Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

★TR★Addict★
★TR★Addict★
Years on TR

The way it should be Shop mechanic
2011 TR Donor
 Post subject: In need of help.. Just picked up a 1981 passport
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:58 pm 
Hi guys, I picked up a 1981 Honda passport and it has no harness or electrical components.. I know I can get a brand spanking new harness via eBay, but besides a battery what other components go on the harness? I'm meaning such as Cdi etc.. I only know ruckus's. Let me know if any of you guys have any idea! I appreciate it.

★TR★Addict★
★TR★Addict★
Years on TR

2011 TR Donor
 Post subject: Re: In need of help.. Just picked up a 1981 passport
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:50 am 
any info on this really would be appreciated! :highfive:

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:42 am 
Go to DrATV.com

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TR

Shop mechanic
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:46 pm 
From dratv.com

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/dratv/1981-passport-1.gif

Full list of diagrams
http://dratv.com/wiringdiagrams.html

Also, join the Yahoo C70 group. The message board format on yahoo is a pain in the ass, but the files section is very useful.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Honda-C70/info

Another source I found for lots of useful C70 info including a PDF downloadable factory service manual, which has proven very useful.
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:50 pm 
jrragsda wrote:
From dratv.com

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/dratv/1981-passport-1.gif

Full list of diagrams
http://dratv.com/wiringdiagrams.html

Also, join the Yahoo C70 group. The message board format on yahoo is a pain in the ass, but the files section is very useful.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Honda-C70/info

Another source I found for lots of useful C70 info including a PDF downloadable factory service manual, which has proven very useful.
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html

:highfive:

nicely done

Morphesty 400cc

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TR

Shop mechanic
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:20 pm 
Glad to help.

★TR★Addict★
★TR★Addict★
Years on TR

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:45 pm 
I appreciate it guys! Look like I have some reading to do, which I am perfectly fine with, reading is knowledge :highfive:

Mods please do not delete this thread so that I can continue to refer back :wasted:

★TR★Addict★
★TR★Addict★
Years on TR

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:01 pm 
Alrighty guys, I have a list of everything I THINK I'll need
I actually plan to go for more of a barebones rat rod/café kind of style on this so that being said I am running the legal minimum electrically.. here in MO you are only required to run a headlight and a running tail light that functions on at least one brake switch, so that is all i'll be running as well as whats required to run.. lol.. here's my list, call me out if I am forgetting something..

1. ignition
2. starter relay
3. 6v battery
4. rectifier
5. ignition coil

question, I plan to go kick start only, this being said is a starter relay/solenoid going to be required? I know whenever I did kickstart only on my kz200 I was able to toss that. Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it. :highfive:

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TR

Shop mechanic
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:29 pm 
You can ditch the solenoid. Are you going to block off the hole where the starter used to be, or just leave the starter in place but unhooked?

I'm doing a similar wiring job on an 83 with a lifan. Add CDI to your list and mine is pretty similar, no turn signals required in MS either.

Dont forget to add a headlight on/off and headlight high/low switch somewhere in there. Also the brake switch either factory rear, or brake handle microswitch on the front. I like having the front mounted brake switch, I don't always use the rear brake, so I want it to light up every time I grab the front brake lever.

★TR★Addict★
★TR★Addict★
Years on TR

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:40 am 
jrragsda wrote:
You can ditch the solenoid. Are you going to block off the hole where the starter used to be, or just leave the starter in place but unhooked?

I'm doing a similar wiring job on an 83 with a lifan. Add CDI to your list and mine is pretty similar, no turn signals required in MS either.

Dont forget to add a headlight on/off and headlight high/low switch somewhere in there. Also the brake switch either factory rear, or brake handle microswitch on the front. I like having the front mounted brake switch, I don't always use the rear brake, so I want it to light up every time I grab the front brake lever.

Since it's the 6V '81 model I don't think I need the CDI! Maybe I'm wrong!

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TR

Shop mechanic
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:36 pm 
You dont, I was saying that it was the one difference between your harness and the one I'm building right now. Mine has it, yours won't.

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:18 pm 
i would say just go with a full harness from one of the newer SYM clones, and throw a 125cc lifan engine in it. 12v system and no points. just a thought.

Honda PCX 150 2013 New Project

★TR★Addict★
★TR★Addict★
Years on TR

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:50 pm 
dem0nk1d wrote:
i would say just go with a full harness from one of the newer SYM clones, and throw a 125cc lifan engine in it. 12v system and no points. just a thought.

Sorry, I just now saw this!

Actually, what I thought was the perfect motor was actually not. It turned over perfectly and sounded like it had tons of compression (it even passed the ghetto finger compression test) but whenever I tested it with a guage I was only getting like 40 pounds :meh:
Took off the top end and the cylinder was way shadowy... So instead of getting it all remachined and taking that route, I decided to go with the lifan swap.

How big of a challenge would taking a sym harness and throwing a 12v lifan on it be?
I've swapped a ruck and work on vintage bikes, but I haven't been able to find a ton of info on swapping these little c70's.

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:47 pm 
distinctmotoco wrote:
dem0nk1d wrote:

Sorry, I just now saw this!

Actually, what I thought was the perfect motor was actually not. It turned over perfectly and sounded like it had tons of compression (it even passed the ghetto finger compression test) but whenever I tested it with a guage I was only getting like 40 pounds :meh:
Took off the top end and the cylinder was way shadowy... So instead of getting it all remachined and taking that route, I decided to go with the lifan swap.

How big of a challenge would taking a sym harness and throwing a 12v lifan on it be?
I've swapped a ruck and work on vintage bikes, but I haven't been able to find a ton of info on swapping these little c70's.

Here is what i would go with...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250cc-QUAD-ELEC ... 1694732439

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/atv-harness

should be really simple no dicking with harness, plug in play and everything is there even the ignition. =P this harness also has eletric start which i would suggest.

lifan motor is going to run you about 300.00 bucks if not a little more, and you'll need a carb. something like a 24mm is fine, and a assortment of jets. get a good quality name brand carb, and the rest will be fine.

Honda PCX 150 2013 New Project

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Shop mechanic
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:40 pm 
you can still use the old harness with lifan swap
you can use a new 6v rectifier, with new 6v battery if you want
home depot sells small sealed 6v batteries for emergency lights, found next to exit signs for around $25
very small and light

the engine runs off its own cdi, all you need to do is tie the stator wiring into the new 6v rectifier
and then connect that into the stock harness battery cable
that will power up everything
just put out 6v

you can make the headlight run off ac power right off the stator at 12v, so at least you can use a more common light bulb but it will dim at idle

you can change all the bulbs to 12v too if you wanted to as long as they make those for 12v
like the tiny ones in the gauge and use a 12v rectifier

but I would be careful drawing too many amps on that old wiring if its too small I would definately run the headlight off the ac side of the stator run a new dedicated wire for that
and you could rig up your own electric start switch and relay and use a electric start lifan if you wanted to if you convert to 12v

my old ct70 is still 6v with piranha 140cc engine
all I needed to do was run the headlight off ac power because the key switch for the headlight was going bad and the light would randomly turn off on dark roads, because the harness is 46 years old and the contacts in the key switch must be going bad

everything else is still the old wiring, works just fine (kickstart)

keep in mind the lifan will vibrate loose every nut and bolt, take extreme caution on the rear wheel sprocket bolts and nuts
one bike I had to tack weld the nuts to the sprocket because they would vibrate loose get caught up on the frame and lock up the rear tire on rides

:chow: :LR: