Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Michelin Power Pure tires
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:25 am 
I just installed a set of these on my scoot today. Replaced a Michelin City grip on the front and a Michelin Pilot Sport SC on the rear. I only got right at 6K on the rear and 16K on the front. The only tire that has gotten worse on the rear was the Avon Stryker 63. I only got 4K with that one. The front tires usually last 16-18K so I hope to equal that with this set. The rear is usually good for aroung 12K. Haven't had a chance to really try these out yet, it's raining cats and dogs. But will report on them as I put the miles on them.

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: Michelin Power Pure tires
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:48 pm 
---i'm confused, palletman>>>>you said this last year??? :meh:

guote///Now have just shy of 8K miles. Still very much pleased with these tires. But have noticed a slight funny wear pattern on the back. Don't know if it because I did not balance them when installed, but it is still not too bad. Still have 5mm of tread on the front and 5mm of tread on the back. I expect another 5-6K miles of wear on the back, probably more for the front. I got 17.5K on my last front tire, a stock IRC. Also noticed I can't find the stock IRC any more. So I guess I will stick with the City Grip as my tire.///

---what changed??? did you put another set of tires on since feb 2012.... :wc_flag:

------AHhhh.....jimT :loopy

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:20 pm 
Yes, I had Michelin City Grip on then. I got right at 8K with the rear. I put a Michelin Pilot SC sport on after it. It lasted not quite 6K. I liked the tread pattern as it was a lot like the IRC stock tires. But it did not last like I wanted. I still had the City Grip on the front. I just replaced it after almost 16K. It still had a little tread left, (1.5mm). I went ahead and replaced both tires with the Power Pures. So I now have the Power Pure's. I do not really need high performance stickiness, but I do want long mileage.

It's hard to keep the details of each tire from getting mixed up. I guess I'm getting old and senile.

One of Us
One of Us

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:12 pm 
---good answer :banger: ,,, you're been a good source of info on different tires ,,, I read your inputs ,,, I thought something was amiss ...

-----------thx jimT :loopie

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:35 pm 
I've now put a few hundred miles on the new tires and thought I would post my impressions.

First they are the smoothest, roundest tires I have had on my scoot. I did not balance them when I put them on, but there is no bounce and they feel perfectly round when I ride. That is the only way I can describe them.

Second, they are very nimble feeling. Some of my tires felt kind of heavy in the front. These tires react instantly to my steering input. It took me a few miles to get used to them as it felt kind of squirrely at first.

Lastly, I have noticed they track imperfections in the road more than other tires. If there is a track or groove in the road running parallel with you, the tire wants to follow it. It is not a problem, but it is much more noticeable with these tires than with others.

In conclusion, I like the ride of these tires best of any tires I have had. I just hope they get at least decent mileage. I don't think you can go wrong with these. And they were not that expensive either. I got both from Motorcycle Superstore for $101 with free shipping. Not a bad deal.

Ride Game Participant
Ride Game Participant
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:22 pm 
after ~1k miles on the set of mine.

I will agree with you on every point and would add that they handle amazingly in the rain.

The stock rear tire on my BR had a pretty noticeable flat spot from the trip home and that was only ~1.3k miles The new ones have been amazing.

Iron Butt
Iron Butt
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:13 am 
The Power Pure on the rear of BioHazard now has about 4000 miles and it still looks excellent...
I expect at least 8000 miles from it, but then I'm hard on tires and wear most rears out by 5000 miles. :wasted:
By comparison, the Michelin City Grip rear tire had several bald spots at just over 3000 miles.....

Power Pure is THE tire you want on your Big Ruckus!

"You live and learn......at any rate, you live."
~Douglas Adams

CANADIUS MAXIMUS
CANADIUS MAXIMUS
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:27 am 
I installed a 150/70-13 Power Pure on the on the back of mine once i got back from CON

....i have about 900 miles on it now.....of coarse it still looks good,......as for "handling"......i haven't been in the rain with it yet,....it does run very smooth,......my complaint thus far is this... "it is squirrely in the corners, breaks loose way easier than the Bridgestone Hoop.

Michelin PP - $98
Hoop - $189

2005 BIGUS Ruckus

viewtopic.php?f=95&t=41664

....ya....thats right...."PS-600".....bite me

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:40 pm 
Hey Sawman, you're running these on the 600 BR? For stock we'd want to run 110/90-12 and 140/70-12, yar?

2006 Big Ruckus - "Blackbeard's Revenge"
2002 C3 - "The Dead Rabbit"

"If I don't kill a man every now and then, they forget who I am."

