Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ   * Search 

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Honda Ruckus battery/starting problem...please help
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:12 am 
Hi there,

I havee an 08 Ruckus that was running pretty good this past summer. Live in Michigan so during this winter it hasnt had any use. Went to start it up a few weaks ago with electric start and it wouldn't start...just clicked. Anyway, I kick started it and it the bike started up but the headlights were awefully dim and kind of flickering. So I thought that it was due to the battery. I just recently bought a slow charger made for motorcycle and lawn mowers along with car batteries(ctek) and charged the battery overnight.

Okay, so I went to start the ruckus up with electric start today and it fired right up. Headlights weren't flickering anymore and everything seemed okay. Since it is very cold here in Michigan, left the bike idle for 20 minutes. Anything sooner and the bike would shutdown on application of throttle. After 20 minutes the bike ran fine(could apply full throttle and it would run). Heres the bad part,when i went to restart it one more time to make sure everything was cool, the bike wouldn't start and the electric starter just clicked away...seems like hardly any juice in battery. I don't understand, I thought the battery is being charged while in idle and not being drained.

So I just left the battery on the charger for 10 minutes and tried to start the bike with electric start and it started like it should within a second of pressing the electric start button. Did notice that the lights were still kind of dim and would get brighter on mid/full throttle. Assume stator is working if that happens. So is this a battery issue? Non Charging and battery draining issue during long idle? Bike has 700 miles on it and is less than two years old still on original battery. I'm wondering if I ruined the battery by letting it completely discharge and leaving it in that state for a few months.

B

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

2011 TR Donor
 Post subject: Re: Honda Ruckus battery/starting problem...please help
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:23 am 
the battery is not charging at idle. that is why the light dim. it is normal.
letting it sit dead for a few months may have killed the battery; time will tell.

Patron Saint of TR
Patron Saint of TR
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:25 am 
Sometimes the idle on the engine is set low enough that it won't charge the battery when just idleing. You can check it out by looking at your headlights and if they are dim when the bike is idleing then you need to raise the idle a little bit. I had that same problem and raising the idle some so that the headlights are bright solved the problem. :)

TT-350z wrote:
thats like me rocking ssbc stickers without meeting stimpy :twisted:

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:33 am 
Thanks Rat.

So, I should've noted that when I first started this ruckus up today after a two month sit on a freshly charged battery this morning, it took a good minute of electric cranking to get the ruckus started and then 20 minutes of idle to keep it from stalling with even a little throttle applied(cold blooded).

Was the battery draining during that idle then (hence the no start after I shut it off forcing me to use the charger for 10 minutes to get it to work again)?

What rpm is the stator charging then or better yet, what speed of riding the ruckus does it charge snce I don't have an rpm gauge?

Can a ruckus run without a battery like a car running on an alternator and no battery?

The battery must serve more of a purpose other than using it for electric start. Could've swore the lights remained constant under no load/load on a fully charged battery and then dim on no load and bright under load on a weaker battery.

Thanks, Mike

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:39 am 
Also should point out a couple of mods I have done to this bike...

#1. Went to battle scooter and bought slightly brighter headlight bulbs for the ruckus.

#2. Installed a gorilla two way cycle paging alarm. I know for a fact that I cannot leave the alarm on over a few days without draining the battery. Very simple two wire hookup...ground and positive went to battery terminal. I would assume if it is off that it isn't doing anything to the ruckus while running.

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:43 am 
Well the brighter bulbs wont help the charging situation.

Most likely once you get it idleing properly and running better (see carb cleaning) and the battery full charged the bulbs won't cause much
problems with semi regular use. Seems the worst thing to do with a ruckus is to let it sit.

I leave one headlight unplugged at all times so that it charges better.
And yes, you need a battery.

Chucks Big Ruckus

Morphesty 400cc

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:14 am 
Okay...found this thread...
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28977&start=15

Guess it is a no go on letting a cold bike idle for a long time and not riding it. Not only does your battery drain during idle, it appears that idling a long time without riding is very hard on engine and oil doesnn't get to where it needs to be like riding it. So i guess durring this crappy Michigan winter, the bike sits ona battery tender and waits till decent weather...April, to even consider riding again. Bites.....wanna move South. Between the depressing weather/ auto industry/housing and Detroit Lions it's hard to be happy. Hell, even the Red Wings and Pistons suck now.

Is there a ytz7s SUPER battery replacement out there better than the stock OEM? Like a gel. There seem to be a bunch of ytz7s' out there in the 35 to 60 dollar range. Some have pointed out the nothing is better than OEM...not sure if that is really true and for $100+ they should be.

Patron Saint of TR
Patron Saint of TR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:25 am 
I'll tell you that my Audiovox alarm killed my battery even when I didn't arm it for over a month. I don't know about the one you have, but just keep an eye on it cuz mine destroyed a brand new battery within a year. :(

TT-350z wrote:

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:16 am 
I'm sure there is a better way for me to wire my alarm in then directly to battery using a switch to kill all power to it. I'm not so sure that it uses any power when not armed. I'll have to experiment but it seems that these little batteries need to be constantly maintained when not in use for a period of time. I'm just going to make it a habit to keep the ruckus always hooked to a battery tender when not in use in my garage....summer and winter. Treat it like an electric bike or something.

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:44 pm 
My 05 is still on its original battery. And like you, it doesnt get a lot of seat time.
Many times I thought it was toast, but after kick starting and riding a bit,
then putting it on a cheapo black and decker trickle charger, it seemed to come back from the dead.

Chucks Big Ruckus

Morphesty 400cc

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:51 am 
I installed a blackout switch so I can operate the scooter with the headlights off, this would help you as well with the engine warm up. The brights work, but the switch only kills the dims. Then when you go onto the highway, simply hit the blackout switch back on and you are good to go.

My military Ruckus in Desert Sand and USMC markings Semper Fidelis
viewtopic.php?f=95&t=49132

Patron Saint of TR
Patron Saint of TR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:57 am 
Here's a link to the place I bought my replacement battery from, they shipped it out quickly, and I really like it!!! :)

link: http://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/m ... YTZ7S.html

TT-350z wrote:

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:01 pm 
TOTALLY GREAT PRICE! :D

n00bie

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:08 pm 
Thanks for the info. Just ordered mine.
I too had the alarm and I'm sure it played a part in my battery dieing in my 08, that I am planning on selling.

Indiana
Dave

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:47 am 
What I do over the winter is roll the scoot out EVERY weekend and let it idle for 20 mins. This also keeps the carb from gumming up along with Sta-Bil and Chevron regular gas in the tank.

It's a 2007 with a few thousand miles, never had to charge the battery even though I bought a trickle charger back then, and have the pigtail routed out of the battery box. (Black & Decker from WalMart for 20 bucks).

If you can't do that, then a trickle charger is the way to go of course.

:XD

MR SHORTY'S Vendors Corner

:usa: