Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TR

Posts: 12
Gender: Dude
Garage mechanic
Offline
 Post subject: Rear brake light not working
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:52 pm 
I have the brake switch wired up and it works to start my ruck. My tail light ,r6, works as running light and the blinkers work. When I squeeze my front brake lever it doesn't illuminate signaling braking. Any ideas? Thanks ahead of time!


Top
 Profile  
 

Ride Game Participant
Ride Game Participant
User avatar
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Posts: 19364
Location: Mt. Zion
Gender: Dude
The way it should be Living room mechanic
2011 TR Donor
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Rear brake light not working
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:28 pm 
You're in the matrix!

_________________
SHAKKA
Image
Be like BOB ROSS
fuck.


Top
 Profile  
 

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
User avatar
Years on TRYears on TR

Posts: 311
Location: VT
Gender: Dude
The way it should be Garage mechanic
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Rear brake light not working
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:57 am 
Getting power to the wires? Properly grounded? Wires backwards?

_________________
------------------------
Red rOOckus
gy6 super stretch
gy6 off-roader project
Yamaha C3


Top
 Profile  
 

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TR

Posts: 12
Gender: Dude
Garage mechanic
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Rear brake light not working
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:26 am 
joel1234567 wrote:
Getting power to the wires? Properly grounded? Wires backwards?



Power is ther Bc the running light function works and also the motor starts when lever is depressed. Everything is grounded. Wires for your brake switch can go on either way... And for good measures I did switch them and got the same results.


Top
 Profile  
 

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
User avatar
Years on TRYears on TR

Posts: 311
Location: VT
Gender: Dude
The way it should be Garage mechanic
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Rear brake light not working
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:48 am 
Power to the running light doesn't indicate that you have power to the braking light. Check the power to the braking light when the brake lever is depressed with a voltmeter to make sure it's getting power. If no power, it's a non-light issue (like wiring/fuse/etc). If you have power, it's a light issue.

By "wires backwards?" I meant to make sure you don't have the wires hooking into the brake light reversed. Not the brake switch. Power to an LED can only go one way.

_________________
------------------------
Red rOOckus
gy6 super stretch
gy6 off-roader project
Yamaha C3


Top
 Profile  
 

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TR

Posts: 12
Gender: Dude
Garage mechanic
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Rear brake light not working
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:48 pm 
joel1234567 wrote:
Power to the running light doesn't indicate that you have power to the braking light. Check the power to the braking light when the brake lever is depressed with a voltmeter to make sure it's getting power. If no power, it's a non-light issue (like wiring/fuse/etc). If you have power, it's a light issue.

By "wires backwards?" I meant to make sure you don't have the wires hooking into the brake light reversed. Not the brake switch. Power to an LED can only go one way.



I gotcha. I'll check that out tonight. Prior to tearing it down and putting it back together the light worked. Maybe it got banged around somehow. I'll check the power at the rear connectors. Thanks for the info.


Top
 Profile  
 

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
User avatar
Years on TRYears on TR

Posts: 311
Location: VT
Gender: Dude
The way it should be Garage mechanic
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Rear brake light not working
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:36 pm 
If you have power at the connectors and the wires are not backwards try hooking the light up directly to the battery. If it doesn't light up you may have blown it which might indicate a bad regulator.

_________________
------------------------
Red rOOckus
gy6 super stretch
gy6 off-roader project
Yamaha C3


Top
 Profile  
 

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TR

Posts: 12
Gender: Dude
Garage mechanic
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Rear brake light not working
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:41 pm 
So I hooked up the volt meter to my green/yellow where the brake light plugs in and I get power when the brake lever is pulled. I guess my tail light is no good anymore. I ordered a new one so I don't have to screw with it anymore. Thanks for all of your help!


Top
 Profile  
 

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher
User avatar
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Posts: 5593
Location: Soggytown
Gender: Dude
The way it should be Garage mechanic
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Rear brake light not working
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:56 pm 
Have you tried jumping the light straight to 12 volts? Like straight to the battery? That would easily confirm if the light was functional or if the issue is further upstream.

I would try that before I opened a new light I didn't really need.

Obviously make sure the battery has a healthy charge on it first.

Also, on stock controls there is a switch on each lever, do neither, one or both not work? I've had brake switches needing 'adjustment' after a bar swap. The connections get pulled out sometimes.

Keep us posted!

_________________
'Projekt Go Phast'

'The Darkness'


Top
 Profile  
 

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TR

Posts: 12
Gender: Dude
Garage mechanic
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Rear brake light not working
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:59 pm 
Version2.0 wrote:
Have you tried jumping the light straight to 12 volts? Like straight to the battery? That would easily confirm if the light was functional or if the issue is further upstream.

I would try that before I opened a new light I didn't really need.

Obviously make sure the battery has a healthy charge on it first.

Also, on stock controls there is a switch on each lever, do neither, one or both not work? I've had brake switches needing 'adjustment' after a bar swap. The connections get pulled out sometimes.

Keep us posted!


I have good power at the rear connector to the light for the brake light when lever is pulled. Battery is full. I'll take a look at the switch itself in the lever... But pretty sure it's good to go. I have Adelins on now and have the left side switch coming on Saturday. im hoping once that is hooked up I'll get a better idea if it's the light or the switch. I'll keep ya posted. Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TR

Posts: 12
Gender: Dude
Garage mechanic
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Rear brake light not working
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:02 pm 
Ok so I did some troubleshooting...

Brake switch works to control brake light.

If I have the tail light hooked to constant it is bright like the brake light being on.

If I unplug constant and leave the brake light wire plugged in it works but comes on as bright as the running light should be.

So switch is good, power is good, and light is good.

Not sure what's going on with it. Everything is grounded as it should be and obviously I have power.


Top
 Profile  
 

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TR

Posts: 12
Gender: Dude
Garage mechanic
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Rear brake light not working
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:27 pm 
Ok...

So I have figured out the issue. After combing through every combo of wording to search the internet I came across an issue with the wiring on the light to be wrong.

I swapped the red and white wire on the tail light and it all worked perfect.

Ruckus R6
Brn/blk White
Grn/yel Red

Per install instructions white should be with the green and yellow and the red with the brown and black. Not in my case.

Hope this helps anyone that may have this issue. Thanks for all the help and suggestions!


Top
 Profile  
 

n00bie


Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Posts: 3
Gender: Dude
The way it should be
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Rear brake light not working
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:24 pm 
KDMMike wrote:
Ok...

So I have figured out the issue. After combing through every combo of wording to search the internet I came across an issue with the wiring on the light to be wrong.

I swapped the red and white wire on the tail light and it all worked perfect.

Ruckus R6
Brn/blk White
Grn/yel Red

Per install instructions white should be with the green and yellow and the red with the brown and black. Not in my case.

Hope this helps anyone that may have this issue. Thanks for all the help and suggestions!


Yay a year later and this worked for me too. Thank you!!!!

_________________
When you shower with your clothes people think your crazy, when you shower nekkid people can see your nuts.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Check out who is online and not out riding.

Rucksters browsing this forum: No rucksters and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
 
Copyright Owners: click here to report copyright infringement

Technophobes: click here if you are having issues registering or logging in

TotalRuckus.com 2005-2015 (That’s 10 F’ing years!) - All Rights Reserved --- Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group