Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: Ohlins HO839
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:05 am 
Ohlins one month ride report: The Ohlins shock absorber has eliminated the bounciness and frequent bottoming of the rear suspension; you would not know it is the same Scooter. Firmed up the ride but not to the point of harshness and now zero oscillation over expansion joints, frost heaves, potholes, or other road imperfections. Dangerous seat backrest wedging over sharp bumps is gone. Riding 2-up no longer an issue. BRed's comparison between the Ohlins and Bitubo should be interesting.

Iron Butt
Iron Butt
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:35 pm 
Well, I officially got the word from the midwest Vespa dealership that they can no longer get the Bitubo shock for the Foresight, using either of the listed part numbers.....they referred me to an Italian website with yet another Foresight aftermarket shock for ~350-450Eu.

http://www.yss.co.th/result_sc.php?Page=8&brand_id2=&keyword2=

YSS makes all 3 versions for the Foresight......emulsion, internal and external reservoir.

So that makes at least 6 aftermarket shocks for the BR!

but....... no $200 Bitubo for me and it only took a month longer than they said it would to find out. :(

Meanwhile, I've been looking at ways to improve the OEM shock.
I have a spring press to disassemble shocks for rebuilding......Ural shocks were designed to have the fluid changed on a regular basis.
On the Ural, going to a heavier oil dramatically improved the damping rate.

I'm thinking maybe a heavier aftermarket progressive rate spring the right length, with maybe some preload shims or washers, and using a heavier weight damping oil (more viscous..... maybe even synthetic motor oil?). All that might make it work a little better.

Maybe I'll start up an OEM shock upgrade service when I retire? :wink:

"You live and learn......at any rate, you live."
~Douglas Adams

Grammar Ninja
Grammar Ninja
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:32 pm 
That's exactly what I've been wondering about with the Reflex shock I bought last year. Unfortunately, I haven't taken the time to find a local hydraulic shop that might tackle the job.

#5 v1.0

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:54 am 
Last wekend, rode 100 miles 2-up with the Ohlins, smooth ride and no bottoming out. Ride was about 50/50 highway and in-town. Like night and day compared to the bouncy OEM.

CANADIUS MAXIMUS
CANADIUS MAXIMUS
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:04 am 
BRed wrote:

Meanwhile, I've been looking at ways to improve the OEM shock. ....

I'm thinking maybe a heavier aftermarket progressive rate spring the right length, with maybe some preload shims or washers, and using a heavier weight damping oil (more viscous..... maybe even synthetic motor oil?). All that might make it work a little better.

HiTechRedneck wrote:
That's exactly what I've been wondering about with the Reflex shock I bought last year. Unfortunately, I haven't taken the time to find a local hydraulic shop that might tackle the job.

:dubious: ....ok.....maybe I'm having a brain-fart here,....but this is what I'm thinking,...

....the Reflex shock is the same length as the BR shock,....it already has a 5 position (i think) preload collar on it,....why not get the yellow spring from Ohlins, slip it on, and see how it performs?

2005 BIGUS Ruckus

viewtopic.php?f=95&t=41664

....ya....thats right...."PS-600".....bite me

Iron Butt
Iron Butt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:36 am 
the main concern I would have with using any dual shock design is the piston rod diameter.......

YSS's website shows that all of their monoshocks' rods are about 25-30% thicker than those on any of their dual shocks.
I suspect this is true for all shock makers?

I think this is the limiting factor of what shock body can be adapted to work.

Overloading this critical part could result in a catastrophic failure.....a shock in two separate pieces.
I don't think it's worth the risk.

"You live and learn......at any rate, you live."
~Douglas Adams

CANADIUS MAXIMUS
CANADIUS MAXIMUS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:04 pm 
:| .....i would have to agree.

2005 BIGUS Ruckus

viewtopic.php?f=95&t=41664

....ya....thats right...."PS-600".....bite me

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:35 pm 
I hate to be bumping such an old thread but does anyone have a source for ordering one of these shocks for the Big Ruck? I've read a bunch about the shock but haven't actually found where to order it from.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:51 pm 
Bitubo is a great shock that won't bust the wallet. viewtopic.php?f=135&t=44134

:banger: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=51928&p=858657&hilit=bitubo+sip#p858657

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:55 pm 
leeinmemphis wrote:
I hate to be bumping such an old thread but does anyone have a source for ordering one of these shocks for the Big Ruck? I've read a bunch about the shock but haven't actually found where to order it from.

I bought my Ohlins HO839 from Hardracing.com, $499-20% discount = $398 + $13 shipping = $411 to my door. No VAT or other EU bullcrap taxes/charges added to the bill post purchase. Ordered mine with the 480-15 spring and it works great for 2-up, I weigh 215#. Never bottoms or wallows, superb ride on the highway. You can have an optional external reservoir added for additional $$$. Last time I checked the Ohlins was $58 more than the Bitubo. I have Bitubos on my Stella and they are nice shocks, the YSS are said to be good as well. But that Ohlins...

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:01 pm 
leeinmemphis wrote:

Here http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/main/ ... H0087WZE02

TheReaper!

n00bie

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:21 pm 
nice

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7