Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

n00bie

Shop mechanic
 Post subject: 2003 50cc Ruckus Charging Issue
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:53 pm 
Hi all, new here. My son rides a 2003 bone stock 50cc ruckus, and we have replaced the battery twice. Periodically, the battery needs a bit of a top-up charge, so it sounds like a charging system problem. I'm going to test voltage output at the battery while its running, and that will tell me volumes about where the problem lies. I'll report back tomorrow with those details.

Questions:
1) The rectifier/regulator is part of the ECU, correct? If the R/R is the source of the issue, it sounds like a GY6 can be spliced in its stead. Is this recommended? What does a new ECU cost (I'm scared to ask). Best source for a GY6 R/R? I have a wiring diagram for a 2003, so I can use that to figure out the wiring.

2) If the R/R is ok, can I use an ohm meter across the terminals of the stator to ensure all the charging loops in the stator are OK? If its a stator issue, what will the voltage at the battery show when its running? Is there a guide with some pics in it to show which terminals to check?

3) The stator dual functions as a starter. I've been doing some reading, but haven't found material that outlines its operation. Any background or direction that someone might have would be very welcome.

Hints, tips, advice or guidance is all welcome.

Marlen.

Ride Game Participant
Ride Game Participant
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Location: the land of cotton... old times here are not forgotten
Living room mechanic
 Post subject: Re: 2003 50cc Ruckus Charging Issue
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:55 pm 
marlen wrote:

Questions:
1) The rectifier/regulator is part of the ECU, correct? If the R/R is the source of the issue, it sounds like a GY6 can be spliced in its stead. Is this recommended? What does a new ECU cost (I'm scared to ask). Best source for a GY6 R/R? I have a wiring diagram for a 2003, so I can use that to figure out the wiring.

If you do this the electric start will no longer work.

2) If the R/R is ok, can I use an ohm meter across the terminals of the stator to ensure all the charging loops in the stator are OK? If its a stator issue, what will the voltage at the battery show when its running? Is there a guide with some pics in it to show which terminals to check?

Yes you can test this way, however I suggest downloading the manual and follow troubleshooting suggestions. Charging voltage will be a direct reflection of idle speed.

3) The stator dual functions as a starter. I've been doing some reading, but haven't found material that outlines its operation. Any background or direction that someone might have would be very welcome.

It's Honda voodoo. No the ecu reverses the charges so the stator spins. This is quite difficult to explain but it works in 3 phases, hot neutral and dead.

Hints, tips, advice or guidance is all welcome.

Marlen.

How to post pictures <- clicky

n00bie

Shop mechanic
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:28 am 
I put a volt meter on the battery with the ignition off - 12.3V. At idle - 12.2V, at 1/4 throttle - 12.2V. Its not charging...

Does this mean it would be R/R (ECU) or the Stator/Starter?

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TR

The way it should be Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:31 am 
I don't think it really charges at idle. You've gotta crank up the RPM's. That's normal.

http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=106174&p=1656044&hilit=charging#p1656044

gy6 off-roader project
Yamaha C3

Ride Game Participant
Ride Game Participant

Living room mechanic
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:29 am 
marlen wrote:
I put a volt meter on the battery with the ignition off - 12.3V. At idle - 12.2V, at 1/4 throttle - 12.2V. Its not charging...

Does this mean it would be R/R (ECU) or the Stator/Starter?

Now find a means to check voltage at the center small pin on the (blue) relay next to battery with it running. That pin/relay returns the voltage to battery. It's the 5 pin relay. To do this I wrapped a thin wire around the pin and plugged it back in. Then could remote check voltage at other end of thin wire.

Ride Game Participant
Ride Game Participant

Living room mechanic
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:32 am 
BTW does elec start work? If not make sure connector on bottom of ecu pushed in all the way. That fell out once too.

n00bie

Shop mechanic
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:05 am 
The electric start does work, provided battery voltage is above 11.5V. I did the measurement with the engine revved up, and the voltage at the battery did not rise like it should.

I snagged this (2003 - 2005 Ruckus shop manual): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4RSxR ... =en&pli=1#

and printed off pages 237-240 or so. I have a bit of testing to do tonight. Will report back.

Ride Game Participant
Ride Game Participant

Living room mechanic
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:27 pm 

This is how that 5 pin relay is wired. In non activated mode 87a is the charge supply and 30 is the battery, 87 is the start system. If there is a bad condition inside the relay then power won't make it from 87a to 30. So pin 87a might have 14v and 30(the battery) only 12.2v .

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:53 pm 
I had the same issue on my 2003 Ruckus (just over 1000 miles, stock)- battery was not charging( same as your issue), but kick-start works, the electric start won't work(this is diff than yours). I only could ride a few miles then battery would go down. So far I found one fuse-20 amp blown, the blue relay was bad (it got really hot, had bubbles, I heard a loud pop noise while I was riding, the sound might be from the relay). Just purchased a new blue relay today, put it in tonight (10 mins ago), the electric start worked like a magic and the battery was charging!!! I am thinking something caused the 20 amp fuse and blue relay went bad........
Check your fuses and blue relay. May be we are having the same problem. I was going to post a new thread about the issues...... I'd follow your thread. Thanks for posting.