CANADIUS MAXIMUS
CANADIUS MAXIMUS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:00 am 
Ya.....the 150/70-13 is hooked to the 56hp of the 600... :canuck:

2005 BIGUS Ruckus

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:44 pm 
Got new tires this week. I picked up a piece of metal and had a blowout on the highway so it was pretty much mandatory. Happily I didn't drop her when it happened. =D

CANADIUS MAXIMUS
CANADIUS MAXIMUS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:55 am 
:highfive:

2005 BIGUS Ruckus

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:33 pm 
After putting a hundred miles on the new tire set, I'm impressed. They're grippy and stable. However: I feel like I'm bottoming out my suspension with the taller rear tire. So now I'm off to look for a new shock.

Iron Butt
Iron Butt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:37 am 
An update on the 140/70x12 PowerPure rear tire.......
at 6600 miles, the wear bars are clearly showing.

I'd guess maybe another 400 miles, maybe 1000 for someone who is easy on the throttle.
For me, thats outstanding mileage from a rear tire. It's made several longish highway runs, including the Outer Banks ride.
It is smooth and well balanced tire that will handle at 75mph with grace. It will corner like a cat.

It's downside....it's not the best rain tire I've ever used. It's not the worst either.
In a downpour you want to run it about 10-15mph slower than you would run if you were running a Heidenau, a Gold Standard or even a Shinko All Weather tire with lots of rain grooves. Also: Use caution when crossing painted surfaces that are wet.

The hard rubber center strip definitely extends the mileage, but it is less grippy fully upright on wet, slick surfaces...
(which is exactly what you would expect from a dual compound tire.....great tire mileage and excellent traction are on opposite ends of the same scale.)

Overall I like it .....much longer (nearly double) tire life than the City Grip and almost as smooth as a Gold Standard.
I ordered another one.

But.....if I knew in advance I was going to be riding a long distance in the rain, I'd probably take #2, since it currently has a nice wet weather setup.....
Gold Standard front and a Shinko All Weather rear.

I rode home on BioHazard @ 26 degrees the other night....
even with a snowmobile suit on over my riding gear, I was thankful for the leg sheilds!

One thing you probably notice if you're ever crazy enough to try it....
at sub-freezing temps, once they're warmed up, these engines seem to pull harder than when its warm outisde?!

There's something about the cold dense air that just seems to suit their tuning.

It's probably telling us something important about tuning, if we are listening...

"You live and learn......at any rate, you live."
~Douglas Adams

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:49 pm 
Here's my take on the Michelin PowerPure SC tires. I need to give you some background info first, since I got just a little over 7000 kms (around 4500 miles) out of the rear tire, albeit in a very punishing environment.

I installed these hoops specifically for a run down the Blue Ridge to the Dragon followed by jaunt across North Carolina to CON 2013 at Nags Head, and then a return along the East coast back to Montreal.
I also did a 3 day pre-CON test run with a few Cruiser types though New England to shake out any bugs.

After a weigh in of myself and luggage, the BR would be hauling 330lbs at speeds of 80 to 90 kph (50 – 55 mph) most days for a few weeks. I also expected to have to do short bursts to 70 mph when needed. Because of the weight & speed, I added one or 2 extra pounds of air to the front & 3 or 4 extra psi to the rear tire. That's as precise as I will get without the aid of a digital tire gauge.

Tire pressures were checked every morning, then every time I stopped for gas along the way, I'd give my tires a look-see and check the temperatures precisely with my hand. As expected, the front stayed warm but the rear tire got h-o-t. Hot enough that I could only keep the palm of my hand on the tire for 3 to 4 seconds. I scientifically concluded that if the touch test dropped to two seconds, I would add another couple of psi.

Before switching to the PowerPure, I was running the Michelin City Grip. I also switched BR's with TR member fixitpeter for a quick comparo ride. I think fixitpeter was running the City Grip on his BR at the time. We both had pretty much the same impression of the PowerPure.

Pavement – kind of good - Fixitpeter and I both found the tires too sporty for our taste and they gave a harsher ride over cracks & potholes. The front end can get a little twitchy riding over tar-snakes, painted surfaces or anything that's not clean, oil or dirt free pavement. The PowerPure will also follow cracks & ruts annoyingly. That being said, I unintentionally did touch down some hard parts when riding aggressively and never felt like I was running out of traction.

Unpaved – Meh - And thanks to my @#$% Garmin Zumo, I managed to try out a few dirt roads where I can tell you that the PowerPure is much more a road tire than an all-arounder.

Wet Stuff – bad - Wet pavement seems to amplify the twitchiness to the point where my arse took a bite out of my seat a few times as I thought the front was going to wash out at some of those painted pedestrian crossings. Wet tar-snakes have a way of keeping you focused.

Mileage – excellent - I'm happy as a clam with the kind of mileage I got out of them under the circumstances.

Personally, I prefer the more comfortable and relaxed feel of the City Grip for everyday use and I'm willing to sacrifice some mileage for that comfort.
On the other hand, I don't think any other tire would have lasted the trip and I will use the PowerPure again for any long trip in the future.

“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.” — William Gibson