Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: '73 Trail 90
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:40 pm 
It's legal and riding! Got it plated and inspected last wednesday, and I haven't driven my car since.

Mike, I'm learning more and more that the CT90 will always have a little 'character' in the way that it runs. If I could just solve my charging issue, I'd be fine with everything else.
It runs great for about 30 miles. Then it sputters and eventually dies when the battery goes completely dead. I'll probably get 50 miles out of a full charge. I replaced the (already installed) Radioshack rectifier with a new unit, have a new battery and a new ignition switch according to the PO. I've gone through all my connections and resoldered the butt-ends to the wires on most of them and put dielectric grease in every connector. I have new bulbs throughout the bike, and new control switches, all wired according to the wiring diagram from the CT90 forums...

Thing is, I am TERRIBLE with electrical work. I got a digital multi-meter and have tried to test voltage while its running and the numbers just jump all over the place. I used a test bulb and there is continuity everywhere. I have no idea if it's the meter I bought (a cheap walmart special) or user error with the DMM. None of my friends work on bikes or do electrical (my cousin did, but he moved to Cali!) so I'm at a bit of a loss as far as my skill level is concerned. I've tried to read about it or watch Youtube videos on electrical testing and I feel like they are just making up words 30 seconds into it.
:headbashing: :headbashing: :headbashing:

I'm kinda dumb that way.

I'll post some new pics soon.... Looking back on the posts, a lot has changed. New exhaust, seat, speedo (that always reads 85 mph!) and some other good stuff.

Even with the issues it has, this is already the best bike I've ever owned. I can't wait till it runs good!

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:20 pm 
Well, tried an analog multimeter today and got actual voltage readings. Talked to an old retiree volunteer at the park who used to be an electrical engineer and he said that I was seeing voltage spikes on my digital multimeter and to try an analog. My landlord had an analog one, and I was reading around 7v at over 2500rpm. Must be a bad battery. Gonna order another one and see what happens.

Also took a ride up to work and took some pics. I relocated the carb to the stock position today, and it solved all my stuttering issues on the highway. I was keeping up with traffic coming back down the hill, and seemed to be holding a pretty solid pace on the way up. My speedo always says 85+mph, but I know most people pass anyone going less than 55 mph on this particular stretch.

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Shop mechanic
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:03 pm 
there is a ct90 website
and once a year they have a gathering at some guys house and will all help to work on bikes
even sell parts if you need them there
like a 2 day thing

I lost all my bookmarks so cant remember the site
maybe you can find it

I think that gathering may have just passed, or is coming soon

:chow: :LR:

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:50 pm 
Well, solved my charging problem. Apparently the PO had wired the lights into the ignition circut. In my infinite electrical knowledge I rewired it the same way when I reassembled the bike. With the help of a friend who understands electrical, the charging problem is fixed... but now the headlamp gets too much power. I blew out the original 6v bulb, and a 12v version of the same wattage (25watt low beam). I tried a 55watt fog lamp I had lying around and it works without blowing... and is REALLY bright. Gonna do some more testing and see if I'm hurting anything.
Also gps'd this bastard today. 56 mph on flat land and 63 downhill in a tuck. W00t!

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher

Shop mechanic
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:01 pm 
my electrical is all stock but everything has been slowly changed to new
headlight runs off battery key on headlight is on
I think the reason why is because of the ancient charging system

not sure if you know but if you run no battery , or dead battery you will blow out all lights when using them
the battery acts as a buffer for the spikes
spikes are normal

so im guessing the last mod you did to the headlight was take it off the battery?

mine does 50 all the time
55 sometimes flat ground probably tail wind

but my acceleration is a dog super slow compared to my passport

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:47 pm 
Yeah, according to the schematic we found, the headlamp was supposed to run independent from the battery on an independent set of coils on the generator... as far as I understood. Everything else works perfectly this way, aside from the popping headlamp bulb. :wasted: My method of wiring involves plugging things in until I stop letting smoke out of the wires, so take my explanations with a grain of salt.

I'm gonna have my buddy take a look at what I did next week and tell me if this is something I should un-do... otherwise, I'm just going to mod the housing to accept a bulb that won't blow under full rev because that fog lamp was WAAAAY brighter than the stock headlight, which was next to useless.

As far as speed goes, it's no dragster, but since I do a lot of highway riding, I'm happy to have the long legs. I'm running a 15/45 sprocket combo (if I remember my count correctly) which is what the PO had put on it. From what I've read I have the longest ratio available, but I could be wrong. I think I need to adjust the needle in the carb a bit as midrange feels a bit flat, but otherwise she runs like a top. I've spent so much time trying to get the thing running long enough to ride it that I haven't even started trying to tune it :mrgreen:

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher

Shop mechanic
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:26 am 
well mine is a 79 so I dont think it would be much different from yours
and the light comes on with the key, which means its tied to the battery
if you want to solve the blowing bulb problem it needs to be on the battery

I will look up the specs on mine see what it shows for the headlight

of course the 2 sources for pdf I got both dont open now
since I need to look up 77-79

n00bie

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:18 pm 
Lovin this scoot, looks great!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:06 pm 
Hell yes love it :highfive:

Appear interested when not and vice versa ..... sun tzu

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:38 am 
Wow, I haven't been on TR for almost two years... I still have the CT. I got it's electrical issues sorted about 3 months after the last post, and I have put quite a few miles on it since. I had it as a lowered hard tail for a long time, and then decided to convert it back for semi-dirt duty about 6 months ago.
It's stock for the most part, and I plan to keep it there, although I might swap on the 110 jug later and see if I can get a bit more oomph out of it without losing the low range gear box.
I apologize for the quality of these pictures, I haven't owned an actual camera for a while... so you get phone pics.

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:31 am 
So, after riding this thing ratty for a couple years, I decided to make teh pretties and teh fasties.
New paint and rear tire, 104cc DrAtv big bore, DrAtv hot cam (once it's back in stock) and 110 carb. I'm hoping to be able to run the 40 tooth rear sprocket off of an ST90 parts bike I got once all is said and done.

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:34 am 
INSANE! :banger:

Ron says it's drafty in here and those damn kids still won't get off his lawn. :smile:

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:49 pm 
Love it!!!

'The Darkness'