Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

One of Us
One of Us

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
 Post subject: Re: '73 Trail 90
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:39 am 
digging it!

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:26 pm 
This whole time, I haven't been able to get spark. Checked my coil, good. Spliced on a new wire. Replaced my points, condenser, and a number of connectors. What I didn't replace got a good dose of electronic cleaner and some dielectric grease. I had spark at the points, and occasional spark at the plug... WTF?!

This morning I realized that the wire connecting to the points was on backwords, and grounding against the cover when I put it on. Flipped it around and it started on the first kick. :headbashing: but :banger: at the same time.

I'm riding bitches!

Gonna get my winker relay this weekend, buy some mirrors, and I'm ready to go get legal. FAAAAAAAK YEAAAAAAHHHHHH

Photo of the Week
Photo of the Week
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:24 pm 
This thing is dope!! :highfive: :banger:

mnnthbx wrote:
He's running our pipe. Either it made too much power and spun the rear, or was so loud he went blind and crashed.... 50/50.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:18 pm 
Let's see some daytime photos! The bike looks great!

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:21 pm 
Soon enough! I got it running, and it runs pretty nice. I think the timing advance spring is shot though, as after going off throttle it stays revved up. The slide in the carb is returning, and it's only after you physically slow the bike down/apply brakes to the rear wheel that they drop back to idle.

Main issue is, I don't think it's charging. The (brand new) battery went damn near dead after 2 or three rides of less than a mile.

I'll try to get some better pics soon... Kinda want to get the front fender mounted and the clearcoat on the painted bits before I take any more pics.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:10 pm 
update Im thinking about picking up one of these.

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:54 pm 
So I fiiiinnnnaaalllly got to work on the CT90 a bit this morning. I got the front fender pretty well sorted, and mocked up a much better exhaust. I had been running a straight pipe with a diffuser at the end, but it was just too loud to me. I chopped the stock muffler up previously and found it's two chambers, so I just stuck one chamber on. It's not welded yet. Also haven't welded up the hardtail sleeves yet, because I want MOAR LOW

Got some new pics, too. As of 15 minutes ago:

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:35 pm 
I just welded up the exhaust this morning. Also welded up the hard tail, and did most of the wiring for the winkers. Was having charging issues, and my new battery is dead.
I'm done with this 6V bullshit, I'm converting to 12V.

I talked to a guy here that had done a 12V conversion on his K4 and he said he just replaced the battery, rectifier, and bulbs.

Does this sound legit?

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:03 pm 
diggin it trav!!!

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:16 am 
Thanks for the comments guys!
I think I solved the charging issue... or at least it seems like it. Narrowed down a bad ground on the rectifier. Clearcoated a bunch of stuff yesterday, and mounted my mirrors too. I cleaned up the spark advancer shaft and reset my points. Then I ran out of energy because of a damn cold. I just started it today and she runs like butter.
Ran it down the road and it still sputters a bit at balls-out in 4th gear, and takes a second to drop revs after blipping the throttle. This was, however massively improved by returning the carb to stock position (facing back of bike) and routing the throttle cable directly from handlebar->between legs->carb. Looks awful, works wonders.

I also fixed the throttle control/twist and turn signal.
Three weeks ago, I started the bike and put it in first to pull it into the carport (open on both ends). When I hit the throttle, it stuck wide open and shot me straight towards my landlord's brand new car 15 feet away. Somehow I got it pointed away from the car and missed it by about 6", only to hit a rock wall behind the carport and lay the bike down. Broke a turn signal, put some small scrapes in the paint (on the bike, not the car!), and got some nice raspberries down my left side. All in all I came out lucky.
I'mma leave the scratches in the paint, just so it doesn't try to claim another round of 'first blood'.

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:26 pm 
Figured out my carb float was taking on fuel. I ordered another PZ19 off ebay, and it should be here monday. In the meantime, I had 17 days off thanks too a bunch of childish assholes in congress... I did lots of detail work; tidied up wiring, signal mounts, touched up some spots in the paint and went through using the Hawaii safety check as a guide. Got my MC license, too. I hope to be riding soon.

Ride Game Participant
Ride Game Participant
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Living room mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:26 pm 
So cool, the vintage shit is. If I knew how to make one run good id wanna get one, maybe some day! Nice work Trav

fuck.

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher

Shop mechanic
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:54 pm 
puna_trav wrote:
Figured out my carb float was taking on fuel. I ordered another PZ19 off ebay, and it should be here monday. In the meantime, I had 17 days off thanks too a bunch of childish assholes in congress... I did lots of detail work; tidied up wiring, signal mounts, touched up some spots in the paint and went through using the Hawaii safety check as a guide. Got my MC license, too. I hope to be riding soon.

my float did the same exact thing
but at 11pm on the darkest most desolate road and super cold

luckily I was able to use my spare gas can to get to a gas station
only to have the carb overflow the fuel out the whole time but I was able to make it to my dads barely

but mine was the stock carb so im using an aftermarket one now

:chow: :LR:

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:40 am 
Hey Mike, just out of curiosity, when your float sprung a leak, did it suddenly feel like it had the choke on?

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher

Shop mechanic
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:27 pm 
nope
I ran out of gas

then when filling from the spare tank I noticed gas all over the ground

make sure you check for air leaks
on that plastic intake spacer I always put rtv on all those fittings I dont care if they use o rings or paper gasket
ive had brand new ones leak

just get some brake cleaner and with bike running spray all over those areas if idle drops or dies you have an air leak

there are so many things to check if its running weird

I always had a bad studder when accelerating and even had to replace the spark plugs every 100 miles until I replaces the valve seal
now im over 300 miles on the same plug

for mine I ended up slowly replacing every electrical part on the bike after that
and later found my little weird miss when accelerating was because the turn signal was on
if its off I have perfect running bike at acceleration
couldnt believe how long that took to figure out

and I couldnt set timing to specs I had to advance or retard it by feel on the road to get how I wanted it to run
mostly it effected acceleration and high revs in first gear
but its possible my cheap tach wasnt the best and I was never really at the correct idle when setting the timing anyways

:chow: :LR:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next