Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Safe way to lock it up
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:14 pm 
Just sharing some tips from the bicycling world about locking up your scoot...

Don't use a cable lock - they are very easy to snip.

U-Locks are also a no-no, since the way they're designed allows the thief to get a crowbar (or pipe) into the u-part and gain leverage to break the lock open. I saw a vid once of a guy snap one apart in like 15 seconds.

Bike messengers all use the heavy duty chain locks like the largest Kryptonite lock - the chain links are designed to deflect the snips so they're harder to get through. Round chains might be effective, but the angled ones are better for deflection...

When you lock up your scoot, keep the chain off the ground. You always want to think about where the thief can gain leverage to do the snipping, off the ground and in an awkward position could help. Leaving the chain on the ground just makes it easier to both gain leverage and pound the links apart once they're loose.

Of course it's common knowledge that some thieves use freon to make the chains brittle, then smash them apart. If they're doing this to your chain you're pretty much screwed. The little bits help though.

Sorry if this is a repost or whatever, but I keep reading about locks and stolen rucks and haven't seen this info posted. It was useful to me so there you go...

Grammar Ninja
Grammar Ninja
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: Safe way to lock it up
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:20 pm 
When you say cable lock, are you also referring to Kryptonite locks?

I'm in a fairly small town in mid-America w/my fiddy, so teh odds if it being jacked aren't nearly as high as a lotta peeps on here, but I bought a Kryptonite lock for my Trek and also use it on my fiddy when at night classes. Though when I'm home it's in the living room :twisted:

I don't think the thieves in Rolla, MO are sophisticated enough to be rockin' tools powerful enough to jack a Kryp lock. But I could be wrong.

#5 v1.0

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:32 pm 
yeah even the kryptonite cable locks. basically most thieves are using those huge bolt cutters with 3-4 foot handles so they can cut right through those things in one pass. you're prob ok in a small town, but those bolt cutters are pretty easy to come by. i had a tricked out bronco stolen in montreal once, i was just there on break from college. the cops told me the russian mob was stealing tons of cars and bikes and loading them directly onto container ships (port city) - point being it's not always locals stealing your chit. you're prob okay though.

Photo of the Week
Photo of the Week
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:16 pm 
The problem is that those chain locks are only 2' - 5' long, and that seriously limits your options for locking to something. Around here with a chain that short, most of the time I'd wind up having to lock to something that would be far easier to cut through than the chain, if I could reach anything at all. Then to make things more challenging, in the city proper, the scoot has to stay in the street, so if you want to lock to anything, you'd better have something long enough to reach up onto the curb and back.

I use a Masterlock Python adjustable cable lock with a 15' cable. No, it's not the most secure, but it gives me the most opportunity to lock to something.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:00 pm 
the shorter the chain the better though. it's safer. fyi i have that kryptonite chain myself and have no problems locking it up to all kinds of heavy duty stuff. what part of the bike are you locking up? that may be the prob. i lock up the rear frame, so all you have to do is back it up to something. it's not a good idea to lock the wheels, they're easy to unbolt and a common way thieves steal bikes.

Grammar Ninja
Grammar Ninja
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:09 am 
Russian mafia, eh? I knew some o' those dudes back in Houston.....and they didn't give a rat's fuck about scoots. Now, yer Merc or your Porsche? Whole 'nother thing altogether.

Bitches steal scoots. Plain and simple. Small-time fucktards. So you have to defend yourself against the small-time fucks.....so, yeah, they may be carrying bolt cutters. Cool. But I have the ONLY scoot like mine w/in 100 miles. Bitches will have to deal with my arsenal when I find 'em. And the fact that I have ALL the #'s offa my scoot recorded and filed with the local PD and the campus PD.

I'm from Texas....we shoot first and ask questions after the funeral :evil:

#5 v1.0

Photo of the Week
Photo of the Week
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:35 pm 
_logan_ wrote:
the shorter the chain the better though. ... what part of the bike are you locking up? that may be the prob.

As for the length of the lock, the nice thing about the Python is that it's adjustable. You pull all the excess slack through the lock body, so you can make it as small as you want, but if I need more length, I've got it available.

As for what part of the bike I lock- Depending on how much slack I have. If I don't have much, I lock through the holes that many people use to install their pegs. If I can get close enough to something and have enough slack, which is usually the case, I wrap the cable around the entire floorboard and cinch it down.

I can't lock through the back part of the frame, because I've got the screen kit that encloses that whole area for cargo storage.

And like mentioned before, A lock is better than NO lock.

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:09 am 
A friend of mine has a Harley... and he uses a German Made chain...
he says it's almost foolproof....

whatever that means...
:wasted: :pirate

n00bie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:16 pm 
what other alternatives are there? I was contemplating how to use the ruckus as a commuter but fear the fact that if i do use it to say school and back.... leaving it out in the lot where i have no supervision with it for 3+hours upsets my peace of mind. NEvertheless, the damn thing is so light i can pick it up and walk around with it.

Space Docker
Space Docker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:59 pm 
leoftw wrote:
what other alternatives are there? I was contemplating how to use the ruckus as a commuter but fear the fact that if i do use it to say school and back.... leaving it out in the lot where i have no supervision with it for 3+hours upsets my peace of mind. NEvertheless, the damn thing is so light i can pick it up and walk around with it.

I use a 5 ft Kryptonite HD cable , alarm ,& black cover . No worries ! 8) oh and lotsa insurance .

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:34 am 
leoftw,

Photo of the Week
Photo of the Week

The way it should be
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:46 pm 
The nice thing about the longer cable locks is that you can often lock up to one of the light poles in a parking lot. On top of that, they often waste most of a spot with those lights that a cager can't fit in, but it works for the Ruckus.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:36 pm 
HiTechRedneck wrote:
Russian mafia, eh? I knew some o' those dudes back in Houston.....and they didn't give a rat's fuck about scoots. Now, yer Merc or your Porsche? Whole 'nother thing altogether.

Bitches steal scoots. Plain and simple. Small-time fucktards. So you have to defend yourself against the small-time fucks.....so, yeah, they may be carrying bolt cutters. Cool. But I have the ONLY scoot like mine w/in 100 miles. Bitches will have to deal with my arsenal when I find 'em. And the fact that I have ALL the #'s offa my scoot recorded and filed with the local PD and the campus PD.

I'm from Texas....we shoot first and ask questions after the funeral :evil:

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:55 pm 
Just lock a pit bull to the scooter. Problem solved :idea:

One of Us
One of Us

The way it should be
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:17 am 
^ so the thief will get licked to death? put a Chihuahua under the seat, that will keep people away.