Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Ohlins HO839
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:05 am 
Whilst browsing a Japanese Honda PS250 website (and continually asking the google translator to decode), noticed the fellow had upgraded to the Ohlins HO839. Very interesting, might be a lower cost option?
Here is the link, expert opinions please.
http://www.oncycles.com/catalog.asp?dep ... duct=26144

Iron Butt
Iron Butt
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: Ohlins HO839
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:31 am 
cut from that page......

HO839 OHLINS HONDA FEZ250 (FORESIGHT) 98-00 36E REAR SHOCK ABSORBER

Please note that 36E is the type, not the part number.

Image is for illustration purposes only and may not be an exact representation of the shock you receive

POA, please call our sales line on 01992 532501 to discuss your requirements

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

the 400mm 36E is the same shock body used for the BR custom shock......
the price difference is the bottom clevis that Ohlins makes up for the BR and the different spring they install for use as a monoshock

now, I'm not saying that it won't work, but someone might have to order one of the Foresight (euro scoot) shocks and see if they can find a bottom clevis or one that can be remachined to fit the BR.

It might very well work, but said someone would have to be point man (the guy who takes one for the team?) :lol:
and take the risk of ordering one and doing the R&D to see if it will work or how much modding or fabrication would be required to make it work.

Since it's based on the 36E body, it is definitely the right length!

"You live and learn......at any rate, you live."
~Douglas Adams

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:36 am 
In the photos it appears they are a direct bolt-up. I've seen a picture of those shocks before but did not know the model number.
Go to google and type in "honda ps250 ohlins" then hit search.
Then on the second search page you'll see a link from noobowsystems which is written in Japanese, next to and below that link hit the google translator.
Scroll down a ways and you'll see the part about the Ohlins HO839...semi-confusing and not clear in the translation.
Those appear to be available in Ohio @ $443.50, I've already emailed them.
BRed I am going to PM you on yet another idea.

Iron Butt
Iron Butt
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:08 pm 
The Ohlins catalog picture shows a round eyelet bottom mount on the Foresight shock but the picture on his page shows the correct clevis.......
i couldn't make any sense of the text, even with the translation.....
but as far as I could understand it, it did sound like he was saying it was a drop-in replacment.

Perhaps someone who reads Japanese can interpret that paragraph for us?

~Douglas Adams

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:12 pm 
BRed: Sent you a pm.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:55 pm 
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... start%3D10

Unknown if the Ohlins HO839 for the Honda FES250 Foresight has the correct lower shock mount like in the pictures. The fellow indicated the upper mount was too thin and required a washer. Need to see a photo of the lower shock mounting on one to be sure, doubtless it is a special order since that is a European model. Also like the Zeta handguards.

Iron Butt
Iron Butt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:49 pm 
It appears it does have the correct bottom clevis.........
here's an Italian made replacement shock for the Foresight.

The bottom mount is correct and if both top and bottom use 10mm bolts, it should work.

http://www.teknoetre.it/Amm.imaxiscooter/TKA310.405.htm

BUT........
The spring will definitely be too light, since the Foresight has dual shocks......
for any Ohlins shock, that's easy enough to fix.

It might be worth checking out the Ohlins Foresight version you found.....
Ohlins might even take the original springs in trade, if it's new in the box and has never been installed?

~Douglas Adams

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:55 pm 

Last edited by hal9000 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:32 pm 
Here is a Bitubo replacement for the Foresight. http://www.sip-scootershop.com/Products ... tails.aspx

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:48 pm 
Any idea on the superbikeitalia shock what weight the spring is rated at? I wonder if they would fit a different spring to match the rider/gear weight? The oncycles website purports to make sure the shock is set up for your application, that might be scary. There is an Ohlins spring decoder here http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/inde ... ion-chart/ but I was stoned when the newtons/meter squared discussion was going on in school so it didn't stick.

hal9000 wrote:
The HO839 is the shock I ordered from oncycles...my posts are in the Ohlins partner thread.
Let me tell you about my experience with oncycles....THEY SUCK! After listing the shock as in stock they notified me the shock would have to come from Sweden and was they only one left in the world :ucrazy:. They told me it would ship in two weeks. Four weeks later and no contact from them. I check their webpage only to find the shock on sale $40 cheaper than when I ordered it. I contacted them and they told me they just happened to speak with Ohlins earlier that day(ummm yeah) and my shock would ship by the end of the week. I told them I wanted to cancel my order and buy the shock from another business. They told me I couldn't cancel because the shock was in transit to my home. So all of the sudden my shock was on it's way? After much arguing they agreed to cancel my order. After over a week I had to file a charge dispute with my credit card company since they had yet to credit my account. They've yet to issue the credit.

