Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: Rugger's 1982 C70 Project
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:27 pm 
Thanks Mike. I like the look of the lower chopped exhaust, but I know without a can on there it will be super loud, I might say the hell with the quieter exhaust.

It's awesome that I can go out to the garage and kick it once and it will start right up.

May:
Tires/tubes
TB 88 big bore
High cap oil pump

I'll figure out the exhaust once all that's done, then it will be stripping down to paint. I'll probably spray it myself (compressor, regulator and gun - not rattle can).
I need to figure out what other changes I'm going to make...p-clamps with moto bars, what tail and turn signals, probably similar to dem0nk1d.

Ride Game Participant
Ride Game Participant
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Living room mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:56 pm 
Man, last November at the turkey rod run (nations largest car show & swapmeet) I.saw three CT70's for sale, I told myself I will go home with one this year. We will see, I'd love to roll any vintage Honda :highfive:

fuck.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:27 am 
Gas tank is beyond restoration. I found that the filler opening was crumbling and the rust inside is pretty heavy.

I'll be throwing several items up on ebay and Craigslist soon to help lessen the damage of buying a replacement tank.

Front and rear rack are in awesome shape, so they should just about pay for the tank, assuming one is still available after I sell them. Also listing chain guard, tail and turn signal assy with all working lights, lenses and hardware, front fender and head badge as well will go.

Not much doing until May...in the meantime it's just tooling around on it and brainstorming...

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Shop mechanic
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:16 pm 
get a clone tank
plus some have fuel senders in them
you could rig up a fuel gauge since your bike is already 12v

I think symba was making new clones just recently
I saw one few years ago looked the same
but it had single seat not the really long seat

:chow: :LR:

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:05 pm 
I haven't had any luck finding any clone replacement tanks. I've thought about getting a universal tank and mounting it, but would rather not do anything too janky with the tank.

So...although I hate paying excessive shipping this seems reasonable, $70 (incl shipping) for a C90 tank with fuel level sending unit. I'm waiting on more pictures including the inside of the tank.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/gas-tank-reserv ... a2&vxp=mtr

My neighbor has offered his metal work/welding services to help me out, so I plan to make a plate to attach traditional moto handle bars. I'm sure his services will come into play more than that.

Top speed y'day was 46mph! Granted that was downhill with my 206lb a$$ on it. Sold the front and rear luggage racks, plus some brakes from a mountain bike, so that will pay for the gas tank and one of the Gazelles and tubes. Tail light assy was listed late last night and already has 6 watchers...so I imagine it will go at a good price.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:09 am 
Tires and tubes on their way...

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:56 pm 
Haha....remove the original air filter and guess what...you get 50mph outta the thing...downhill of course, but now it'll hold EDIT: 35-40mph on the long slight incline.

Almost makes me rethink putting on the 88bbk...not really.

Also cleaned the original carb and might put it back no to see how it does with the OEM carb.

Tires are here, so next up I'm going to look into getting some paint and start stripping it down for painting.

Last edited by rugger on Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher

Shop mechanic
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:22 pm 
I think you can go up 1 or 2 sizes on the counter sprocket to get more top speed
not sure if they make a smaller rear one

I did that on mine

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:13 pm 
Mike155cc wrote:
I think you can go up 1 or 2 sizes on the counter sprocket to get more top speed
not sure if they make a smaller rear one

I did that on mine

That would make a lot of sense. I'd be fine sacrificing some low end to gain a few more MPH. From what I read the 88bbk isn't really going to add much top end. I would like to get the speed close to 60 to make it a viable commuter or just fun weekend bike. If I lived in a non-sprawl city center, like much closer to downtown Austin it would be find with 40 being the top.

I have to say though, I am torn. I keep waffling between:

a) put the 88bbk and exhaust on it and keep it around for occasional commute and fun
or
b) keep the motor as is and try to sell it to the south Austin Hipster crowd, of course I could do option a and sell it, but wouldn't make sense to speed the money on the kit and exhaust. However, I didn't pay a dime for the bike and I have the clear title.

