Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

n00bie

Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
 Post subject: Top speed verified by GPS yesterday
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:08 pm 
I've always thought my wife's 2009 Vino 125 was doing pretty close to what the speedo says but not absolutely sure. Well yesterday I strapped the GPS to the handlebars and did some running. Wow, am I surprised. That little Vino is no slouch for a small scooter. The speedo is almost spot on for MPH. I can do 58-59mph on the level with a slight headwind verified by GPS. It has the factory windscreen and no mods and I'm no lightweight at 200lb. I did a couple runs up hill to see how that effected mph. I can do between 45 and 50 mph depending on the steepness and speed I'm at when I hit the bottom of the hill. I've averaged 83.3mpg US since my wife bought this scoot from another nurse at work. We live in a hilly area in West Virginia and the other girl couldn't keep ahead of traffic(she said). She is maybe 125lb soaking wet and I'm 200lb and I have no trouble keeping ahead of traffic on 2 lane roads posted 55mph or less(that's where this scooter belongs). I think she doesn't know that scooters need to stay locked up on the rollers and allowing the motor to spool down and unlock makes it hard to keep up the speed. I have other vehicles and an Adventure motorcycle but for saving gas $$$ around town for short trips to store or market this 125 Vino cannot be beat. Yes the motorcycle snobs do not wave and the redneck pickup drivers don't give me any slack but I'm secure in my manhood even if they are not. They just don't know how to have cheap fun....IMO.
Just had to write this as I really didn't think this scooter was really as fast as the speedo said. I can do almost 60mph on the level and couldn't ask more from any 4 stroke 125cc scooter. A real keeper..............Mike

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: Top speed verified by GPS yesterday
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:43 pm 
Do what u enjoy man! I've always thought on getting me one of these and doing a stretch with it.....it'd be a fun lil scoot that's essentially bulletproof.....the ONLY 2 things that drive me nuts about it are that it has a carb instead of FI, and (this is my understanding) any time u remove the tranny cover, u have to drain the final drive fluid?

viewtopic.php?f=93&t=88013

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:14 pm 
Lots of people are scooter snobs until they spend a little time on one.
They're fun, simple, and easy to ride around. Perfect for commuting around town.

Glad you're enjoying yours! :banger:

Ruck build/Scooter pic thread
DIY - $48 fatty, stretch, chin bone, exhaust, slammed front forks, lowered seat:
viewtopic.php?f=96&t=45778

n00bie

Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:33 pm 
It takes 1qt oil every 1,000 miles a dribble of differential fluid every 2 years. CVT is not wet. Super easy to work on and the carb has an automatic enrichner. It starts fine all the time without throttle cold and requires a tiny bit of throttle hot.
I've owned a lot of motorcycles, both big and small and rode many more. I think this little Vino 125 is more fun than most of them. If your someone that lives like I do in the midst of HD country, then you will hear a lot of negative comments. If your near the beach you'll have to lock it up as everyone will want it. I actually had 3 young men in a beat up pickup stop when I was gassing it in WV and say they really liked it and where could they get one. They were serious, that was odd? They were amazed at the over 80mpg I was getting. Lots of GI's that have been overseas make comments that scooters are all over the towns in Europe and Asia.
Just a shame Yamaha dropped the 125 Vino in the US.

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:44 pm 
I think their sales weren't quite the same as the Zuma 125's.....but I'd still like to get a Vino 125 w/JDM turn signals...... :mrgreen: and stretched of course! :banger:

viewtopic.php?f=93&t=88013

n00bie

Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:24 am 
I checked my speedo with my gps about 5 or 6 years ago. It was better than my wife's Infinity, within one mph. Just put a new front tire on and I should probably check it again.
Hank