Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Shop mechanic
 Post subject: Dual Brake Light Mod
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:51 pm 
for those that still rock the stock brake light, and have more time then money check out this simple cheap mod

if you dont know the stock brake light is barely visible outside in the sun
its kind of stupid how yamaha puts 1 bulb in the center of a dual lens brake light

and when it gets low light, or night time applying the brake gives it an angry eye look because of the shadows inside. that sort of looks cool, but your still loosing a decent amount of red light that way

I inherited this light already taken apart, with the idea of doing something different inside I think it was supposed to be what I did, along with putting signal lights inside too. Now ive never seen a 3 filament bulb nor do I want to research how to add relays and all that to make them flash, and brake at the same time
So all im doing is finishing the project that was started but doing it my way

Start with taking apart the light, I decided I wanted to install a light bulb inside each lens
so you will have brake and running lights
Way brighter then the stock setup

The inserts are abs pipe fittings, can be found at home depot or lowes

I decided to use plug and play 1157 light sockets, the type that can screw into a notched hole
Didnt want to hard wire a cheap socket because these will all be glued shut so you need a way to remove the bulbs when they burn out
This does add some cost to the mod, but not much

I got them here
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131597756511?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
You will need to splice both together
And you will have to cut into the pipe cap the design of the socket tabs so you can screw it in and out to access the bulbs. Wasnt too hard just made a couple paper templates until I got it right then cut the plastic

I also priced out small wedge bulb sockets for the license plate light but I found this led strip to be cheaper, and you get alot I think like 2 feet so you can use it for other projects too

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160673618203?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

I think you could also just cut some slots or holes in the abs pipe fittings and the light from the bulbs may shine out enough to light up your plate
I know the led lights will work fine but thats something you could try if you want to save more money

I did decide to paint the inside of the pipe fittings with white epoxy paint, just to give the bulbs more refection inside. It may not have been needed but at the time I didnt have the bulbs yet so wasnt able to test that.
I do have metal tape too I could of used but didnt want any heat to make the tape come off one day
I think the paint can handle the heat
I will do a long test before gluing it all shut see how hot it gets. You could always replace with led they dont get as hot.

I added clear silicone glue around the outside of the pipe fittings to the red inside of the brake light lens to secure it

:chow: :LR:

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Garage mechanic
 Post subject: Re: Dual Brake Light Mod
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:14 am 
Good shit man. Safety first :wasted:

Build Thread
viewtopic.php?f=96&t=51876&hilit=intro

www.instagram.com/blackburngraves