i think it's funny how easy it is to slap on a helmet and feel safe even though you haven't strapped in your little D rings

I've been in a motorcycle accident, and thankfully my helmet fit well and I had it fastened tightly, the helmet screen didn't even stay on! lost it that night, still haven't found it and I ride by that road all of the time! lol well my point is, everything wants to move away from you during a wreck.... fasten your helmets boys and girls!

viewtopic.php?f=95&t=76445

Space Docker
Space Docker

The way it should be
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:55 am 
katmandoitall wrote:

Helmets do protect from flying insects and keep head dry in rain. They are the two
major reasons I wear them. In crashes over 35 mph the helmet does little more than
a paper bag for protection. Full face helmets need a safety collar to protect rider from
neck injuries. Little attention is paid to this fact.

DOTsticker program is a scam by Feds and manufacturers who allege using the "guidelines" in making the helmets.

I would argue several of the points you made. Test have shown the neck collars can actually increase compression injuries. There are 3 bodies outside of DOT that test/approve helmets: Snell, SFI and FIA. I bet this guy would argue your 35mph comment.
http://www.araiamericas.com/default.aspx?pageid=49

"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time." - Mario Andretti

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:11 am 
That's a great story, a little scary but it makes the point, I also agree with the weeding out of the gene pool, I don't think we need a law to make stupid people who don't care about thee own safety do something teu ought to do without being told by the law

viewtopic.php?f=95&t=76445

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:59 pm 
Just wear it. Its stupid not to have one especially when most drivers have no consideration or respect for any motorcyclist or scooter riders. A good friend just passed about a year ago by being ran off the road. The cause of death was a head injury that caused bleeding of the brain. Its not a matter of who looks better without one or about making a fashion statement but more or less the difference between being dead or alive.