Either way it's getting new paint and a very different look, bobber style for sure. Lot like Demon's but going with a bright main color for sure.

Thinking about using an the old 70s Honda metal flake orange and flat back. If that orange metal flake gets too pricey I'll do like a hemi orange.

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher

Shop mechanic
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:26 pm 
gearing is going to keep the top speed pretty much the same too so dont forget about that

why not the lifan 125 engine swap, its not that hard to do and much more power
they even have semi auto ones

I put a piranha 140cc on my ct70 I think it does 60 on small 10 inch wheels and thats a crazy ride on such a small bike
super reliable

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:12 pm 
Mike I have been thinking about that as well. I don't mind going with a manual clutch either, but I don't want this project to become a money pit. It's all for fun or might be a flip for something more fun.

I have been looking at the Lifan 125 and 140 and Piranha 90 to 140. Piranha 140s seem to be out of stock many places, but def leaning towards the Piranha. If I do a Chinese I would keep the Honda for another project bike or sell it separate.

They would cost about the same as the 88bbk, but then bigger carb for the above (but I'd do a bigger carb on the 88 too), throttle cable, clutch cable, clutch handle, air filter begin to add up and put the price close to $600, and there's still the exhaust. I was hoping to keep the drivetrain/exhaust budget under $600.

Bottom line here is I feel like a woman trying to make decision on this...and I'll just have to make a choice. Until I decide on the engine I will move forward sorting out the the rest of the build.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:42 pm 
Tires and tubes arrived. Picking up some rim strips locally tomorrow along with a small pod filter.
Gas tank has been purchased, but coming from Greece might take it a while. I did talk him down to $65 including shipping.
I should be getting primer and flat black paint from an auto body buddy this week and will get the wheels primed and painted soon, then be able to get the strips, tubes and tires sorted out. I know, baby steps...

Still just milling over engine options...afraid I won't get much out of the 88bbk, wondering the same about the Lifan 125cc (super cheap in tbolt right now), really want something that can cruise at 55-60. Thinking the 140 or 150 would be the way to go, but the price get's out of control after adding it all up...on the other hand $300 shipped though the Lifan 125 4 speed semi is sounding good - minimal investment there - pretty much plug and play with new peg mount and exhaust. http://tboltusa.com/store/lifan-125cc-e ... -1811.html

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:57 pm 
Tbolt guys are super helpful too... Good place to deal with..

Ruck-U, Minnesota Chapter
HRGC Racing
Instagram: greyduckcustoms
http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=84764&p=1454401#p1454401

Duckwing and keygaurd guy

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher

Shop mechanic
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:44 am 
I dont think you will be cruising at 55-60 unless you mean full throttle

to me cruising is 1/4 throttle so I would think even the 125 can cruise at 45mph and have good power to get up hills or pass soemone

what I wish is those cheaper engines have 5 speeds because then cruising at 55 could be possible

remember your on skinny tube tires, crap suspension and not much travel

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:30 pm 
Yep, I guess I mean pinned 60mph to pass and take the hills. Cruising 45-50 on the small rollers around town with plenty in reserves would be nice. If I could pin it at 60 for 5-10 mins to safely get into Austin that would be reasonable. It sounds like a 125 4spd could handle that.

On that note, perhaps the cooler temps tonight are a contributor or just a generous GPS reading (although the speedo was pretty much pegged), but according to GPS 57.9MPH tonight.

https://www.strava.com/activities/294522031
Avg Max
Speed 25.2mi/h 57.9mi/h

I'm not counting on this set up to consistently do 50 though.

I think I just decided to say "WTF" and pull the trigger on the 125 and pipe. Hopefully they have 1 left in 2 weeks - gotta wire from stock and being an insider makes the process slow.