Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

One of Us
One of Us

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Location: near Intercourse, but closer to Bird-in-Hand (Southeast PA)
 Post subject: Re: Safety Tip of the Day feel free to add
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:34 pm 
if you're not familiar with these, get familiar:

http://www.youtube.com/CaptCrashIdaho

whole slew of cycle safety vids...

cheers,
aLLen

Red. God's Color!
I'm meerly 1/10 (+or-12%) of the poster HiTechRedneck is.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:32 am 
This is a piece of advice I got from a long time motorcyclist and it seems appropriate.

You should not just ride as though you are invisible to other drivers, you should ride as though other drivers are trying to kill you.

Can't be too careful.

Space Docker
Space Docker
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:02 pm 
countzero94609 wrote:
This is a piece of advice I got from a long time motorcyclist and it seems appropriate.

You should not just ride as though you are invisible to other drivers, you should ride as though other drivers are trying to kill you.

Can't be too careful.

True dat !

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:59 pm 
Helmet, Some sort of eye protection, and brains. These People are out to kill the don't give a fuck About you or your ruck. All ways be weary of whats ahead. Use your brain and make decisions quick. :soap:

MyMisterWannaB
MyMisterWannaB
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Bathroom mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:17 pm 
expect everyone to do the stupidist thing in every situation

just becaus they are looking at you, don't meen they see you

keep an eye on your rear view mirror while sitting at intersections, and be prepared to dodge

make sure you're "tucked back in" before you zip back up

Jedi wrote:
Lots of good clamming and we grow our own milk.

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:00 pm 
Keep your brights on at all times

2016 48 Hours of Ruckus Winner

Space Docker
Space Docker
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:14 pm 
Well my wife's heard my rant , so I'll share wit ya . I had about 4 cars come fully into my lane today going the opposite way . :shock: First dipshit is coming up on a bus pulling out , dosesn't feel like stopping (must crap his style or sumthing . Its required by law to let the bus back into traffic .) Coming towards them I see the bus signal on and a guy boots it to cut the bus off . I see the front wheels cut and luckily I have a way out in between the parked cars . Everything happens fast sometimes so automatic reaction is all you got . I got my finger up quick enough for him to see . Then same thing later along another street . A slow travelling car coming opposite way , see the second guy cut his wheel again , so hit the brakes and all 3 cars behind him come flying into my lane to pass . Luckily I play that "what if" game in my head , helps to cut down on reaction delay . Sometimes I wish they'd let us run an optional strobe light or headlight modulators in the front to get more attention but they'd probably say it would distract the cage drivers too much . :shock: ... end of rant . :)
Watch those left turners too peeps . :wink:

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:28 pm 
backlater wrote:
Well my wife's heard my rant , so I'll share wit ya . I had about 4 cars come fully into my lane today going the opposite way . :shock: First dipshit is coming up on a bus pulling out , dosesn't feel like stopping (must crap his style or sumthing . Its required by law to let the bus back into traffic .) Coming towards them I see the bus signal on and a guy boots it to cut the bus off . I see the front wheels cut and luckily I have a way out in between the parked cars . Everything happens fast sometimes so automatic reaction is all you got . I got my finger up quick enough for him to see . Then same thing later along another street . A slow travelling car coming opposite way , see the second guy cut his wheel again , so hit the brakes and all 3 cars behind him come flying into my lane to pass . Luckily I play that "what if" game in my head , helps to cut down on reaction delay . Sometimes I wish they'd let us run an optional strobe light or headlight modulators in the front to get more attention but they'd probably say it would distract the cage drivers too much . :shock: ... end of rant . :)
Watch those left turners too peeps . :wink:

can you use this? it's legal http://www.comagination.com/modFaq.htm

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I fuck like you wanna fuck, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not viewtopic.php?f=92&t=40592

Space Docker
Space Docker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:20 pm 
I'm really considering one at the moment . :)

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:49 am 
I like trying maximum breaking once a month. Pick a road with no cars on it that is straight. Find a spot on it that your compfortable slaming on the breaks. I usually find an object on the side of the road to start the practice stop. Then just do it. Work your way up to maximum breaking. You don't want to lock it up and crash right off the bat. I do this for a couple reasons. Tells you if you breaks are adjusted properly. It also gives you a good idea of what the bike will do if you have to do this in real life.

The last time I did this I realized the rear would lock up to fast. So I adjusted it out. That very day some old lady almost used me a as a speed bump, but I was able to stop in time, under control.

I've been doing this breaking practice for 15 years on all my bikes. It definatly helps.

-Mike

'08, Daytona rear shock (very nice!), JC lightened flywheel (helped a little), KN variator w/ 6 gram weights (nice acceleration now), Briggs & Stratton air filter, shaved drive face=2-3 MPH top end :). Finally went past the light :):):)

Space Docker
Space Docker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:29 pm 
I was taught the same way and still practice all the time . If your going to ride at 50mph you better learn to stop at 50 mph and so on . Great advice Mike . :)

Photo of the Week
Photo of the Week
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:06 pm 
P-Dub wrote:
Keep your brights on at all times

In daylight, yes that's great. In this state it's actually suggested in the motocycle operator's guide. After dark is another story. First, at least here, it's illegal and will get you ticketed. Second, it's very dangerous. It blinds the oncoming traffic. Unless you really do want to be invisible, it's not a great idea.

On the topic of light- CHECK YOUR EQUIPMENT!!
On my morning commute this morning I was behind a scooterist who had one of his two tail light bulbs out and BOTH of his brake lights were out. When I told him. he had no idea.

Space Docker
Space Docker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:55 pm 
I ran across these vids today . Enjoy ... http://www.howzitdonecrash.com/60_Second_Lessons.html

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher

Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:29 pm 
The importance of All the Gear All the Time.

Morphesty 400cc

Photo of the Week
Photo of the Week

The way it should be
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:08 pm 
chucktuna wrote:
The importance of All the Gear All the Time.

Not just not wearing gear, but not wearing gear during a TEST RIDE! As in he just made repairs and was testing to make sure the bike was safe to operate. I dunno about you, but IMHO that's the best time to be wearing gear.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next