Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Iron Butt
Iron Butt
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: YSS Replacement Shock for the Big Ruckus
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:32 pm 
OK, folks.... when it rains it pours?
after a 3 year drought with only one hopeful and expensive aftermarket shock for the BR, we now have several and counting.

I've been communicating with YSS on their Foresight shocks that were listed on an Italian website and just received pricing, ordering and shipping instructions.....
they make three versions from economy style to top of the line for the Foresight.
Tomorrow I will order 2 of these styles via Paypal.

Number one is a generic replacement for the Italian Foresight said to meet or exceed the Honda OEM specs.
This is a gas emulsion, step type preload shock similar to the factory Foresight shock.
It's cheaper than a Honda replacement shock for the BR!

The second one is an external reservoir, piggyback with threaded preload, dual tube hydraulic (with 2" travel length adjusters!!)
That's right...you can fine tune the ride height.

THIS appears to be the shock the Vespa dealer actually quoted me on in the other thread, the one that she thought was a Bitubo.....
it is about $60 cheaper than the Bitubo, at least at this point.

I really only wanted the second one for #2, but decided to stick my neck out and order the cheaper economy version as well, just to evaluate for TR's BRs. :banger:

I won't jinx it all by saying more right now, but I'll post pics and all the details on how and where to order one as soon as they arrive!

"You live and learn......at any rate, you live."
~Douglas Adams

Iron Butt
Iron Butt
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: YSS Replacement Shock for the Honda FES250 Foresight
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:16 am 
First pics! It arrived about an hour ago.

Klaus had suggested by email that it might be more economical to assemble a shock from components for the BR, based on the Foresight shock specs.

Here it is!!
This is what came in the box......it included a bottom clevis bolt graded 8.8 and two spanners, with an assortment of stickers and decals.

and a closeup!

I'll install the YSS shock this afternooon and begin testing it this weekend. If all checks out and the spring has the right rate, I will send Klaus a link to this message and hopefully he'll create an account and give us more details on what is available from YSS in the line of custom shocks.

This shock falls somewhere between the two Foresight shocks I mentioned above that were listed on the YSS International website.

No word yet on the generic YSS step adjustable replacement shock for the Foresight.
I was hoping it could turn out to be an entry level shock for BR riders looking to upgrade their OEM shock.

more to come..........

~Douglas Adams

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:49 pm 
Looks good BRed! The YSS has a lot more spring than the oem Honda. If you write to him, ask Klaus if he can get replacement rear shocks for a 1985 Honda CH250 Elite/Spacy. Thanks

Iron Butt
Iron Butt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:20 am 
some additional information from YSS.....
this is great information for any one setting up any shock.

Suspension Setup

Shock Absorber Setup

Mono Shocks

Replacement Springs for shocks and forks.

Option Feature Numbering Explained

After finding the 3 YSS shocks for the Foresight listed on an Italian website, I emailed YSSUSA with the stock numbers listed there.....

Dear YSSUSA:

please send pricing on the following 3 version of the 395mm YSS shocks:

OC302-395T-01EAL
OD220-395P-01
OE302-395T-01AL

Thanks!

ed

Thank you for your interest in our YSS shocks

The Mono shock prices for the Honda Foresight are as follows:

OC302-395T-01EAL = $ 245.00
OD220-395P-01 = $ 58.00
OE302-395T-01AL = $ 159.00

Regards

Klaus Huenecke

I immediately placed the order and mentioned it will be used on a Big Ruckus........

Thank you for the order.

I have supplied some shocks for the Ruckus before, but they had different length = 290 mm only.

The item you ordered has 395 mm = difference of over 4”. Is that correct?

What is the bushing size for the shocks that you have?

Top should be dia. 10 x 20 mm wide and bottom is a fork or clevis of 26 mm wide with dia. 10 holes.

The shocks I quoted you have to be ordered, they are not in stock.

For the OD 220 I have to place a min. order of 60 units and for the OE a minimum of 40 units.

This would be a major investment not knowing whether there are follow up orders by other Ruckus owners.

I am willing to do that, but we need to clarify the length and top and bottom mount issue first to make sure what we have is correct and they are all the same.

When I order the items, the lead time will be 5-6 weeks

Regards

Klaus Huenecke

I explain this is a BIG Ruckus, a 250cc and it uses the exact same shock as the Foresight quoted above. I tell him I don't know if we would ever have 40 BR riders wanting a new shock, but he will surely sell some at the above prices....but, maybe not enough to cover the minimum order.

Thank you for the details.

I can build you the OE model shock this week with motorcycle parts that I have here. It will be a model ME 302-395 T.

The shock will be with steel tube etc. The OE for the Honda Foresight will have an Aluminum body.

The ME can be serviced, the OE not.

The list price is a little more than the OE – for you it will be the same – but later on I have to charge more for it.

The OD model shock I have to get from the factory. I will be there next week, returning July 10. If I can bring one with me I will do that.

The advantage with the ME is that we can change spring rate here to suit riders weight, the OE comes with a certain spring rate.

The last question I have is: did I understand correctly – the shock has top and bottom eye mounts? The Foresight has a clevis at the bottom and not an eye mount?

Regards

Klaus Huenecke

I confirm the bottom clevis and told him to proceed......he built the shock I received.
I think, based on his email, that he will also be bringing back the OD (Foresight budget version listed at $56!) on July 10 and will ship it then.

The cost for the above pictured YSS ME 302 395 T was $219 + $16 S&H, but Klaus explained that future orders for this shock could be a bit more since he would be hand building them in the US instead of bulk ordering them 40 at a time from Australia or SE Asia.

That seemed reasonable to me.....the more you buy, the cheaper it gets, even for dealers.

From what I understood, like Ohlins, you can have almost any feature from the above YSS Options page...
from length adjustment to a hydraulic preloader can be incorporated into any custom shock they build......for a price.

I just wanted a good solid adjustable shock that could be rebuilt or resprung and the ME 302 version seemed to fit the bill. They can fine tune the spring to your custom specs based on solo, 2 Up, or luggage loaded touring. They can tailor the response of a shock for commuting or racing.

They also sell replacement springs for existing shocks! Since I have several OEMs laying around now, I intend to send Klaus one and let him fit it with a nice progessive spring. Replacement springs are about $100, for any load rating.

He said they could do the same thing for front fork springs!

I think YSS will turn out to be a good all around resource for TR riders, Ruck, BR and Other Scooters!

Klaus Huenecke

"Klaus Huenecke" <sales@yssusa.com>

732-786-9777

That's the YSS contact information, but you should wait until I've tested the shock for about a week or so to make sure the spring is in the right range, just as we did with the Ohlins shock. Even Klaus wanted some feedback before he sold more of them.
My understanding is he used the same spring specified for the Foresight.

And from what I saw on their website, he should be able to build a replacement shock for virtually ANY scooter or motorcycle once he knows the total loaded weight, the over all length of the shock, the travel (length of the exposed rod) and the size and style of the top and bottom mounts.

~Douglas Adams

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:10 am 
on the edge of my seat anxiously awaiting the results...

Iron Butt
Iron Butt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:37 am 
a comparison with one of the old shocks......
not only is the spring a bit longer, the wire is a bit heavier as well.

as the YSS numbering suggests, at 395mm it is exactly half the diameter of a 10mm bolt shorter than the 400mm OEM shock.

just installed it....the fit is perfect.
There was no need to move the Brake line mount as was required with the first Ohlins.....
the long tapered bottom mount cleared the brake line with room to spare.

As soon as I rolled it off the centerstand I felt the difference....maybe half as much sag when the rear wheel loaded up.

I bounced it several time with my full weight and then backed the preload adjuster off 2 threads.....
I think it would be about right for two up riding as shipped.

Now, off to ride!! :banger:

more later.........

~Douglas Adams

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:02 pm 
BRed wrote:
I bounced it several time with my full weight and then backed the preload adjuster off 2 threads.....
I think it would be about right for two up riding as shipped.

or...

Just about right for me :lol:

Iron Butt
Iron Butt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:36 pm 
Just about right, SAM!!

About 75 miles later.......
the YSS shock, as supplied, is going to be perfect for two up riding or solo riders over 250 lbs. This is what I would have expected with the Foresight spring setup. A single rider under 250 lbs. might want the next spring rating down. I still have some preload I can back off and I'll try that tomorrow.

