Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: My Honda Reflex
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:19 pm 
so i got this bike with around 5000 miles on it.

to make a long story short i got the bike for cheap ($1600) from a motorcycle dealership that had just got it running well enough to get me down the road. (unknown to me) One day about 30 min from the house the bike stopped running and left me and my wife stranded/pushing the bike most of the way home on a hot summer day (with full riding gear!) The issue is it would just die during the ride and wouldn't start back up unless we pushed it for a little while (or so it seemed) angry as I was i decided to get on the internet and search for possible reasons for my problem on the internet, downloaded the pdf (for free here http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Manual ... Manual.pdf) and got to work

what I found was a gas tank full of rust and a fuel filter ignored and full of grime ( the guys at the dealership instead of replacing the fuel filter just cut the fuel like before the carb and put another one) so i used a jar of pennies and some por15 marine clean to get the rust out of the tank. replaced the fuel filter ( the correct way not the shady mechanic way) and went again and cleaned all the fuel lines and the carb. after a slight warm up and idle adjustment the bike ran great again.

here it is 100 miles from the house! my longest ride in a single day ( you may notice I removed the grandpa windshield or that i had the bottom fearing painted with spray on truck bed liner, the speakers are just some stickers I put on it to be funny)

I've put about 1500 miles on it so far I ride it as much as i can stand the heat!

Because of my desire to modify ( I cant leave good enough alone) I started to look into custom ideas for the bike. the first thing (and the easiest) was a K&N air filter.
I did (and have been keeping accurate track of each MPG during fill ups) notice a bit more get-up and better gas mileage from it. then i wanted to try to adjust my handle bars. i took the plastics off and loosened the bolts holding the risers ( making sure to first mark where they were so i could return them back to stock ) and played with different variations around the block.. eventually i decided to try some motorcycle handlebars.

so I measured the bars to find the right size and went to a local Harley shop ( Honestly surprised by how much I was welcomed rather then frowned upon) and after carrying different options outside to hold near the stock ones to try and decide the bars I liked. I ended up with some clubman style ones

here are the old bars for comparison

and here is a front/side shot of the bike's new look ( it looks and rides more like a sports bike now)

I also removed the rear reflectors and cut the mudguard (so I could still use the oem license plate light)

next i'm looking into some sort of exhaust. my goal is to have it stretched and lowered with some sort of body styling added to it.

feedback appreciated!

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
 Post subject: Re: My Honda Reflex
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:50 pm 
I like it!
If it were me, I'd cut down the "grandpa" windscreen to as low as you want...straight across if needed at the bodyline, but it would still fill in the gap left at the base.

Morphesty 400cc

Ghosts
Ghosts
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:58 pm 

Looks sweet, but this should be in the members rides section. :mrgreen:

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:23 pm 
chucktuna wrote:
I like it!
If it were me, I'd cut down the "grandpa" windscreen to as low as you want...straight across if needed at the bodyline, but it would still fill in the gap left at the base.

the only reason why i didnt do that is because i assumed i'd just screw it up and it is a Givi windscreen, so i'm going to attempt to trade it for a stock reflex sport windscreen ( because they are shorter) or just buy a short one from japan. it kindof flairs out at the bottom so it would be hard to make it look good. If anyone on here is interested in it they can pm me for pics of it.

XxMal3volent wrote:

Looks sweet, but this should be in the members rides section. :mrgreen:

i wasn't sure... i plan to put build information in here so people with questions could just look in this section for more info. If a moderator wants to move it that's ok with me!

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:09 pm 
I received a nice little surprise today

more pictures tomorrow after a scooter rally

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:35 pm 
so I got my exhaust installed, LOVE it! I work as a graphic designer, and we do vehicle wraps.. we had about a 6 foot roll of an orange that we didn't need for a customer that was getting his vehicle done and so iIdecided to take the scrap orange and some scrap carbon fiber and wrap my scooter with it.. I think it looks ok... but i'm not sure if I'm going to keep it.. anyway here it is front & back next to my 8th gen civic. from the front I'd say it looks pretty similar to a sport bike.

I also bought some lowering brackets that attach to the rear lower suspension, you can kind-of see them in the back picture

here is a short video clip of the exhaust for those interested

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhAB37-LJMc&feature=youtu.be

if you are impatient skip to 00:55 after I drive off because I go down the street to turn around.

anyway that is it for now.. I'm about to order a few more things to add so look foreword to more from me!

Ghosts
Ghosts

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:28 pm 
Looks tight with all of your improvements especially the vinyl. A buddy from my work does vinyl wrap and was gonna help me do something with my wheels.
Since you're in this field maybe I could just ask here?
Have plenty of ideas for "themes" but I'm wondering if there is a reflective wrap out there?
Might have read something about the heat or stretch makes it difficult to pull off and look super legit?

CoW sold
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=70472

Peenix
viewtopic.php?f=178&t=72833

87' Elite ch250 sold

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:16 am 
the peen wrote:
Looks tight with all of your improvements especially the vinyl. A buddy from my work does vinyl wrap and was gonna help me do something with my wheels.
Since you're in this field maybe I could just ask here?
Have plenty of ideas for "themes" but I'm wondering if there is a reflective wrap out there?
Might have read something about the heat or stretch makes it difficult to pull off and look super legit?

yes they have reflective vinyl in most colors or you can print an image/design on a reflective white vinyl and the whole thing will be reflective with the colors used. we use that method for the lettering on police cars that we do. As far as vinyl goes if you stretch it too much the color will become lighter. (because it's becoming thinner) a little stretch is fine but too much will look bad, not get the right amount of adhesion and could break/ peel off. heat helps a lot when trying to install it we use propane torches to help work the vinyl. it's not too complicated but you have to work at it for a while to understand how the stuff responds just takes some practice. I don't think it's that difficult

Ghosts
Ghosts

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:53 pm 
On my old CoW ch80 id thought about wrapping the whole scooter due to its low visibility.
The visibility and plastics on my helix are ok but the previous owners paint skills leave room for improving.
So with that said, vinyl may be on the table again.