All dimensions of the Foresight shock should fit the BR just fine....I spoke with an Ohlins rep and the photo shown is a generic photo...the Foresight shock has a clevis.....
Maybe you'll have better luck with oncycles..it now says three week order time.
This place told me it is a special order part but they can get it...I don't think it's free shipping like oncycles..but maybe they have better service.
http://www.superbikeitalia.com/shop/det ... ubTwo=1125

the 98-2002 Foresight has one shock..not two

here's a Foresight with the Ohlins

Iron Butt
Iron Butt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:53 pm 
Well, there you go!

I've dealt with SIP Scooter for tires and other unobtaniums in the US and have always been extremely satisfied with the outcome and their prices are as much as 40% under most US shops.
(I know, bad for the trade deficit, but what the hell....at least it's not Chinese?)

Bitubo is also a trusted brand of shock, not an Ohlins but still...........

I noticed this on the SIP page:
"Depending on machine type, available in stereo and mono"

:|
just trying to figure out if "stereo" means dual springs or dual shocks......
it looks like the version in the picture has concentric springs?

the good news is.....if the European Foresight uses a monoshock for all model years, then we have a BR replacement shock for around $300? :banger:

~Douglas Adams

One of Us
One of Us

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:03 pm 
BRed wrote:
Well, there you go!

I've dealt with SIP Scooter for tires and other unobtaniums in the US and have always been extremely satisfied with the outcome and their prices are as much as 40% under most US shops.
(I know, bad for the trade deficit, but what the hell....at least it's not Chinese?)

Bitubo is also a trusted brand of shock, not an Ohlins but still...........

I noticed this on the SIP page:
"Depending on machine type, available in stereo and mono"

:|
just trying to figure out if "stereo" means dual springs or dual shocks......
it looks like the version in the picture has concentric springs?

the good news is.....if the European Foresight uses a monoshock for all model years, then we have a BR replacement shock for around $300? :banger:

BRed , just out of curiosity , in all your discussions with Ohlins was there ever a multiple purchase discount discussed ?

TheReaper!

Iron Butt
Iron Butt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:26 pm 
Right at the very start, yes.......there was a chance for a bulk purchase.
I didn't have the money to do it.

Jerry offered a special price for 6 or 8 pairs of external reservoir bodies on an order that had been cancelled or something.....
it was short notice and we had to commit to buy them all, but the lot (minus 1 pair) was bought by a dealer before we got around to getting a big order together.

since then it's been a pair at a time.

The two original prototypes for the BR were from that lot......FSTZX9 in Florida bought the second one of the pair.

I think all sold since that time were internal reservoir types, which are totally adequate for highway use with the BR.
External reservoir types have advantages in off road or back road use.

The problem is we've never had more than 3 or 4 riders at any one time willing to commit!! :lol:

I will definitely consider giving that $288 Bitubo shock a try on #2. :banger:

~Douglas Adams

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:37 pm 
Warney wrote:
Any idea on the superbikeitalia shock what weight the spring is rated at? I wonder if they would fit a different spring to match the rider/gear weight? The oncycles website purports to make sure the shock is set up for your application, that might be scary. There is an Ohlins spring decoder here http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/inde ... ion-chart/ but I was stoned when the newtons/meter squared discussion was going on in school so it didn't stick.

The stock spring on the HO839 is -11. If I'm reading the chart correctly it's 308lbs. Some BR members seem to have theirs configured very close to the numbers on the chart(-15 spring 354lbs for 340lb total weight). Others seem to have theirs configured quite a bit below those numbers(-15 spring 354lbs for 250lb total weight). So I'm not really sure what would work for you. BRed may know more about spring choice since he did early testing. I put weight information in during the order process at Oncycles but have no idea if they were actually going to change the spring. Since I range from 160-180lbs and don't really ride two-up it probably wouldn't have been an issue. But for heavier riders and frequent two-up riders I'd make it a point to find out before ordering.

In the end the crappy service at Oncycles ended up working out for me. Last week I came across the Bitubo and placed my order. It came to $312 with shipping. It's not something they had in stock but I should be seeing it later this week or early next week. Unlike Oncycles they are very good about communication! I'll post some pics when it comes in.

Iron Butt
Iron Butt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:47 pm 
One thing worries me........I see both dual shocks and monoshocks listed for the Foresight in different years.
One one page it shows different engine sizes with a monoshock listed for a 150cc and a dual system for a 250.

Hal, you're point man......I'll buy one if it works for you!!! :lol:

that's the way we conservative BR riders work........ :wasted:

~Douglas Adams

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next