Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Garage mechanic
 Post subject: Is the factory setting for the fuel/air mix lean
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:09 am 
Soon after I first got my new 2014 Ruckus, I installed a Tach. Engine parts are still all stock. I noticed that the idle was below 2000 RPM's ,so to increase that, I just upped it by using the idle adjustment under the seat. After much research as of late I see that maybe I should have started with the fuel/air mix.

I called up the dealer that sold me the ruckus to ask, when they assemble the bike, do they set the air / fuel mix since my RPMs were a little low before my idle screw adjustment. He stated it comes from factory, but that "Factory typically sets that up lean to meet emissions" and suggested that I may want to back it out an addition 1 to 1-1/2 turns.

Does that sound right/familiar? These seem like really good folks but just curious on the communities take is on this?

Also, I am now aware of the general rule to set the fuel /air mix. I would start getting a good warm up and lower the Idle back using the under seat screw. Do you think its a good strategy to start where the screw is now and start with moving left (richer), see if it rises, then back off. Then maybe go the other direction for the rise and fall then go for the middle? Then in the end use the idle screw to bring to to 2000 RPMs.

This is different than starting new by closing in all the way, back out 2 1/2 to meet factory, then do the adjustments above. I am thinking if the dealer is correct I may just want to start going left from where its is now and mark my starting point and keep track of rotations incase i need to out it back, I want to be really careful not to mess this up.

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
 Post subject: Re: Is the factory setting for the fuel/air mix lean
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:37 am 
Honda sets it lean to get the gas mileage.

Ron says it's drafty in here and those damn kids still won't get off his lawn. :smile:

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:42 am 
lilpinny wrote:
Honda sets it lean to get the gas mileage.

Thanks lilpinny. Always helpful. So do you think its a good strategy to start moving counter clockwise out (richer side) as stated originally. Do you think its typically 1 to 1/2 off lean. Don't want to screw it out!

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:57 am 
i'd keep it stock, unless you really want to start messing with it... one thing will lead to another. Honda builds a really well engineered machine right out of the box.

If you want to start tinkering, your going to have to start learning and stuff. Alot people start off tinkering and then wish they'd just kept it stock. It's a slippery slope.

But tinkering is kinda why alot of us are here.

My 2 cents.

But yeah, bottom it out and then find whatever the how many turns it is out (counter clockwise) from bottom... what ever the stock position is. I'm not sure what the stock position is...

Ron says it's drafty in here and those damn kids still won't get off his lawn. :smile:

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:06 am 
lilpinny wrote:
i'd keep it stock, unless you really want to start messing with it... one thing will lead to another. Honda builds a really well engineered machine right out of the box.

If you want to start tinkering, your going to have to start learning and stuff. Alot people start off tinkering and then wish they'd just kept it stock. It's a slippery slope.

But tinkering is kinda why alot of us are here.

My 2 cents.

But yeah, bottom it out and then find whatever the how many turns it is out (counter clockwise) from bottom... what ever the stock position is. I'm not sure what the stock position is...

Ask for stock position, I mean the rotational position the fuel/air is in now, which I assume should have been set from factory since the dealer stated they don't touch that.

But are you stating that leaving it as, "lean" which was proclaimed Honda does for emissions, is good if you want the best out of the standard carb, air filter, and exhaust? Or are you saying the risk of making a bit richer is not worth it if you are not expert.

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:53 pm 
On the carb, the air screw position is usually described by how many turns out it is... so you screw it all the way in until it can't screw in anymore. Then the stock position will be something like 1 1/2 turns out, or something like that. I'd put it back like that. You'll have to find out what that setting is.

You can monkey with the screw if you want since you'll know how to put it back if you don't like it.

I guess what I'm saying is that they set it to get the most out of their engine on their bike... the way they think it should operate.

I'd just leave it the way it was set stock. But you can always mess with it as long as you know how to reset it back. Try it.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:51 pm 
lilpinny wrote:
I guess what I'm saying is that they set it to get the most out of their engine on their bike... the way they think it should operate.

So the way it should operate is "lean"?

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:45 am 
I still am looking for a follow up answer on this if anyone knows more. On background. I made some inquiries to the Honda dealer that sold me my 2014 ruckus and they stated the factory sets the air/fuel mix lean to meet emissions. (Lilpinny also stated he believed the same). The guy at the Honda dealer also stated that if it was him, he would open it up a bit (make richer).

Question: If the bike’s air filter and exhaust are all stock, is there any benefit in performance to dial it in more balanced? (neither rich or lean). Is the factory leaner setting really ideal?

I would simply experiment myself to find that out, but it’s not simple anymore. They now cover the air/fuel mix screw. The cover would have to be drilled out to get to the D Screw. Before I even consider doing the and make an adjustment, I want to know if there is a potential benefit.

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:32 am 
You know they sell drugs... they give away the pipe for free.

How badly do you want to get into it?

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:49 am 
Hmm. Seriously. Is lean best for emissions, or performance, or both with all stock.

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:53 pm 
I can't say this enough. At some point a higher power will kick in with you and show you the way.

Honda designed a killer machine as is.

You can fuck with it, some of us do, but once you start fucking it with, you'll be out on your own

Do do you want to take the blue pill and have it all work well for a long time, or do you want to take the red pill and live in the edge where it might or might not pay off.

Blue or Red? That's not something I can answer for you.