Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ   * Search 

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Ruckus won't start - wont turn over
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:18 pm 
So I'm at a loss trying to get my Ruckus to start.

Basically it's been about 0-15 degrees here recently. On one day it started fine, and I helped it idle for about a minute which is normal in these temps until it idled on its own then let it warm up before riding it.

Day 2 I start it and it starts right up and after a few seconds it stalls - which it usually does if I'm not helping it so I wasn't surprised when it stalled. Go to start it back up and it would start to turn but never turn all the way over and just click. This is all it has done now for the last week. If i try kick starting it, the kickstart after being kicked down wont come back up on its own.

I took the cvt cover off and checked and everything looks fine, I can turn the variator and everything by hand but it wont turn over with the electric start. I should also mention to be double sure I left the battery on a charger overnight and its still doing it.

Oil is fine, battery is fine, it started and ran fine for a few seconds like normal and stalled which again is normal in these temps when i don't help it idle, then went to restart it and this is all what started happening.

Any ideas?

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: Ruckus won't start - wont turn over
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:29 am 
Maybe it won't start cause the Weather is too Cold? :meh:

SlimClone: Fuck off Ron

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:14 am 
This sounds like the same issue that I was having a few months back. I would have to kick start it but would have to be pushing the start button as well as pull a bit back on the throttle and hold the brake handle. This sounds crazy but it would work test it would also try taking the battery inside to charge. It soon found to check the 20amp fuses to be sure they are not blown. After swaping my entire harness and engine I found out that that is the issue. I no long have had any issue starting. :highfive:

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:47 pm 
Ruckster Ron wrote:
Maybe it won't start cause the Weather is too Cold? :meh:

Originally what I thought which is why I didn't post this till now, because yesterday it was in the 40's and it still did the same thing. It always started before even in single digits.
rojasalex wrote:
This sounds like the same issue that I was having a few months back. I would have to kick start it but would have to be pushing the start button as well as pull a bit back on the throttle and hold the brake handle. This sounds crazy but it would work test it would also try taking the battery inside to charge. It soon found to check the 20amp fuses to be sure they are not blown. After swaping my entire harness and engine I found out that that is the issue. I no long have had any issue starting. :highfive:

The kick start hardly felt like it was doing anything. The electric start just clicks and with the cover off it only turns it maybe an inch then back, its like the electric start just doesn't have enough power to turn it all the way over. I'm going to bring it in the house today so I can work on it more comfortably and I'll put it on the charger again and take a video of it trying to start to post here.

★TR★Addict★
★TR★Addict★
Years on TRYears on TR

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:21 pm 
Do a load test in the battery

-Stephen

Instagram @SBREWER89

•My ruck- The Addiction viewtopic.php?f=95&t=71318&p=1235621#p1235621

•For Sale Thread - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=74450

•Upper Class White Trash•

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:04 pm 
Ok its a battery issue sounds like. Does your tail lights receive power when you turn the key. May sounds like a dumb issue but it could be a fuse. Check the yellow ones. If a yellow 20 fuse is blown my lights still come on but wot start. Check that then get a multimeter and read the batt level when the keys on and off.

★TR★Addict★
★TR★Addict★
Years on TRYears on TR

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:16 pm 
As rojasalex said, may sound dumb, but every time my ruck wouldn't start since I got it, more times than not, it was just a fuse!! :meh:
As for the kickstart, you could take the CVT cover off, then remove the bolt holding the variator on and make sure that the small plate that goes between the washer and fan drive face is reaching the geared threads. If not you'll be making a huge mess of that axle! :headbashing:
Worth a try. I don't claim to be any sort of expert. Just sharing some of my experiences since I started playing with rucks! Good luck, buddy! :highfive:

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:47 pm 
tail light comes on as normal with key on.

I took the battery in and tested it, while its putting out good voltage it did say it needed a charge. Thing is I charged it for a night the first night I had the problem and it didn't help. So anyway I have it here on the charger again, running a bit higher of a charge. Going to throw it back in tomorrow and try it. Otherwise I might just order a new battery and try, I'll check fuses first though. The battery is original, so it'd be 6 years old now.

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:16 pm 
Holy Shit 6 years! Lol your right defiantly check the fuses the. Replace the battery. Also be sure to check the grounds. If its not making a solid connection then it could blow a fuse and make it not want to start.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:52 pm 
I left it on a high charge all night and put it back in.
After trying to start it now it's just doing a ton of clicking worse than before.
Still is weird that it tested good, but it really sounds like a bad battery.

I checked all fuses and they're good. My buddy is giving me the battery out of his ruckus to try and see if thats the problem, if so I'll go ahead and order one.

Heres a video of what its doing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rko6wZ_m ... e=youtu.be

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:20 am 
well it's definitely the battery.
I left it on the charger all night on a higher charge and this morning it started right up no problem.

Sith Slayer
Sith Slayer
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:23 am 
I was just going to say it............it's the battery.

Even though it can hold 12v's or whatever it may not be putting out enough amps. These little batteries are finicky and the cheaper ones usually only last a year.

GETting 6 years out of the stock is good. I think it may be the best battery for it.

49cc-Sith Slayer-Mechanically disadvantaged-130 rear/2 shoe clutch
66cc-Annakin
49cc-2007 Honda Metropolitan- gonna make it super cute, build thread to come

Its easier to tell the truth than to defend a lie.......for some.