Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
 Post subject: Ruckus Starting Woes
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:10 am 
Hey all, im in the process of bringing my GET back after sitting for a year. Ive bought a new harness, battery, fuses, sparkplug, I've cleaned out the carb and replaced all the fluids. Now that its all back together, Im having problems getting it going. Most of the time when I turn the key I hear the relay open/close and no response from the fuel pump. Rarely, the relay will open and the fuel pump will start priming, but then it wont stop priming and flood the carb bowl. Ive reset my ECU to no effect, the killswitch is in the correct position. Could my starter relay be bad even though its a new harness? Could my grounds be an issue? Is my wiring wrong somewhere? The harness seems pretty straightforward :headbashing:

Slight update: I re-did my grounds, the rear is grounded to the engine on the rear brake mount hole, the front is grounded to the bracket that holds the ecu to the front frame. Is this OK? After I did that, the fuel pump primed properly and stopped when the carb was full. However when I tried to start it, I got it going temporarily, although it didnt hold idle. Now that I have it on the battery charger its back to not priming/relay woes.

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Garage mechanic
 Post subject: Re: Ruckus Starting Woes
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:33 pm 
Was it running before?
Why did you replace the harness?

Make sure that the front and rear frames have good contact, as the ground needs to be able to travel across them. (For example, if the frames have been powdercoated, make sure there is actual metal contact between them.)

2016 48 Hours of Ruckus Winner

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:16 pm 
I can't see the pics from the build thread, so I don't know what you are working with.

Sounds like two questions, is the starter working and will it run. Sounds like you got it for fire but it died out.

Work is back, make sure your starter is working, if so, then work on why it dies. Use starting fluid.

A good engine ground is on one of the head cover bolts. Like P-Dub sez, make sure you got solid grounds.

But it it fires and wants to run, and dies, that's a tuning issue.

Papa Smurf says it's drafty in here and those damn kids still won't get off his lawn. :smile:

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

The way it should be
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:40 pm 
Hey guys, thanks for replying. Ill post pictures tomorrow morning. I guess its been too long since I updated, the images have expired. I replaced the harness because it was beat up and I was experiencing the same issue as im having now - the relay opening and not engaging the fuel pump. I thought my terminal connections were too corroded, so know I know that wasnt the case.. My frames are both connected, the parts havent been powder coated, and when I painted the rear I ground off the finish on the connection to the front frame. The GET doesnt have a starter to my knowledge, maybe the stator could be causing this intermittent problem? I believe the reason it didnt idle is because I havent started it in awhile, if my battery wouldve kept up im sure I could have used starter fluid to get it going.

Update: heres the pictures. Im currently omitting things like the horn, headlights, front turn signals and rear brake until I can get it running, then Ill work my way into the other stuff.
As of this morning, I turned the key and got response from the pump. After it primed I tried starting it until the battery couldnt take it, I got it to rev and start moving but it died out on idle, after turning the idle up I can definitelty get it to go. Now after recharging the battery im back to no response from the push start or the pump. It seems to me that every first start of the day is successful, but after that im at a loss of what is going wrong.

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:26 am 
You said you have a new battery? Maybe you are killing it with too many attempts? (in reference to "first attempt of the day works, then no more")

Since you can get it to run (at least a little), why not use the kickstarter as a way to eliminate the starting system in an attempt to trouble shoot. (You're right, there is not an actual starter in a Ruckus.)

Beyond that, I'm outta my league!

2016 48 Hours of Ruckus Winner

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

The way it should be
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:03 am 
P-Dub wrote:
You said you have a new battery? Maybe you are killing it with too many attempts? (in reference to "first attempt of the day works, then no more")

I meant to clarify, I will turn the key to the on position and hear the relay open, then the fuel pump will kick on, and my starter button will work. But once I turn the key back to the off position and then again to the on position, it will go back to the relays opening, and then promptly closing again with no activity from the fuel pump, and no response from the starter button.

Thats my next step I guess, but will my kick start still work if the pump doesnt prime when I turn the key?

Update 10/10:
Ive run a multimeter over all my grounds, fuses, and the starter relays.. they are all good. The only thing I can think that remains is the ECU. The carb is cleaned out, infact if I let the scooter sit in the on position for long enough the relays will do the open/close every 30 seconds or so until randomly later eventually I will hear the relays open and kick on the priming of the fuel pump, then I can kick it or use the starter button and it runs, however this isnt ideal.

How can I check the ECU to see if its bad? I dont know anyone in my area with a ruck anymore to swap with, either they've sold out for a grom or let their own GET fall into worse disrepair than mine :headbashing: but I feel like the end is close! Big thanks to you guys for the help of course :banger: