Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ   * Search 

n00bie

Years on TR

Post subject: SlipStreamer CF-40 windshield question
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:14 pm 
For those of you that have the SlipStreamer CF-40 windshield on your BR. Have you had any trouble with the windshield cracking or any other problems and how does it do at 55mph? I'm asking because I'm thinking of buying one and just wanted to get some input from someone that already has one.

Thanks

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: SlipStreamer CF-40 windshield question
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:06 pm 
I have the CF-40 and it does fine at highway speed. I've had mine pushing 80 (per the not correct BR speedometer). :banger:

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels
Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:16 am 
I buy one last month the SlipStreamer CF-40 ordered from USA because not sale in CANADA :canuck: . that thing run very good. But that depend where you install it, that have a big difference on the top end speed. First time i try on the handle bar in différent angle. My BR have lost too much top end speed 62 mph , i try many position on the handle bar but not better ! Last week iam dicide to move the SlipStreamer CF-40 on the buttom frame i put the bracket just under the flasher and i give a good angle on the windshield and i move the mirror position and is the best place i found, now i hit easily 78 mph on flat road and 85 mph on a downhill.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:45 am 
Nice looking Big Ruckus VieuLoup and thank you for the info.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:51 pm 
I have the CF-50 which is even bigger. I have had it for almost 5 years now. Not the first problem. I did have a mounting problem though. The stock hardware kept coming loose. I solved that by buying some stainless replacements and using threadlock and problem solved. I did mount mine to the handlebars at the same angle as the front forks.

Here is a front view. I haven't had any problem with winds. Some on here have complained that the screen acted like a sail, but I like mine. And even with the screen, I still average 72+ MPG.

I used to get almost 80 MPG, but have since dropped a little. I've had the screen almost from day one. But now with 45K miles, it has dropped a little so I replaced the MPG sticker with one that says 70 MPG.

Iron Butt
Iron Butt
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:47 am 
pallettman wrote:
I used to get almost 80 MPG, but have since dropped a little. I've had the screen almost from day one.
But now with 45K miles, it has dropped a little so I replaced the MPG sticker with one that says 70 MPG.

that's curious.....on both of my BRs, it seemed fuel mileage improved with more miles (at least so far!)
BioHazard gets about 70mpg if I'm running at least 126 grams of weight.
I think I will drop in some very light weights (15-16gram) for running the mountains around Asheville next month, though.

I'm trying to think of what might cause a drop in mileage on a stock engine....

A smaller circumference rear tire will do it....a lower final reduction ratio.
If your CVT is still stock, very worn rollers will do it.....higher rpms to reach the same speed.
Too high an idle setting will do it....more revs = more fuel.
Valve adjustment will do it....even a BR needs one occasionally. :)
An improperly adjusted pilot screw will do it....setting a Keihin's pilot screw with a Tach...is probably the most important adjustment you can do for your engine.

It could be rings, but not likely with your mileage and normal oil changes, since one TR rider here from SE Asia reported good mileage after 125,000kms on a commuter Big Ruckus.

or it could just be the fuel blends we're getting these days....130 "localized blends", with added seasonal variations, according to one source I read.

On a cross country ride, I've found some fuel blends that I would have to readjust the carb to make it run properly if I lived there and had to continue to use it.

"You live and learn......at any rate, you live."
~Douglas Adams

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:22 pm 
I don't think the shield caused the fuel mileage decrease. I keep up on valve adjustments and other maintenance. I lean more to the fuel we are getting. I seem to get better mileage during the summer. If you look at my fuelly page, you can see my mileage goes down in the winter and back up in the summer. And I have had a schedule change at work. Now on Thursdays, I get a chance to put in some miles. Most times 100-150 miles. I am going a little faster during this time so that might be it. Didn't want to hijack, but the main reason I posted was to mention I don't think my windshield caused a loss of mileage. And as far as being buffeted by the wind, my screen actually makes it smoother, especially at higher speeds.

Iron Butt
Iron Butt

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:39 am 
I think you're right.

As long as a windshield has some rake to it and isn't too much larger than the rider's profile when viewed from the front, it will usually improve mileage.
(not to mention comfort!)

That's always been one of Craig Vetter's streamlining design secrets.....
1) take a picture of the bike with rider seated, from the front.
2) design and mount a fairing that just covers his full outline.

From my testing, the leg guards create more drag than a windshield.....
they have -0- rake!

They are warmer in winter though!

~Douglas Adams

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:46 pm 
BRed wrote:
From my testing, the leg guards create more drag than a windshield.....
they have -0- rake!
They are warmer in winter though!

Crap, And here I was hoping they would help the aerodynamics of the bike.

Iron Butt
Iron Butt

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:24 am 
They help the aerodynamics of the rider, but they make the scoot twice as wide and they stick straight out to the sides....
you definitely know they're there in a headwind! :D

A creative soul could use them as a base or a template to make a very nice cafe racer style fairing.....
maybe heatgun it and reshape it or just glue some styrofoam on to what's there then contour it to shape.

Or take a set to China, find a plastics firm and tell them what you want....
they'd be stamping them out in a few days, as long as you ordered at least 1000.

~Douglas Adams

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:56 pm 
This is a CF-50. I agree that it improve aerodynamics and comfort. And might add few mpgs too.

Another perspective:

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:36 pm 

I bought the biggest one, but it was still not tall enough for me so I made some longer supports out of 3/8 stainless round rod to raise it up about 3 inches and formed a piece of 1/8 aluminum to plug the hole between my box and the wind screen. It works great!! The OEM screen was just too small for me. When I take it off this spring I will powder coat it black. Right now it is bead blasted and looks pretty good.

I listed my old OEM windscreen for sale on here someplace. If you are interested email me at jacksmetal@gmail.com.

:)>>

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:42 pm 
It's black now - looks better - sure works good - I can leave the visor up on my helmet and hardly feel any air movement. I am debating on whether or not to take it to the local Honda shop and see if they can unplug whatever is slowing this thing down. It has never had the power I think it should have and my mileage (50) reeks in comparison to what folks say they get on these boards. Maybe I will take it by and chat with them and get a feel for how tuned into the BR they are.

CANADIUS MAXIMUS
CANADIUS MAXIMUS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:25 pm 
ispud wrote:
... I am debating on whether or not to take it to the local Honda shop and see if they can unplug whatever is slowing this thing down. It has never had the power I think it should have and my mileage (50) reeks in comparison to what folks say they get on these boards. Maybe I will take it by and chat with them and get a feel for how tuned into the BR they are.

:lol: .....I'll gaurantee you're wasting your time taking to a dealer,...they will set it up to spec,.... :headbashing:

Ispud,.....how long have you been on TR ??.....I'm going to throw this out to you,...take this info WITH you to the dealer if you want to ,.....

1. Get lighter roller or slider weights 19, 20, or 21 gram (i prefered the 19g Dr. Pulley Sliders)

2. Re-jet the carb!....45 pilot , 102 main,........TRUST ME!

3. Make sure your air/fuel ratio is set correctly , BRed has a method posted

4. Make sure your valve clearance is set properly , again , BRed has a thread posted for that to

If you do ALL of these steps , you wont belive the difference in your BR....TRUST ME!

:canuck:

2005 BIGUS Ruckus

viewtopic.php?f=95&t=41664

....ya....thats right...."PS-600".....bite me

n00bie

Years on TR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:56 pm 
I have an 05 and a 06 with the CF-40's and have had no problems with cracking. Will give you advise to go to Home Depot and get allen head screws to replace the "t" handles (they break and vibrate loose) that hold the shield to the uprights.