Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Uneven wear on rear tire.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:35 pm 
Hey ya'lll

the rear tire on my BR has worn out unevenly. looking at it from the back the left side is noticeably more worn than the right side, with a flat spot 45' from the bottom center of the tire. the question is does thin indicate there is some type of wear in the rear bearings or differential. i hear no sounds to indicate there could be a problem. the last of my parts order is here, (front brake rotor pads,rear shoes, new clutch and housing ect...)and i do have a new tire as well. i am just curious if there is anything in particular i should look for while the rear tire is off and drive train is dismantled?

thanks...

Iron Butt
Iron Butt
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: Uneven wear on rear tire.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:20 am 
I think its completely normal.....
all of mine wear out the same way (and with about 70,000 miles on 2 Big Rucks, that's about 15 rear tires on two bikes, allowing for 2300 mile worst case with a City Grip up to almost 7000 with an IRC SS-550).

Several people at CCoN commented on my almost worn out PowerPure with over 6000 miles....
most of the tread still visible on the left half, most of the tread GONE on the right half.
Even the dual compound tread of the PowerPure tires didn't make a difference.

The suggestion was made that something was out of alignment, but the worn out tires have ALL looked like that since the first one.

It's the monoshock.....
even with an aftermarket shock like the Ohlins or YSS, the asymmetrical loading of the left mounted shock rolls the right side of the tire towards the road.
You don't feel it happening, but if you wear your tires as low as I usually do, you can clearly see it.

"You live and learn......at any rate, you live."
~Douglas Adams

CANADIUS MAXIMUS
CANADIUS MAXIMUS
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:54 am 
I believe the hanger-mount for the engine is adjustable .
If memory serves me correctly, there is an eccentric in the mount, which will adjust the angle of lean .....I will check the shop manual on this

:canuck:

2005 BIGUS Ruckus

viewtopic.php?f=95&t=41664

....ya....thats right...."PS-600".....bite me

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:12 pm 
@CM, Thanks i have a manual and will check it out, the tire was under inflated when i bought it so that might be a contributing factor, however on a sharp turn the rear will get a bit squiggly,errrr, you can feel something moving slightly...

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:52 pm 
Like BRed, my tires (on both my BR and motorcycle) usually wear a wee bit more on the right side first. I often get a flat spot that's maybe at a max angle of 5 degrees.

I've always thought that it's because of where I position myself on the road - I usually ride in the left hand "track" of a lane on back-roads or single lane roads .
Here in Quebecistan, you can clearly see the 2 ruts or grooves made by cars and trucks. I don't ride in the center of the road because of oil, debris, unflattened road kill, etc., and I find that riding right down in the left groove puts me too close to unpredictable oncoming cagers (plus my bike is pretty wide with the sidecases, which puts them on or over the center line) so on straight roads, I'm normally riding somewhere on that small angle between the left rut and the center of the lane.

It would be interesting to see what kind of wear other riders get and see where they usually position themselves on the road. Also, if you drive mostly highways/interstates, let us know since they are usually flatter, better maintained and have 2 or more lanes therefore different crowns for water drainage. Edit : please let us know if you drive on the left or right in your country. In my case : Country - right side drive; drive mostly in left track and single lane roads; tire has more wear on right side.

Let's hear it from y'all :popcorn:

“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.” — William Gibson

Last edited by kakeyed on Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ride Game Participant
Ride Game Participant

Location: the land of cotton... old times here are not forgotten
Living room mechanic
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:49 pm 
Keep in mind the street has a crown in center and since we drive on right side that means the left side of tire wears faster. Notice other bikes and should see same thing.

How to post pictures <- clicky

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:41 pm 
fasterthanme wrote:
Keep in mind the street has a crown in center and since we drive on right side that means the left side of tire wears faster. Notice other bikes and should see same thing.

Yup, but original poster, Bookwurm, has wear on the left side and BRed and I have wear on the right. I know what you mean about the crown for water drainage, but if anyone has experience with the ruts that I'm talking about, they really negate the crown. It's an interesting point, fasterthanme, since the whole planet doesn't drive on the right - I'll edit my post to reflect that.

“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.” — William Gibson

Iron Butt
Iron Butt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:01 pm 
I should have read the original post closer.....
yes all my other bikes do normally wear on the left side faster and I've always assumed that was due to the crown of the road falling off to the right, but the on the BR, all of my tires wear out on the right side sooner.

Again, my best guess is the monoshock, but that doesn't explain bookwurm's wear. :meh:

"You live and learn......at any rate, you live."
~Douglas Adams

CANADIUS MAXIMUS
CANADIUS MAXIMUS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:16 am 
Motor mount hanger....jeeesh !

:canuck:

2005 BIGUS Ruckus

viewtopic.php?f=95&t=41664

....ya....thats right...."PS-600".....bite me

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:56 am 
I'm getting the same wear pattern on my motorcycle too, so in my case it's not limited to the BR. :dubious: