Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ   * Search 

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Used Honda Helix vs. Yamaha Morphous
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:16 pm 
So....I am a new scooter-er and have had about a one-year love-fest with my Honda Ruckus. She is awesome! But I now want something bigger to play with. My options, based on taste, are either around $2K on a Honda Helix with around 10K miles or $3K on a Morphous with around 2K miles. I am a zen rider and NOT mechanically minded. I can afford either one, but of course, spending mo' money always sucks. Any advice??? Thanks.

Zombies
Zombies
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

2011 TR Donor
 Post subject: Re: Used Honda Helix vs. Yamaha Morphous
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:59 am 
Morphous.

:highfive:

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:39 am 
Has the Helix ever had the rollers, belt, clutch pads, etc, changed??

http://www.facebook.com/AbsoluteScooterClub?ref=stream

2004 Honda Helix Yelixor
2008 Genuine Stella Red
1976 Vespa 150 Super-Project

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:07 am 
I will ask about the Helix. It looks like a one owner bike that has not been modified at all. I am leaning towards the Morphous because I am not that keen on having to adjust to a foot brake on the Helix. However, the Morphous has only 200 miles on it -- which for a 2006 but -- why?? -- and does that cause any issues? I have asked the seller why....not sure about what issues come from a bike sitting for that long.

E

Zombies
Zombies
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:48 am 
sinkronizzity wrote:
I will ask about the Helix. It looks like a one owner bike that has not been modified at all. I am leaning towards the Morphous because I am not that keen on having to adjust to a foot brake on the Helix. However, the Morphous has only 200 miles on it -- which for a 2006 but -- why?? -- and does that cause any issues? I have asked the seller why....not sure about what issues come from a bike sitting for that long.

E

There are a lot of people who like the idea of scooters and talk themselves into it and then have buyer's remorse once they start riding, they realize that riding isn't for them or they are simply scared off by relatives or the size of the bike, and the Morphous is quite large. On a 2006 with 200 miles you should really only have to change the oil/filter and maybe bleed the brakes.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:24 pm 
SpoonKiller wrote:
sinkronizzity wrote:

E

There are a lot of people who like the idea of scooters and talk themselves into it and then have buyer's remorse once they start riding, they realize that riding isn't for them or they are simply scared off by relatives or the size of the bike, and the Morphous is quite large. On a 2006 with 200 miles you should really only have to change the oil/filter and maybe bleed the brakes.

That sounds true. I have had my Ruckus about a year and have put 1500 miles on it driving all over the place. Dodging trucks and such is scary on something so small, but also, because of the size, it is really manageable, and I was wondering if I could handle a bike that big. Is going from nothing to a Ruckus to a Morphous or a Helix in a year like going from crawling straight to running? Should I be looking for a smaller in between scooter? I am 6'3" and 230lbs -- any recommendations (other than "lose some weight!"). Thanks for all the feedback.

E

Zombies
Zombies

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:34 pm 
You're a big dude, you should have no problem handling a bigger scoot. The Helix and Morphous will be be a little over twice the weight of a Ruck. With one year's experience you should have a good idea by now whether or not scooting is for you. :banger:

One of Us
One of Us

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:30 am 
You'll have no problems.

2004 Honda Helix Yelixor
2008 Genuine Stella Red

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:28 am 
I don't know about the Morphous, but the Helix has a very low center of gravity making it very stable and easy to maneuver, and also a low seat so both feet will be grounded when you stop. Do not worry about your height and weight since both scooters will be able to handle that and more. Good luck amigo!!! 8)

1987 Honda Helix 250 c.c.
1973 Vespa Chiao 50 c.c.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:06 pm 
Thanks everyone! Going to look at the Helix tomorrow. The seller told me one panel was replaced after golf ball hit it. Seems reasonable enough, what with all the golf balls flying around the area. Whatever. If the bike is basically sound and I can get it for cheap I have this adolescent fantasy of tricking it out like the Tokyo scooter guys do with the Fusion. Anyway, I appreciate all the feedback and the support. Thanks again.

E :)

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:45 pm 
Hey -- quick questions again. I got the 2006 Morphous (black) with 300 miles down to $2900 which seems reasonable. Anyone disagree? But I am wondering if I will have any difficulty getting parts in the future since they're discontinued. Anyone have any sense of that? Thanks!

E

Admin
Admin
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:22 pm 
I bought my '08 morphous with 50 miles on the clock for $4k. You have an awesome deal if you get that morph.

As-far-as parts availability, Japanese manufacturers are supposed to carry parts for at least 20 years.

One of Us
One of Us

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:27 am 
Get it!

2004 Honda Helix Yelixor
2008 Genuine Stella Red

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:39 pm 
Did you buy it? If so, please post pictures!!! :lol:

1987 Honda Helix 250 c.c.
1973 Vespa Chiao 50 c.c.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:10 pm 

Hi everyone. I bought the Morphous for $3900. It has about 350 miles on it. It's beautiful. I was a little intimidated about going from a Ruckus to a Morphous. I had it hauled over and the first time I rode it, it felt really awkward. Then, I stopped trying to ride it like a Ruckus and put my legs up like I was a woman getting a OB/GYN exam and it was a great ride :) The only thing I need to figure out is how to lean into turns and counter-steer given how long this thing is. Plus it's so durn cold I don't have enough chances to ride it. Thanks so much to everyone for all your help in deciding what to buy. Oh by the way, the guy who transported it got a few scratches on the body panels. Any advice on how to buff out scratches from that kind of material? And yeah...cranking the throttle and riding on that thing after a year of riding a Ruckus was like hip hop dirty dancing with Jennifer Lopez after square dancing with Oprah :)

E