Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TR

The way it should be Parking lot mechanic
 Post subject: Ruck On Fire, Help!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:47 pm 
Well this day just went and took a big ol dump on me. Got my new throttle cable and rear break cable in and finished fabing a mount for my overflow bottle. Got it all installed and go to turn the key over. Fuel pump kicks on (had to pull the fuel line, it was kinking bad, so added a slightly longer hose between the filter and pump). Push the start button, nothing.

Oh hey, dummy, didnt plug the wires back into the front break for the safety start switch. Push the start button, cranking, cranking, not really catching. Then it stops, low fuel light kicks on. Well i got my boat anchor down, kick it off that down level, press start, nothing.

Then i smell something.... Something burning, smoke is trailing out of my batt box at the neck. I make the mad dash for the screw driver, dragging the ruck with with me, because putting the kickstand down wasnt on my mind apparently, zip those screws off the batt box, there before me it looks like the smoke is coming from around the computer. It is the computer, oh shit!!!
I pull the top wire harness bundle connector off the computer and it stops trying to burn itself at the stake.

Disconnected the computer entirely and looked it over. A small pinpoint spot just below that main connector on the backside the black plastic is melted a bit. I plug it back in, no key in. And that same spot begins to heat up, disconnect the main wire bundle and it stops.

Any idea why this happened? The electrical ive done on the bike is:
New battery
Reroute some wires to free up some more space in the batt box (just unplugged them and moved them behind some of the bracket work and re plugged them)
Thats it.

I did have to charge the battery today because it went stone dead after sitting for the week, while i was waiting for parts, which i thought odd. Is this just a suicidal computer or is there something else going on?

The plug on the bottom of the computer is the input point for the power correct? So why is unpluging the top wire plug stopping it from getting hot?

Either way it looks like i need a new computer, dont want to fry a new one if its something else though.

Last edited by freeliner on Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TR

Post subject: Re: Ruck On Fire
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:33 pm 
Looking everything over, found a wire disconnected from the coil, yellow color.
Still dont think a loose wire or disconnected wire could created a back feed like that, help!

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TR

Post subject: Re: Ruck On Fire, Help!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:16 am 
Bump, help! Was dying to ride, any idea how to keep this from happening again?

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:33 am 
Gy6 swap... You won't need a ecu anymore.

After reading your post, no idea what could be causing youre ecu to be smoking.. Obviously it's shorting somewhere.

Ruck-U, Minnesota Chapter
HRGC Racing
http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=84764&p=1454401#p1454401

Duckwing and keygaurd guy

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:07 pm 
Ill be pouring over the wire harness, see if i can find anything.

Im wanting to keep it 49cc right now, not ready to do an engine swap. Maybe someday if i GET bored