Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Update on Michelin City Grip
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:55 pm 
I now have 4100 miles on the City Grip. Very pleased with the tire as a replacement for the IRC. Very stable and smooth with a good grip. Yesterday was the first time I have had a chance to check out it's wet performance. I was 50 miles from home when I got caught in a real frog strangler. And it rained like that for the whole 50 miles. Had absolutely no problems. On a variety of roads, no slip, no sliding, no traction problems at all. After tropical storm Lee, our beach roads were covered with pure, white sand. They bulldozed off the majority of it but there was still a slight powder. Add to this the rain, and it was sort of disconcerting to ride on. I had about 20 miles of this. But lost traction not one time. Highly recommend this tire.

I liked the IRC, but I wanted to find a good replacement as I don't think they will keep making a bike specific tire very much longer. Measured the tread depth and found 5-6mm on each. The stock tires gave me 17K on the front and 12.5K on the back. I'll see how these match up. But so far so good.

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

2011 TR Donor
 Post subject: Re: Update on Michelin City Grip
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:57 pm 
:highfive:

SHORT BUS CREW

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:26 pm 
Thanks for the Update! I'm planning to get a set next Summer! :wink:

SlimClone: Fuck off Ron

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:46 pm 
I put about 3k on my city grips this summer up in the Yellowstone National Park area. No
problems and can say they provide a smooth ride. Thanks for the update 8)

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:16 pm 
Now have just shy of 8K miles. Still very much pleased with these tires. But have noticed a slight funny wear pattern on the back. Don't know if it because I did not balance them when installed, but it is still not too bad. Still have 5mm of tread on the front and 5mm of tread on the back. I expect another 5-6K miles of wear on the back, probably more for the front. I got 17.5K on my last front tire, a stock IRC. Also noticed I can't find the stock IRC any more. So I guess I will stick with the City Grip as my tire.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:29 am 
Good to hear that the City Grips are liked esp after had a rear installed to match the front. I find it interesting that the grooves go towards the rear on the front and they go towards the front on the rear. I had to get the rear remounted. as they had it backwards according to the arrow. has anyone else noticed this? I'm sure ( or hope) there is a reason why. I replaced a flat contenital zippy that wore way to fast.
Thanks Dick

Iron Butt
Iron Butt
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:10 pm 
I just replaced the front City Grip on #2.
It had just under 9000 miles and it wore the tread bare (as in slick!) on one 8" spot while 2/3s of the tire still had good tread!
The tire handled great right up to the end when I noticed it slipping a bit in the rain and did a more thorough check and found the bald spot ( a good argument for a complete rotation of the tire during inspection, instead of a quick glance).

The City Grip rear was changed with about 5000 miles on the front and still looks serviceable with 4000 miles.
The front tire was the installed when the City Grip first came out (there wasn't a rear version for several months).
The tire had DynaBeads installed and probably would have shown some type of balance problems if it weren't for this.

I still think they're great tires and won't judge them too harshly on this, but 9000 miles is the shortest tire life of any Michelin FRONT tire I've run. I'll chalk it up to working out the production kinks on a new product.

I replaced it with a Gold Standard, since I still have a few of these on hand.

"You live and learn......at any rate, you live."
~Douglas Adams

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:23 pm 
Just ordered a set from DGY Motorsports! Front and Back for $145.00!

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:34 pm 
Just hit 10K on these tires. Time for a new rear tire. I had noticed a funny wear pattern at 8K but now it is very noticeable. The center has lots of tread, but the shoulders are worn down almost past the wear bars! I don't do much twisty stuff, just straight down the road stuff, so? Don't know if I will try these again. The front still has at least half tread, maybe more so it is fine. Am debating putting a Michelin SC sport, it has tread similar to the stock IRC. Wish they still made the IRC. I always got at least 12.5K on the rear with some still left. Anybody think I might have any problems mixing the tire patterns?

Iron Butt
Iron Butt
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:30 am 
you can usually mix tires styles (within reason?) if you follow one rule....
never run a slick sport style front tire with a coarse treaded dual sport type rear tire.

Anything else you can adapt to, but this always seems to be a killer combination on wet roads.

I have a set of the new Michelin Power Pure scooter tires just waiting for the right time.

These are high tech scooter tires!

Product Features
Center tread compound formulated for durability
Smooth area in the center of the contact patch resists wear
Shoulder tread compound formulated for adhesion in wet or dry conditions
Tread design inspired by racing rain tires
Optimized tread design helps maintain consistent profile over the life of the tire

As you can see, they use two different compounds: a hard durable rubber for the centerline and soft grippy rubber for the shoulders.
It just sounds too logical not to try, right? And the front tire uses softer compounds than the rear, as it should!

Just reading the description intrigued me, but seeing the graphic convinced me to order a set from American MotoTires. :D

~Douglas Adams

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:47 pm 
You know Ed, I looked at those. But with my tire wearing so weird on the shoulders, I don't think I need a tire with even softer rubber on the shoulder of the tire. I like the look of the Michelin SC sport tire. It is very much like the stock IRC. I had great luck with the stock tire. Wish they still made them.

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:32 am 
Rode just a few miles on the City Grips! Tires feel smooth! I'll update again when I get a few hundred miles on them! But so far so good! :banger:

One of Us
One of Us

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:44 am 
Just bought a pair of City Grip for mine.
This thread and others seem to verify that they are pretty decent.
Installing this weekend.

BRed: Have you tried those Power Pure yet?
I am intrigued. :popcorn:

Iron Butt
Iron Butt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:55 am 
I have not....I've been waiting for the right timing to install both Front and Rear PP tires at the same time.
That requires a little fineses since 1 front tire will generally outlast 2 rear tires.

I just replaced a Pirelli SL-26 110/100-12 with a Gold Standard (I bought 5 GS a few years ago and sealed them in garbage bags).

The Pirelli only has one redeeming grace....it's very tall and it corrects the speedometer to less than 1% error readout.
It was so close that a GPS reading of 104 miles showed 105 miles on the speedometer.
It had a smaller contact patch and you really had to run slower on wet roads.

On the City Grips, I like the way they ride but they are softer rubber and both front and rear wore out much faster than I expected.

~Douglas Adams

Rusty Trombonner
Rusty Trombonner
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:18 pm 
TIRE CTY GP 110/90-12 64P
TIRE CTY GP 120/70-12 51S

I can provide these for less than anywhere else.

email mopedmotion@gmail.com when you're ready to get them in route.

Turn-around time is generally 2-3 days.

Thanks!

P.S. Sorry for the shameless plug, but I don't get to see too many BR's come through our shop and we're always wanting to share the love :love: