Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

n00bie

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: battery charging
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:55 pm 
HI, can any one tell me how many rpm it the charging system starts working?

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Shop mechanic
2011 TR Donor
 Post subject: Re: battery charging
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:17 am 
This is BRed's post in another thread.
[The original batteries are still in both of my '05s, with over 60000 miles between the two.

I don't use a battery tender but I do put each one through a 3 hour deep cycle charge once each year, usually in spring.
Both have been completely drained on a few occasions, in the case of BioHazard, at least 10 times....seriously!
they always recovered with a good slow charge.

But a few BR power management tips that I've learned over the years that might help:

I know to not try and crank them when it's 20 degrees outside...any battery output is greatly reduced at low temps.
5 seconds & it's done!
I know not to crank it up and expect 10-15 minutes (or an hour?) at idle to recharge anything....it won't.
You will slowly lose charge doing this.
I know to switch to low beams and shut off all powered accessories for the last 5 minutes of any ride...
top that battery up!
I know to never use auxiliary lighting unless I'm running at highway speeds and producing a surplus of amps.....
with stock gearing, at 60+mph, you're finally producing close to the 400 watt capacity of the DCGenerator.

If you're running with Rucks for an extended time, consider switching to 15-17gram rollers just to keep your rpms high enough to charge at 40mph....at different rallies, several BR have had charging issues from running at very low rpms and slow speeds for long periods of time.

These are good batteries and last much longer than any I've ever used over the last 40 years.....
2-3 years are about the limit for small lead acid batteries, in my experience.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:12 am 
Some good info here sir, plus you're from my home town. My battery drained completely when I had my ruckus at idle for ten minutes. ( I was curing the paint on my exhaust) I bet that explains it then.

Iron Butt
Iron Butt
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:01 pm 
Some updated info on this.....
I finally replaced the battery on Biohazard.

This year on the ride to the OBX for CCoN, Dan, Vince, Chris and I spent the night in Rocky Mt and the following morning, my scoot wouldn't crank.
I put it on a small 2A trickle charger I usually carry on road trips and after a 10 minute boost, it fired up.

It may have been alright but since we were going to be riding the Outer Banks for 3-4 days, I decided not to take any chances.
The original battery was at least 8 years old (as a 2005 model, it may be 9 years old??) and as I've mentioned before,
it had been completely discharged at least 10 or 12 times. That's excellent service for any small motorcycle battery.
This time it discharged for no apparent reason (I didn't cause it this time!) and after a 90 mile high speed ride that should have topped it up...
it didn't make any sense, but it had not gotten it's annual 3 hour deep cycle charge on the smart charger this year.....that might have been a factor?

We borrowed an extension cord at the hotel and after a 10 minute charge it fired right up.....we rode to the local PowerSports dealership and bought a new battery.
It was ~$140 and I don't regret buying it but since returning home, I did put the old one through a smart charge cycle and so far it has held that charge.

But you should never under estimate the drain factor of those dual beam headlights at idle....
together, they're pulling about 9-10 amps and the fact that revving the engine at idle makes them much brighter clearly demonstrates
that they draw more amps than the alternator supplies while idling.

If you absolutely have to charge your battery from the alternator while idling, disconnect the headlights first.
It's easy to do, just pull the connector off the back of each light.

"You live and learn......at any rate, you live."
~Douglas Adams

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Shop mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:50 am 
Hey goldfinger978,
Seems like everyone leaves York and scatters to the wind. I was gone for many years, but always seemed to end up back here. I do love our miles of back roads in the hills, outside of the rat race in town.

BRed, thanks for the updated battery tips, I never would have thought to unplugged my headlights to help the recharge.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:05 pm 
I've had extremely good luck with all of my scoots (8 so far) YUASA gel batteries.
Never put any of them on a tender and some of them were 7 year old originals (I usually by old low mileage bikes)
My bikes get stored outside, under a cover and I've fired my Silverwings up mid-winter without a problem.