Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: Ohlins HO839
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:54 pm 
Hal9000:
That Bitubo looks like a nice shock, is it adjustable for compression and rebound? You are more than welcome to post up on this thread or make a new one. At some later point maybe they can be combined/renamed and put in as a sticky for future reference.
For clarification and reference, is it the Bitubo H0087 WZE02?
Warren

Last edited by Warney on Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iron Butt
Iron Butt
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:56 pm 
That's a great deal on an Ohlins, Warney and even the list price is a lot cheaper than what most of us have paid, not to mention not having to deal with the hassle of buying a pair. :banger:

Too bad the Foresight never sold in America.....it would have made this process a lot easier from the start.

I would love to see a full size closeup of each of these shocks and don't spare the megapixels, guys.

Again, KUDOs to both of you for your point man work on this!!!!!
All Big Ruckus riders are in your debt.

Thanks.

"You live and learn......at any rate, you live."
~Douglas Adams

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:43 pm 
Warney wrote:
Hal9000:
That Bitubo looks like a nice shock, is it adjustable for compression and rebound? You are more than welcome to post up on this thread or make a new one. At some later point maybe they can be combined/renamed and put in as a sticky for future reference.
For clarification and reference, is it the Bitubo H0087 WZE02?
Warren

Thanks Warney..it is adjustable for Preload and Rebound and that model number is correct. I should have the Bitubo thread up a little later with more information. I'm hoping our threads will be combined as well.

BRed..thanks to you as well for starting all of this with all the work you put into the original Ohlins! I have a feeling part of the price difference between your Ohlins and the HO839 is the fact that the HO839 is an emulsion shock. The emulsion type seems to be the "base model" for Ohlins. The internal and piggyback reservoirs seem to be mid level/top of line and thus more expensive.

As for the Foresight I've spent wayyyyyy too much time cross referencing parts that will swap to the BR. I even called two Honda service departments in the UK! All this cross referencing was worth it as we are now finding ways to improve two of the areas some of us find lacking on the BR..the suspension and brakes. I won't go into too much detail since this is a suspension thread but as far as the brakes....
The early(98-99)Foresight had a thin swingarm.
BUT the late(2000<)Foresight had the same swingarm as the BR(albeit unpainted) I've always wondered what those two "extra" holes in the BR swingarm were for.
In 2000 the Foresight became available with a rear disc! So they're for this!!!!
Add a Reflex rear wheel and disc
And we now have an OEM rear disc conversion!
After much searching AND patience I managed to gather all the parts(including a brand new wheel!) online for less than $300...I'll be posting another thread about all this later :wink:
Pause the video at 17 seconds and you'll see how it bolts up on a Foresight. Warning it is a Foresight with no exhaust so it's LOUD.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:27 pm 
Hal9000, that Rear Disc brake is awesome... all of the rear brake hydraulics just bolt right up? Wonder what jetting the Foresight uses LOL! The Japanese noobowsystems webpage referenced on page 1 was what put me on to the Ohlins HO839 and the Bitubo replacement shock.
I agree the Honda Foresight needs further study to explore other possibilities.

CANADIUS MAXIMUS
CANADIUS MAXIMUS
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:27 pm 
Thats DAMN-COOL about therear disc!!!....thats gonna be a must-do for a few of you!.... 8)

2005 BIGUS Ruckus

viewtopic.php?f=95&t=41664

....ya....thats right...."PS-600".....bite me

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:09 pm 
It's not quite all "plug-n-play" but it is close. Hole size in swingarm and some adjusting of the brake line need to be done..nothing major. You can opt to keep the drum set up in there and have it operate via your parking brake only. The Foresight is factory jetted 40 slow and 105 main....imagine that :hum

Iron Butt
Iron Butt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:21 pm 
Great information, Hal9000!

This could be just what was needed to breathe new life into the old BR.

Imagine what you could do with the left lever's proportioning valve dual outlets if one powered the drum and the line that is now connected the front disc, instead connected to the rear disc?? 8)

"You live and learn......at any rate, you live."
~Douglas Adams

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:11 am 
hal9000 wrote:
Warney wrote:
Hal9000:

As for the Foresight I've spent wayyyyyy too much time cross referencing parts that will swap to the BR. I even called two Honda service departments in the UK! All this cross referencing was worth it as we are now finding ways to improve two of the areas some of us find lacking on the BR..the suspension and brakes. I won't go into too much detail since this is a suspension thread but as far as the brakes....
The early(98-99)Foresight had a thin swingarm.
BUT the late(2000<)Foresight had the same swingarm as the BR(albeit unpainted) I've always wondered what those two "extra" holes in the BR swingarm were for.
In 2000 the Foresight became available with a rear disc! So they're for this!!!!
Add a Reflex rear wheel and disc
And we now have an OEM rear disc conversion!
After much searching AND patience I managed to gather all the parts(including a brand new wheel!) online for less than $300...I'll be posting another thread about all this later :wink:
Pause the video at 17 seconds and you'll see how it bolts up on a Foresight. Warning it is a Foresight with no exhaust so it's LOUD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_tunFwUmeU

Great Work Hal
Do you have a list of the Part Numbers?

Thanks

Ben

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:34 pm 
The Ohlins HO839 is installed, it took a couple of hours to complete. As soon as I figure out how, photos will be posted.
Two very minor issues (that have been mentioned in the past) were encountered with hardware and slight interference with a grommet that protects the rear brake line. The first minor issue was that Ohlins ships the shock with a single fat washer, you'll need to procure two thinner washers that evenly space the shoulders of the upper eye of the shock in the frame mount. The lower clevis fits perfectly. The second minor issue was the bottom of the lowest rung of the spring touched the shoulder of the rubber grommet that is clamped over the rear brake line with a P shaped clamp. It is a matter of perhaps 2MM, after close examination the actual brake line does not touch but the protective grommet has a shoulder on each end, the lower shoulder of the grommet touches the lowest part of the spring. It was easy to remove the P shaped clamp, put it in a vise, and bend slightly to clear the Ohlins.
Weather isn't very good here, I'll go for a ride Sunday and report how the shock feels. Just taking it off the center stand, there is no longer a springy bounce when it touches ground with the rear wheel, it just drops down and sits. Also does not have as much sag when I sit on the Scooter, the Ohlins shock is considerably stiffer than the OEM Honda.
Simple installation with very minor issues, hope it works as well as others have reported.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:05 am 
Sounds good Warney. Can't wait to see the pics! I've only seen pics of the HO839 on two BR's..the one you mentioned and another from a different Japanese site. Both had a yellow spring so I'm wondering if the black spring will be an option. Did you notice any change in ride height while sitting on it? I'm hoping to get out for a ride tomorrow as well...

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:51 am 
Arakisss wrote:
Great Work Hal
Do you have a list of the Part Numbers?

Thanks

Ben

I'm going to post a thread within the next few weeks regarding the rear conversion. What I'm researching right now is an easier source for the caliper mounting bracket. I had to wait 6 months for one to pop up on Ebay Italy.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:30 pm 
Solid rain and or snow last 4 days, temps around 32-44, crummy conditions for a test ride. If it clears Friday I may go to the gas station and around the 'hood a little. When BRed gets the Bitubo on BR2 he will be able to give a comparison between the Ohlins and Bitubo.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:56 pm 
Sorry about the weather...I'd like to see BRed compare his custom Ohlins with the HO839. I'm wondering what the performance difference is between the emulsion(HO839) and the gas/oil being separated(BRed's and others)

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:47 pm 
Hal, did you get your bolt issue resolved? If so, do you have a recommendation for a replacement bolt?

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:17 pm 
hal9000 wrote:
Sorry about the weather...I'd like to see BRed compare his custom Ohlins with the HO839. I'm wondering what the performance difference is between the emulsion(HO839) and the gas/oil being separated(BRed's and others)

All of the S36E Ohlins shocks are emulsion type (Ohlins uses the prefix "S" for single tube, 36mm diameter piston, and suffix "E" for emulsion); as far as I know there is no functional difference between the HO839 (internal reservoir) and the Ohlins custom version (external reservoir) other than the external reservoir model holds more hydraulic fluid and high pressure gas for severe duty. After looking at the catalog and not knowing what model the custom one is, if it's an S36P I am wrong. There is an Ohlins model explanation on this link http://www.ohlinsusa.com/us/catalog/Rec ... 6-10_1.pdf Both models are adjustable for compression but the HO839 not rebound, unsure about the custom version.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next