Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: Ohlins HO839
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:45 pm 
i-man wrote:
Hal, did you get your bolt issue resolved? If so, do you have a recommendation for a replacement bolt?

Yes. I stopped by my local True Value Hardware. The bolt I purchased was a class 10.9 M10-1.25x50mm. A 45mm may have also worked. The salesperson told me the metric class 10.9 would be equivalent to a US grade 8 bolt. Cost $2.25...if you have trouble locating one shoot me a PM. If they have any left I'll send you one in the mail.

Warney..thanks for clearing that up...for some reason I thought the custom Ohlins had the D type body...re-reading the thread I see BRed mentions the custom has the 36E body...

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:47 am 
BRed wrote:
OK, ok.........

$226.00 + shipping...........

BUT (and this is a really big but!)

we don't yet know if it is the fully adjustable racing shock pictured above or the preload adjustable economy shock pictured on SIP's page......

here's what I mean......everyone of these show the exact SAME part number, but the picture is very different....

http://www.sip-scootershop.com/EN/Products/H0087WZE02/Shock+absorber+rear+BITUBO.aspx

http://www.wirth-federn.de/products/en/Shock-Absorbers/Bitubo/Mono-Absorber/Mono-Absorber-Rear/BI-H0087-WZE02.html

http://www.tecnoparts.de/products/en/Shock-Absorbers/Bitubo/Mono-Absorber/Mono-Absorber-Rear/BI-H0087-WZE02.html

so the first buyers are sticking their necks out and buying "a pig in a poke"?

If you think about it, though, either one of those shocks will be an improvement for that amount of money.

the Bitubo numbering system is confusing and even pictures on their home website don't match the numbers to the pictures correctly.

Remember, these are Italian shocks and a lot can be lost in the translation.

I don't reccomend anyone else orders one until one of us who have already ordered one, receives it and can can tell you more about it.

Patience, Grasshoppers! :lol:

If you've waited 4 or 5 years before buying a rear shock, what will another week or so cost???

Am I reading this correctly? $226 :shock: plus shipping? Is that the price from sip?
Is the difference between the two shocks sorted out yet?
I know at least a couple of people have gotten their shock from sip by now, just wondering if they are the racing awesome or just better than stock awesome :wink:

Iron Butt
Iron Butt
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:10 am 
yeah, well I'm still waiting to see if they come through on this and which Bitubo shock it is.........
this is not coming from SIP, but from an American Vespa dealership.

if it comes?

so not such a great deal just yet?

"You live and learn......at any rate, you live."
~Douglas Adams

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:29 am 
flyingfishkus wrote:
BRed wrote:
OK, ok.........

$226.00 + shipping...........

BUT (and this is a really big but!)

we don't yet know if it is the fully adjustable racing shock pictured above or the preload adjustable economy shock pictured on SIP's page......

here's what I mean......everyone of these show the exact SAME part number, but the picture is very different....

http://www.sip-scootershop.com/EN/Products/H0087WZE02/Shock+absorber+rear+BITUBO.aspx

http://www.wirth-federn.de/products/en/Shock-Absorbers/Bitubo/Mono-Absorber/Mono-Absorber-Rear/BI-H0087-WZE02.html

http://www.tecnoparts.de/products/en/Shock-Absorbers/Bitubo/Mono-Absorber/Mono-Absorber-Rear/BI-H0087-WZE02.html

so the first buyers are sticking their necks out and buying "a pig in a poke"?

If you think about it, though, either one of those shocks will be an improvement for that amount of money.

the Bitubo numbering system is confusing and even pictures on their home website don't match the numbers to the pictures correctly.

Remember, these are Italian shocks and a lot can be lost in the translation.

I don't reccomend anyone else orders one until one of us who have already ordered one, receives it and can can tell you more about it.

Patience, Grasshoppers! :lol:

If you've waited 4 or 5 years before buying a rear shock, what will another week or so cost???

Am I reading this correctly? $226 :shock: plus shipping? Is that the price from sip?
Is the difference between the two shocks sorted out yet?
I know at least a couple of people have gotten their shock from sip by now, just wondering if they are the racing awesome or just better than stock awesome :wink:

The price of 226.00 is in EUROS! it equals 300.04 in US Dollars.

Ben

:wanker:

Iron Butt
Iron Butt
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:40 pm 
it sounds like you know more about this than me right now, Ben......
I still don't know much!

but this email from an American Vespa dealership was what convinced me to try this shock sight unseen.....

"Ed
I checked with my purchaser and we can get the shock to you in about 4 weeks for a cost of $221.31.
Let me know if you would like to order it!"
Thanks!

Subject: FW: Bitubo H0087WZE02 for Honda FES250
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 09:53:52 -0600

The idea was, if it came in on a regular scheduled shipment from Bitubo, the shipping cost would be almost nothing.
so I'm still waiting but the 4 weeks is almost up! :|

hopefully some news soon.

As soon as I know something, anything, I'll post it here.

When (and if?) it comes in, :dubious: ..... if it works out and really is what we think it is, it might be best to coordinate orders to arrive the same day, since most of these dealers scale unit pricing with demand.....
if it IS as good a bargain as it seems, it might go away........ fast!

If it's first come, first served best deal, then everybody who wants one needs to be first?
You can count on one thing......the price WILL go up with more orders.

of course, it could go up before I get the one I ordered? :lol:
They wouldn't let me pay in advance.

~Douglas Adams

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:15 pm 
BRed wrote:
it sounds like you know more about this than me right now, Ben......
I still don't know much!

but this email from an American Vespa dealership was what convinced me to try this shock sight unseen.....

"Ed
I checked with my purchaser and we can get the shock to you in about 4 weeks for a cost of $221.31.
Let me know if you would like to order it!"
Thanks!

Subject: FW: Bitubo H0087WZE02 for Honda FES250
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 09:53:52 -0600

The idea was, if it came in on a regular scheduled shipment from Bitubo, the shipping cost would be almost nothing.
so I'm still waiting but the 4 weeks is almost up! :|

hopefully some news soon.

As soon as I know something, anything, I'll post it here.

When (and if?) it comes in, :dubious: ..... if it works out and really is what we think it is, it might be best to coordinate orders to arrive the same day, since most of these dealers scale unit pricing with demand.....
if it IS as good a bargain as it seems, it might go away........ fast!

If it's first come, first served best deal, then everybody who wants one needs to be first?
You can count on one thing......the price WILL go up with more orders.

of course, it could go up before I get the one I ordered? :lol:
They wouldn't let me pay in advance.

Hey Ed,
It seems "Almost" too good to be true. I have seen the shock on the other sites mentioned above for $345.00 Euros which equals $466.00 US. The Vespa dealer is probably looking at the Euro Cost. Won't he be suprised if you buy one and he looses his shirt. Go for it!Order 4 for that matter, I'm sure you wont get stuck with them!

Ben

Iron Butt
Iron Butt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:20 pm 
That thought had crossed my mind! :wasted:

the way things are going, everything may be priced in Euros soon?

~Douglas Adams

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:35 pm 
Here is a brief ride report on my recently installed Ohlins HO839. First of all, the weather has really sucked and today was the first time I had a chance to go on an extended ride. The roads are full of gravel and sand and extra care is needed when cornering or stopping so no opinion on cornering improvement...other than it feels nicely controlled. No bottoming out, no oscillating/bouncing over evenly spaced expansion joints, and no being wedged off the seatback when hitting a bump at speed. That troubling wedging action was encountered several times last Fall, it literally would pitch me forward on the seat a couple of inches under the right circumstances. That issue is gone. You would not know it was the same machine, the Ohlins made a huge difference over the stock OEM shock.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:25 am 
BRed wrote:
That thought had crossed my mind! :wasted:

the way things are going, everything may be priced in Euros soon?

Hey Ed,
The invoice that came with my shock said 221.00 in Euros but they charged my Credit Card in US Dollars 300.97. By the way, I was riding all weekend 2 up and it works great. I adjusted the Preload about 3 turns and stiffen'd up the damper. Rides Real nice.

Ben :banger:

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:02 pm 
Arakiss - where's your shield? I thought you had an OEM one on. Also, what kind of grips are those? I'm looking for a larger diameter pair and found a Vespa LX-V with some really nice ones. They look like what you've got, hence my question.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:51 pm 
scooterman wrote:
Arakiss - where's your shield? I thought you had an OEM one on. Also, what kind of grips are those? I'm looking for a larger diameter pair and found a Vespa LX-V with some really nice ones. They look like what you've got, hence my question.

Yes I still have the OEM Windshield. I took it off for a good cleaning but have not had a chance to put it on yet. I got hit with plenty of bugs tonight so it wil be on soon!

The grips are called Grab On Grip Covers, just Slide them on your Honda grips. Gives you a Nice 1/4" of foam to hang on to. The Bar End Weights are the Honda OEM Chrome Plated ones from Japan.

Got them from Matt @ Scootertrap.

I forgot which ones I got! I think they are the 1.25 - 1.45, 5" Long. You will need to trim them a bit
Go to http://www.scootertrap.com and click on "Universal Shopping" It's down near the bottom of the page under "Grips & Related Items"

Enjoy,
Ben :banger:

(From Scootertrap.com)

Grab On grip covers fit over existing rubber grips for a better feel. Extra durable foam resists gas, oil and UV rays. Available in 2 sizes!

$17.00 each set
4.25" long and fits 1.45"-1.65" outer diameter grips
Price Includes Shipping

$17.00 each set
5" long and fits 1.25"-1.45" outer diameter grips
Price Includes Shipping

Last edited by Arakisss on Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:25 am 
I put on a set of Grip Puppies this spring, have a few hundred miles on them & they feel good. No problems so far. You trim them to length before install. 5 minute install.

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CST&Product_Code=GPSMALL&Category_Code=

GRIP PUPPIES ™ Small. (1 Pair) Pick First Class Mail for Free Shipping.

Code: GPSMALL
Price: $9.80
Shipping Weight: 0.09 pounds

SMALL Grip Puppies (1 Pair) - For bikes with 7/8" bars, which typically includes most sport, sport touring, and dual purpose motorcycles.
These are covers that slip over your existing grips.
•THEY COME IN PAIRS!

Great for adding a little thickness and cushioning to existing grips.
Made of CE (CPE/EPDM) Foam which is U.V., ozone and oxidation resistant.
CE Foam will not weaken or crack as a result of years of outdoor exposure.
Wall thickness is approximately .15 inches,
"A" dimension in picture is 5 inches.
Fit over grips that are 1.25 to 1.45 inches in diameter.
They work over grips with Symtec heaters.
FREE SHIPPING (applies ONLY to Grip Puppies, not to other items included in an order) within the US via USPS First Class Mail.
FREE SHIPPING via USPS First Class Mail for web orders only, phone orders will be charged for shipping.

•INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS: You do not need an air compressor. Just apply soapy water
to the inside of the Grip Puppies™ and slide them over your existing grips. Then enjoy the ride!
Made in the U.S.A.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:30 am 
Runaway Brain wrote:
I put on a set of Grip Puppies this spring, have a few hundred miles on them & they feel good. No problems so far. You trim them to length before install. 5 minute install.

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CST&Product_Code=GPSMALL&Category_Code=

GRIP PUPPIES ™ Small. (1 Pair) Pick First Class Mail for Free Shipping.

Code: GPSMALL
Price: $9.80
Shipping Weight: 0.09 pounds

SMALL Grip Puppies (1 Pair) - For bikes with 7/8" bars, which typically includes most sport, sport touring, and dual purpose motorcycles.
These are covers that slip over your existing grips.
•THEY COME IN PAIRS!

Great for adding a little thickness and cushioning to existing grips.
Made of CE (CPE/EPDM) Foam which is U.V., ozone and oxidation resistant.
CE Foam will not weaken or crack as a result of years of outdoor exposure.
Wall thickness is approximately .15 inches,
"A" dimension in picture is 5 inches.
Fit over grips that are 1.25 to 1.45 inches in diameter.
They work over grips with Symtec heaters.
FREE SHIPPING (applies ONLY to Grip Puppies, not to other items included in an order) within the US via USPS First Class Mail.
FREE SHIPPING via USPS First Class Mail for web orders only, phone orders will be charged for shipping.

•INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS: You do not need an air compressor. Just apply soapy water
to the inside of the Grip Puppies™ and slide them over your existing grips. Then enjoy the ride!
Made in the U.S.A.

Hey Brain,
Those are the same ones I have under a different name.
I would still order them from Matt because of all the help he has given us.
Ben

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:31 am 
BRed, any update on your order for the Bitubo?

(crossing fingers and toes it costs $221 and not EUR221!)

Iron Butt
Iron Butt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:06 pm 
I'm to call back Tuesday, since the clerk I originally spoke with is on vacation!
I'm not hopeful at this point.... it's been over a month.

I suspect they may have confused $s with Euros, given the above information.

~Douglas Adams

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next