CoW sold
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=70472

Peenix
viewtopic.php?f=178&t=72833

87' Elite ch250 sold

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:00 pm 
I just ordered a wirus win (japanese brand) intake (replaces the oem air filter box and is tunable by allowing more or less air) some front lowering springs ( because the ones I previously ordered were for the wrong model scoot :headbashing: ) a set of lightened roller weights (for a better 0-60 times I got 6X15 grams which will be 90 grams total as compared to the oem which I believe around 150 something) a light throttle valve spring and a set of carburetor jets ( for easier acceleration and a tunable carb once I get everything installed.) after those parts the only thing I can do to add more power is a better cam, a big bore kit, or nitrous (all of which I probably wont do until after my bike is stretched!) seems like the hardest thing to get for this bike in the USA is a styling kit ( body kit) look foreword to an update in around 10 (going by the previous shipping time) days or so!

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:24 pm 
Today I finished wrapping the rest of the front that was red, (minus the back of the fender and the inside but I think i'm going to paint that...) I made some plastic covers to cover the holes (that were broken when I got the scoot) for the front turn signals ( I made them out of some honda mudflaps I took off of my civic) and I made some wooden floor plates. I think they came out pretty good!

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:58 pm 
This is one one great looking scoot. I'm ready for a big scooter or motorcycle, and I'm currently eyeballing a 05' Reflex or a 2010 Tmax. How is this bike handling on the freeway?

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:09 am 
pseudonem wrote:
This is one one great looking scoot. I'm ready for a big scooter or motorcycle, and I'm currently eyeballing a 05' Reflex or a 2010 Tmax. How is this bike handling on the freeway?

thanks! i've only ridden a ninja 250, ruckus, gsxr 650 gsxr 700, stella 125 and the current reflex 250. the reflex feels better on the highway then the ninja 250 did but that may be just preference. the gsxr's are in a totally different league so they are no comparison. the ruckus was slow but plenty of fun. the stella (which is a vespa copy more or less) was probably the most uncomfortable for me ( just the seating position and lack of legroom, i'm 6'4) if you want to go fast get a gsxr for sure. if you want a bigger scooter i would say a reflex, honda silver wing or a yamaha majesty are pretty good choices. as far as highway goes i have no trouble for the most part. the only thing that becomes annoying is how most people assume because you are on a scooter that you are slow and sometimes feel the need to pass you even if you are doing a good 10+ mph over. that's annoying. i got caught in a huge rainstorm yesterday. the strong gusts of wind can push you around a bit but i assume that is with any bike. other then that and passing by a semi on a 2 lane over 50mph can push you a bit but most cars and trucks leave you pretty much un-effected. its more confidence and attentiveness then the bike in my opinion.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:31 pm 
today's post is going to be a bit of a how-to as well as what I did today

these are today's new parts/tools

assuming you know a guy that has a universal holder (or you can make one yourself) this is a FREE modification often called a "K-mod" here is the part number for the tool...

here is the step by step...

first remove the floorboard

then the side fairing

this is the area that you need access to

remove the variator fan vent/filter (there is a little $2 filter inside i replaced it because it was cheap, and mine was missing)

then remove the back crankcase protective cover ( i like how it looks almost the same without it)

here is what is underneath the cover

we will be working with the front portion ( the variator sp? the back side is the clutch) to remove the variator fan you can use a impact wrench but i have ocd so i wanted to do it by hand (you can also see i broke part of it by trying to do it without the proper tool!)

the tool goes in the holes like so...

i actually used a ratchet w/extension like so, so i didnt have to hold it

once you take the nut/washer off you remove the fan pulley

then the variator

inside you have a cover with slides

and weights

all you have to do is take the black ones out

you may also notice in the picture above that the black ones' spots are indicated by a "BL" near the outside edge

put everything back together, leaving out the black weights of course

and instillation is reverse order from removal

NOTE: the torque for the variator pulley is 69 ft lbs as indicated by the Honda service manual (there is a link to it in the first post)

after about 60 miles here are the differences i noticed

0-20mph is slightly faster

20-50mph is a large improvement

60-70mph is slightly slower

my best guess is 0-60 is around 4-5 seconds faster

the bike looses approx 4 mph on the top end ( for my bike, the previous top speed was 83 mph tonight i reached 79 mph)

for a FREE modification you can't loose!

i will update with mpg changes later if there is anything worth noting. i will also be playing with some different weight options later when my shipment from japan comes in but currently it is not going to leave until the 15th of this month (Aug)

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:09 pm 
so good news, my package that wasn't supposed to leave japan until tomorrow is already in state! I should be receiving it tomorrow. (hopefully) so tonight I'm gonna tear all the plastics off and get the carb ready for the re-jetting, intake off for re-placing etc etc i dont know how much power difference i'll be looking at but the butt dyno isnt all the accurate anyway! only bummer is it's supposed to rain the next few days, BUT the weekend looks great and the locals are having a scooter rally this Sunday so i'll get to test it out thoroughly. i may pull my plug and see how the air fuel ratio looks after adding the exhaust, so far i've filled up 6 times and the gas milage hasnt been effected at all by the addition of the muffler or the changing (removal) of the roller weights. the box i ordered also has 6x15 gram weights so i'll try that in comparison to the k-mod to see which one i prefer.. more to come soon!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next