Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TR

Shop mechanic
 Post subject: 83 C70 Passport custom rear suspension
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:09 pm 
I've been searching for a while now for a source of custom rear shocks here in the US. I've found a million of them in Asia and some in the UK, but no luck so far here. I recently picked up 3 1983 passports and am going to do something different with each of them. The first on is going to get chopped and lowered bobber style with a raked springer style front end. I am trying to drop the rear end pretty low without going full out hardtail, but I'm having a hard time finding aftermarket shocks. I'm looking for something similar to these http://www.racingboy.com.my/absorber/it ... -universal

Thanks! I'll get some pics of the bikes up one day. I've enjoyed reading through a few of the build threads here, I look forward to starting my own soon.

edit: another example
http://www.minibikecraze.co.uk/shop/sho ... ack-shock/

Last edited by jrragsda on Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TR

Shop mechanic
 Post subject: Re: 83 C70 Passport custom rear shocks
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:11 pm 
I found a cheapish experiment to try. I just bought a used pair of shocks from a Tomos A35. 280mm center to center vs 330ish for the stock C70 rears. Roughly a 2" drop. I just hope the springs are stiff enough to keep the tire from rubbing the frame on the bumps. I might end up modifying a set of bump stops.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TR

Shop mechanic
 Post subject: Re: 83 C70 Passport custom rear shocks
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:42 am 
For anybody that might have been curious, the A35 shocks were the right length, and the spring rate seems to be pretty good also. The Bushing in the upper eye is made for a 10mm stud, so it wouldn't fit over the 12 on the C70. I stuck them on there with the bushings removed just to get a feel for it. I am going to modify the metal inserts that came out of them to fit over the stud on the honda. Overall, experiment = success.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TR

Shop mechanic
 Post subject: Re: 83 C70 Passport custom rear suspension
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:50 pm 
Well this project ended up morphing into a whole lot larger of one that initially anticipated. I made the A35 shocks work, but when I started to clean up the original swingarm the wire wheel ate right through the bottom side, it was rusted pretty bad on the inside. Instead of ordering another stock swinger I figured i would take it as an opportunity to play around with the welder and build a new one stretched out just slightly longer than stock. I've got it just about finished, I'll post a few pictures of it soon.

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:04 pm 
I used a Honda Wave swingarm, but couldn't find a long enough shock. I ended up moving the shock mount. Pick a shock, move the mount.

This was for a Cub '62 C102.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TR

Shop mechanic
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:19 pm 
Some pictures of the swing arm in progress. I cut the sleeves that the pivot bushings fit into out of the original swingarm and re used them. The tube is 1 1/2 x 3/4 that i cut out of a pallet that my zero turn mowers get delivered in. The only new part in the whole thing is the piece of 1" round tube that I used as the cross over. Its a work in progress, but getting close.

I'll start a build thread one day. I'm actually building 3 scoots at the same time... :ucrazy:

http://imgur.com/9kIhwKh
http://imgur.com/yU2TJZv
http://imgur.com/aloPycd

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:57 am 
That is how I started out. Now you can add the mount wherever.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TR

Shop mechanic
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:46 pm 
Thats one of the last things that I have to do before sanding and painting. I need the stud for the brake strap and the shock mounts. I haven't decided if I want to move them back and angle the shocks a little or leave them the stock distance from the pivot and run the shorter set of shocks that I have. I think running them in the stock position with the tire moved back some will end up with too much travel and potential tire/fender issues. I'm going to do some testing and find out.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TR

Shop mechanic
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:25 pm 
Just a brief update. I finished boxing in the back of the arm on the forks and welded a doubler plate in where the axle will go through each side of the arm. I cut the forked part off of the stock swingarm where the chain tensioners go and welded them onto the back of the new arms rather that trying to fabricate something. Overall it is all coming together well. Working on 3 bikes at the same time means progress on each one goes kinda slow, but I'm getting there. I'll snap a few new pics of the completed swingarm sometime and share them. The frame for the bike is going to get my attention now. I've already chopped the back to where I want it, I just have to weld the two layers of the frame together and find a way to give it a clean "finished" look. I am also filling in most of the factory holes in the frame as I am not going to run the plastic side covers and want it to be as slick as possible since that area will now be exposed. Lots to do and little time to do it all, but I'll get there eventually.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TR

Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:57 pm 
Very cool thread, keep the projects going.