Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Duplicating Kijima Front Rack
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:41 am 
I've inquired with a supplier (that can bend small aluminum or mild steel tubing) to create a facsimile of the $$$ Kijima front rack. No clue what the cost is; only asked them for a rough estimate based on a photo. They would likely require accurate dimensions, angles, etc. to produce the rack. I'm no Draftsman, can someone supply photos and accurate dimensions of the front rack and it's mounting brackets?
Warren

Iron Butt
Iron Butt
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: Duplicating Kijima Front Rack
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:33 pm 
I have one of these but I welded two pieces of flat stock to mine and then turned it into a QD base for my 2.5 gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

it's Quick Detachable in name only.....it still take about a half hour to remove. :|

I think the rear basket type cargo racks are where the real money is!
These replace the grab bars and basically double the cargo area size.

I'd like a rear rack for #2.....IMHO, it may be the most useful of all bolt on mods. :banger:

"You live and learn......at any rate, you live."
~Douglas Adams

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:51 am 
Hi BRed:
Sent picture to a tubing fabricator; waiting to hear back with a rough cost estimate. Runaway Brain is getting some additional photos (just in case they are needed) but my guess is that precise measurements of tubing diameters and angles would be necessary at some point. AFAIK the Kijima rack is made of mild steel. Don't know if the front rack should be any bigger or of any shortcomings on the original, got any ideas? Also unclear how the mounting brackets are configured, especially the lower bracket mount is unclear how it looks and what it mounts to. Also will need to determine the tubing sizes of the frame on the BR where the rack mounts, would want extra room for a rubber buffer between the BR frame and the rack to avoid any scratching.
Warren

Iron Butt
Iron Butt
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:21 am 
The front racks are a little iffy when used with the NA version of the BR......
they use two clamps to connect to the speedo guard tube uprights and have two bottom brackets that mount to the rectangular headlight used on the JDM PS250. The double bugeye Ruckus headlights have nothing for this bracket to connect with.

On BioHazard, I bent the bottom brackets parallel to the frame and cut and drilled a piece of flat stock to bolt to these two bottom brackets and I used it to hang the Stebel air horn on, under the aux fuel tank and behind the headlights.

~Douglas Adams

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:46 pm 
The front rack may not be intended to hold a lot of weight, going out to look at the frame tubing the rack mounts to.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:23 pm 
Supplier says can't do that kind of job... Back to the drawing board.

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:52 pm 
if your looking to duplicate it or even a version of it youl have to get one first hand so you have actual demensions in hand and can do more than just goin off of some one elses mesurments to give to a 3rd party to make only for it to be very far off. just an idea

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:18 pm 
Warney wrote:
Hi BRed:
Sent picture to a tubing fabricator; waiting to hear back with a rough cost estimate. Runaway Brain is getting some additional photos (just in case they are needed) but my guess is that precise measurements of tubing diameters and angles would be necessary at some point. AFAIK the Kijima rack is made of mild steel. Don't know if the front rack should be any bigger or of any shortcomings on the original, got any ideas? Also unclear how the mounting brackets are configured, especially the lower bracket mount is unclear how it looks and what it mounts to. Also will need to determine the tubing sizes of the frame on the BR where the rack mounts, would want extra room for a rubber buffer between the BR frame and the rack to avoid any scratching.
Warren

E-mail is on the way with some pics of the rack. Hope they help...

Iron Butt
Iron Butt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:48 pm 
Pictures help but there's nothing like taking one of the original pieces to a fabricator and saying....
"Can you copy this?"

most when they see it, will realize that of course, they can easily make one.....
but when pricing it, it usually turns out that their price will be within $100 of the Kajima part.

I did just that with the rear extended basket rack...the estimate was $300. Unpainted.
$400 for stainless steel.

to do it with any efficiency of mass production, they would need to make some jigs for bending and frame hole alignment.

Still if the Kajima parts for the BR are going away, then having a mint specimen of each rack could become a profitable enterprise?

Oh, wait.....there are probably way less than 2000 BRs left in North America now, giving the attrition rate of scrapped and parted out BRs......
this last one makes like the 8th or 9th that I've seen on eBay now.

How many more went straight to the scrap heap?

How many more are rusting away?

How many more are sitting under tarps in garages somewhere, with 56 miles on them?

How many ended up as beach or mountain tour rentals??

How many actually went to Great Britain during that buy up??

maybe that only leaves those listed here on TR? :lol:

~Douglas Adams

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:46 pm 
Thought it would be a simple matter to duplicate the front rack but found out otherwise. One supplier replied they were not interested in that sort of a job but suggested a company with a CNC pipe bender would be the place to inquire. Still pondering options...
One observation, Kajima accessories are expensive but very well made and priced accordingly.
Don't know how many BR's went to Britain, you would think someone from there would have checked in here by now.
If any were sent outside Japan and North America it was not Honda doing the sending.
That none found their way to Australia or New Zealand surprises me.
By the VIN list, there were probably 2400 or less sent to North America, unknown how many are in Japan or how many have died and went to the junkyard.

n00bie

Years on TR

Living room mechanic
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:35 pm 
Warney wrote:
Thought it would be a simple matter to duplicate the front rack but found out otherwise. One supplier replied they were not interested in that sort of a job but suggested a company with a CNC pipe bender would be the place to inquire. Still pondering options...
One observation, Kajima accessories are expensive but very well made and priced accordingly.
Don't know how many BR's went to Britain, you would think someone from there would have checked in here by now.
If any were sent outside Japan and North America it was not Honda doing the sending.
That none found their way to Australia or New Zealand surprises me.
By the VIN list, there were probably 2400 or less sent to North America, unknown how many are in Japan or how many have died and went to the junkyard.

Did you ever find someone to make the Kajima rack? I bought the front and back ones from Japan, but I'm not sure even the front will work...

n00bie

Years on TR

Living room mechanic
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:50 pm 
Ok I just learned what a "Big Ruckus" is and that that is what forum I'm now in. :) I don't have a BR, just a 2014 regular one. Looking for racks for it and these 2 I got from Japan do not work on my Ruckus. Why doesn't anyone make decent racks for the Ruckus??