Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: Vino Down!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:34 pm 
Had a couple more tools/parts arrive yesterday and today. The crank case gasket came today and yesterday I got my new sockets and torque wrench. The socket for removing the variator is a 22mm, and I only had a 21mm on hand, so I bought a set of 1/2" drive 22-28mm sockets from Sears. I have an old beam-style torque wrench, but figured that the transmission of my scooter warrented the excuse to buy a newer, nicer tool that would be much more precise - so I splurged on a new torque wrench. Problem was, my local sears was out of stock, so I went online and found out they had some online tool deal if you spent $100, so I got ~$20 off, which basically meant I got the socket set for free (woo hoo!).

Anyway, all of this is pointless drivel. I was going to just take the gasket, sockets and wrench downstairs to my work area (its basically a storage closet - so I won't call it a garage) but when I got there I decided it'd be a decent Idea to remove the variator to see what I was up against when it came time to do the roller weight swap. The rollers and sliders are the final pieces I'm waiting for, and I cannot wait til they get here.

Anyway, basically, I took some pics of the variator etc as I took it apart. Here they are without further ado:

Variator nut, washer, kick-start gear and outer pulley plate (I'm sure that's not the technical term):

The inner variator pulley plate. This is what you see after removing the outer plate.

The backside of the inner pulley plate, with the stock weights still installed:

Weights removed:

This thing is behind the inner plate and has 3 slider weights on it.

The tools I used to do the job: 22mm socket, 1/2" drive breaker bar, strap wrench (for holding the variator still) and a 1/2" ratchet after I broke the nut loose

Transmission with variator fully removed:

My super crowded work space:

I noticed a few cracks in the outer pulley plate. Not sure if this is something to really worry about, anybody got any itdeas?

All in all, I plan to get the bike put back together this week. I ordered a spare transmission case gasket in case I want to get in there again to adjust weights etc. Which I might hang onto for swapping out that cracked variator plate. None of the cracks were all the way through the aluminum, which is thicker than I would have thought, but it bugs me knowing they're in there. I didnt find anything that could have cut up or rubbed on the belt. The only thing I can think of is that the belt simply jumped the pulleys and got dragged along the backside of the clutch, which would have ground through it in short order. Its possible the shop put in a belt that was too long or something silly like that, and that enabled it to jump the pulleys, but I'd be awfully surprised if that were the case.

I'm out.

-Spool

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:03 am 
Those "cracks" look more like spiderweb patterns of extra metal from the casting process. it's pretty common for cast aluminum parts to have that look. I don't think it's abnormal or a problem.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:22 pm 
@Car54 You're right. The "cracks" are actually raised bonus aluminum.

I got Everything put back together this morning with the new 12g roller weights installed. Bike seems to run pretty well, but the jury is still out on the 12s. When I bought the scoot it had some sort of mods, but the owner wasn't really sure what was done to it. All I know, is that it was super fast. Then It tore up the belt last year, and the dealer put it all back to stock for me. At the time, I was just wanting to start with a fresh baseline. Well - that meant it got super slow, and with the stock 14g weights, it felt like the motor was lugging everywhere it went. I think the 12s allow the engine to stretch its legs a little bit, and really open up so I'm hoping that its a decent compromise between the way it was before the dealer "re-stocked" it and stock.

It seemed a bit more responsive than stock throughout the powerband, but I haven't had a chance to really open it up yet. I'm planning on getting cleaned up and taking it for a nice ride.

- A

★TR★Addict★
★TR★Addict★
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:59 pm 
Hey yo... It's been a long while.

How's the Vino :?:

ImageImage
TEAM Image 1%er

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:01 pm 
Hey C-Dawg (and others),

Vino's back up and running, but I haven't ridden a whole lot this season....maybe 300 miles or so. Its running well though, and I really ought to be using it more often. You remember I had the dealer fix it the first time. When the dealer did the work, I had them put everything back to stock because the previous owner had really messed it up. Then 200-ish miles later it chewed through another belt. I fixed it myself the second time and it seems to be holding up much better. I even swapped in some lighter rollers - i think 11 or 12g but its been a while, and I ordered a couple different sizes, so I'm not sure what I wound up putting in there.

Before it ate the first belt, the engine always revved too high and it wanted to roll forward at idle. This was no good, now it idle's like a champ, but it feels a bit sluggish on takeoff. After the R's get a bit higher it seems to run okay. Maybe I just need a clutch spring or something to make the throttle more responsive? It feels like the engine wants to go but its just being held back..... Maybe this is just what a 'more stock' bike feels like?

We've got a big group ride scheduled for this Sunday thanks to the ISN (I'm So Nice crew) based out of Seattle (https://www.facebook.com/groups/ImSoNice/) which is coming into my home turf, so I may link up with them for the ride.

- A

Last edited by spoolboyy on Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:02 pm 
I just re-read that post - it sounds a bit like I'm complaining or something....I'm not. The bike runs well - it just doesn't seem as peppy as I know that motor can be. What it is right now is mildly faster than stock and reliable.

- A