Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ   * Search 

n00bie

Years on TR

Post subject: Ruckus won't start, carb problem?
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:46 pm 
Hi all. I recently acquired a 2007 Ruckus. I got it from my brother, and it was running fine about 5 weeks ago. It sat since then, and now it won't start. Thinking that in that amount of time the carb might possibly have been gunked up, I followed the guide on this site (http://totalruckus.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17488) to clean the carburetor. The only difference was that I didn't have an air compressor, so I couldn't blast after using the cleaner (maybe the problem?). Still it won't start. I tested the spark plug. It sparked nicely, and shocked me nicely, so that's working. I changed the spark plug anyway for good measure, and still no start. So I went and got some starting fluid, and I also got some Start your engines fuel system revitalizer stuff you put in your gas. I tried out the starting fluid by spraying it into the carburetor intake, but most of it spilled back out (any tips on how this should be done?). Didn't start, so I tried putting the start your engines stuff in the gas. Still no start. However, after blasting some more starting fluid in the carb, it FINALLY STARTED!... For about 2 seconds. So I'm guessing the problem is still the carb, and it should be cleaned again; I was thinking I'd go with a soaking overnight, actually getting some duster and blasting with air, and air drying method this time. But, before going ahead and pulling it apart again, I thought I'd check if anyone had any other suggestions for me, so here we are. Thanks in advance for any help

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

2011 TR Donor
 Post subject: Re: Ruckus won't start, carb problem?
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:07 am 
For the starting fluid- pull the intake snorkel off the carb, spray that stuff in there, but make sure you put that snorkel/airbox back on there before you start it, it won't run well if you leave that off.
If the gas in the tank is old, and been sitting for a while, that is something to consider as well.
Also check vaccuum lines, and make sure the fuel pump is working, they tend to fail after a while.

Don't H8 The Scooter- H8 The Game

n00bie

Years on TR

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:07 pm 
Thanks for the tip. I emptied the gas tank and put in fresh gas so that should be ok. I'm guessing to check the fuel pump I just pull the line out of the carb and hit the kick start and see if it squirts out? Any tips for checking the vacuum lines? Thanks again

n00bie

Years on TR

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:27 pm 
So Still no luck with this issue. When I pull the fuel line out of the carb and try to kick start it, I'm not getting any gas to come out. Is this the correct method for testing the fuel pump? I can't seem to find much info on this. The battery is dead, and has always been dead, but we've never had any trouble just kick starting it until now. On a side note, my brother told me that it had apparently been laid on it's side in the back of a truck, but that this could only potentially get oil in the air filter, and that's clean...

Back to the matter at hand... I changed the fuel filter and tested all of the lines running between the gas tank and the carb and they all flow properly. I cleaned the carb again because I thought there might still have been some of the old gas in the lines when I was testing it. Still no luck. On a side note, my brother told me that it had apparently been laid on it's side in the back of a truck, but that this would only potentially gum up the air filter, and that's clean...

I'm thinking this is pointing to a problem with the fuel pump. However, I'm having trouble finding any information on how to test or change the fuel pump for a Ruckus. I figured it'd be pretty easy, but someone told me you have to reset the cpu when you disconnect the fuel pump, so I'm guessing it's more complex than just switching them out... If anyone could point me to any kind of info for this or give me any other ideas of things to check, I'd appreciate it. Really don't want to have to take it in to a shop, but super sick of the nice weather and the Ruckus I just bought just sitting there like a giant paperweight...

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:01 pm 
I have changed fuel pumps multiple times without touching the ECU. Take off the fuel pump find a battery that has power put positive to positive negative to negative. See if it is pushing fuel.
Pulses-Bad
Constant surge-Good
It does sound like the fuel pump though. Batteries are cheapish go get one man. I kick start almost every time but it helps out when trying to diagnose a problem with fuel.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:56 am 
You could try taking off the carb bowl and filling it up with fuel then carefully putting it back on. After that, kick it over a few times till it starts and then go from there. That should at least tell you if it runs and possibly charge the battery a little (not enough to autostart) as long as it's still good. Might even help the pump prime the fuel line.

To check fuel pump, good/charged battery, pump is under fuel tank (obviously), turn key to start and feel pump for pulses/clicking. It should do it about 5 to 7 times. If so, fuel pump good, if not, something bad.

Ride Game Participant
Ride Game Participant
Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:02 am 
To start off if you haven't all ready GET a new battery.
The fuel pump is electric and won't run if the Battery is dead.
They we can try to troubleshoot again...Like removing the jets
To clean out the small holes more later...
BTW if you got it running let us all know thanks

Total Ruckus Super Scooter Search Of Massive Results

n00bie

Years on TR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:01 pm 
This is part of my post on the other thread:

Here is what I do in the spring. I drain the gas out of the tank, with a small hand pump I got at Harbor Freight. I put about a quart of fresh gas, and carb cleaner/fuel injector cleaner mixture in the tank. It's a fairly strong mix. The bottle says it treats 20 gals of gas. I used about 1/4 of the bottle to a gallon of gas.
I remove the battery in the fall and take it in the house for the winter. I put a fresh charge on the battery and put it back in the scoot. Then I put the charger on the battery, to help turn the motor over.
I remove the spark plug, and squirt some gas in the cylinder with a little ear syringe, and replace the plug.
Then I hit the starter. The scoot starts, runs a couple seconds and stalls. I put more gas in the cylinder, and start it again, It runs a little longer, and stalls. I pull the plug and squirt more gas in the cylinder, and start it again. The third time it stumbles a bit and stays running. I just let it idle a while on the stand, and it gradually smooths out, as the fresh gas and carb cleaner mix get into the carb, and the engine warms up. After about 15 minutes warmup, I take it out for a ride, and ride five miles or so, partly at WOT, to clean everything out. When I get home, I fill the tank with fresh gas, and a weaker mix of carb cleaner. It now starts every day, and runs fine. I was ready to pull the carb and clean everything out, when I decided to try this one last trick, and it worked!

Squirting gas into the cylinder will get it started for a few seconds or more. And a battery charger on the battery will help get it turning over. A battery charger on the battery for a couple minutes won't hurt the battery, and will help spin the motor over. Trust me, pulling the plug and squirting gas into the cylinder a few times is a lot easier than pulling the carb, and all that goes with that little job. Not to mention the potential to screw something up. Most No Start problems are carb related, and can be resolved just by getting some fresh gas through the carb, along with some carb cleaner. It may stall a few times, but eventually it will smooth out and stay running.
And you shouldn't need a new battery in an 07 Ruckus. I have the original battery in my 03 Ruck. However, if it has been sitting dead for a while, it may be ruined.