The shock handled well and did not bottom out even going over speed bumps a little too fast. I picked the worse road I could find to put it through its paces...one in the process of being patched with sections of fresh patches, sections still being prepped for patching and sections with lots of potholes and broken pavement. Dampening was great with a single rebound and extension after hitting potholes.

It also passed my favorite shock test for backroads.......patched asphalt where the patches follow the car tire tracks and leave a strip of unpatched old pavement right down the center. Under these conditions, as you move laterally, from one side of the lane to the other, across the unpatched section, if the tire is worn or if the rear monoshock is sloppy or too loose, the rear end can twist quickly to one side as it comes off one patched surfaced then jump hard the opposite way as it climbs onto the parallel patch. The effect is odd, very twitchy (or squirrelly, as some would say) and it can feel like the rear tire is trying to pass the front tire....a distinct feeling of the bike trying to torque sideways. Get stuck in the rut between the two patched strips and attack the raised section at the wrong angle and you can get loose all over the road trying to come out of it with an undersprung shock.

The YSS passed this test with flying colors. I also briefly ran it through some twisties at moderate speeds and it stayed tight, but I didn't push it until I get use to the handling of the new shock. It is stiffer than the Ohlins, but the Ohlins was rated for a single rider and is very rough when used for 2 UP riding. Also the Ohlins has about 20,000 miles on it and is well broken in.

I haven't yet decided if the stiffeness is a pro or a con.....more riding will tell.

I briefly rode with a passenger on the rear for about two miles and with 380 pounds of rider and passenger it felt almost perfect. Again a lightweight solo rider will probably want a slightly lighter spring.....maybe 75-100 pounds less rating, but for 2 up riding or total cargo weight of over 350 pounds the spring supplied felt exactly right. I may keep it that way to have a BR capable of stable 2 up riding!

so far, I like it lot!! :banger:

*edit* - since the YSS shock turned out to be a custom built Big Ruckus shock instead of a YSS catalog item for the Foresight, as I first thought, I've changed the title of this thread.

~Douglas Adams

Iron Butt
Iron Butt

Post subject: Re: YSS Replacement Shock for the Big Ruckus
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:09 pm 
After putting another 300+ miles on this shock this past weekend, I will give it a very good rating.....
after about 150 miles or so, I noticed it was starting to feel a bit softer as the internal parts wore in.

I've backed the preload off to the point that I can just barely turn the spring by hand with some drag when the scoot is on the centerstand.
This is working out great for solo riding.....still a little stiffer than the Ohlins, but a world of difference over the OEM shock.

The YSS custom shock for the BR will be great upgrade for those looking for an economical aftermarket shock.

~Douglas Adams

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:26 pm 
You may want to try measuring the sag. I found mine at a happy 7mm.
Spud

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:17 pm 
Could I please get a confirmation on which model I need to order so it is exactly as above?

I am a 250# plus rider and I NEED the heavier spring set up.

Figure that this looks like what I need and is less than the 290 asking price for the bitubo.

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:28 pm 
I would love to hear from some one who has ridden all three , the Ohlins , the Bitubo and this one .

All that said , I love the Bitubo but all I can compare it to is the stock shock .

TheReaper!

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:47 pm 
Also would like to know more about any potential difference between the custom YSS and stock Bitubo.

I do mostly one up riding and am 180, occassionally take passengers and total weight reaches 330. What would be a good recommendation? Aren't or shouldn't these shocks be adjustable to accommodate these situations?

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Shop mechanic
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:19 pm 
the Bitubo is adjustable, it also has adjustable rebound, not sure about the YSS. I have the bitubo and also am around 180, again 2 up coming in around 330, I have been completely satisfied with the bitubo, wishing I had done it sooner. however, if a cheaper alternative presents the same or similar results go with that one.

CANADIUS MAXIMUS
CANADIUS MAXIMUS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:42 pm 
:( ....seems like everybody is dumping the Ohlins.... :(

I wanna re-iterate the fact that I absolutely loved my Ohlins,...it was THE BEST money I spent on the BR,..Lisa & I (combined weight 360-380, plus gear), put 1000's and 1000's of comfy miles on that shock,...and not a single issue,.....it now resides on the back of Pedi-oto's BR!...... :banger:

2005 BIGUS Ruckus

viewtopic.php?f=95&t=41664

....ya....thats right...."PS-600".....bite me