Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ   * Search 

Pick one
Moped 16%  16%  [ 8 ]
Scooter 54%  54%  [ 27 ]
Motorcycle 30%  30%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 50

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: Does a Stock Ruckus be classify as a scooter or moped?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:16 pm 
In Illinois the ruckus and other 49cc scooters are considered mopeds. I have moped plates.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:36 pm 
14HueJass wrote:
where's motorcycle? Anything over 30mph is a Motorcycle in my state.

same here in indiana. but most people just say it doesn't go over 30 and they get away without registering it. so you don't require a license or insurance to ride. so all the people with no license can ride them lol

my build thread

http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=64583

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:43 pm 
exodon_paradoxus wrote:
In Illinois the ruckus and other 49cc scooters are considered mopeds. I have moped plates.

What are "Moped Plates?" When I got Plates for mine, the Illinois DMV gave me Plates that look like Motorcycle Plates! :?:

SlimClone: Fuck off Ron

One of Us
One of Us

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:44 pm 
Ruckster Ron wrote:
exodon_paradoxus wrote:

What are "Moped Plates?" When I got Plates for mine, the Illinois DMV gave me Plates that look like Motorcycle Plates! :?:

(In IL) Moped plates have blue letters/numbers, motorcycle plates have red letters/numbers. Other than that they look the same.

Rusty Trombonner
Rusty Trombonner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:48 pm 
To everyone that said check your state laws, add one more.
Check your state laws.
Scooters are called mopeds until they go over 50cc in SC then they are called scooters. Scooters and motorcycles are treated the same in the eyes of the law and the state. MC tags and insurance and MC endorsement on your license. Mopeds require no special license unless you have no other license and are not required to carry insurance.

Now as to whether or not a cop will hassle you, that depends on the cop and the mood. Currently, if you look like Dr. Charles, you will get pulled over and charged with being "gang-like." (that was a joke but it comes from here: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=61839 )
And Yes, if you're going 60 on your Ruckus, you'll probably attract attention to yourself. Unwanted attention. You'll likely not see it again or not see it in the same shape you left it in when it got impounded. You could get lucky though.

Look at it this way too, if you can get it titled and registered as a motorcycle, they'll have to let you take the road test on it.

Rusty Trombonner
Rusty Trombonner
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:56 am 
Infernohit wrote:
Well texas law stated my ruckus is a motorcycle and made me reg. it as one.
Nothing wrong with that. Take the safety course and get your "M" endorsement on your license. That way you can hit the road when your ready for an upgrade.

Ride Game Participant
Ride Game Participant
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:16 am 
MOtor PEDals

Rucks don't have pedals :meh:

Elite SR50 slammed with GET Powurr <CLICKY
That new new '13 Metropolitan <CLICKY

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:52 am 
In my state (South Carolina) according to state law, a "moped" means a cycle with pedals to permit propulsion by human power or without pedals and with a motor of not more than 50 cubic centimeters, with not more than two brake horsepower and which can't go over 30 miles an hour on level ground. If an internal combustion engine is used, the moped must have a power drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutching or shifting by the operator after the drive system is engaged.

So my Met is tagged as a "Moped". I've been pulled 3 times now for going over 30mph. Each time the officer agreed with me that going less than 30mph on the 2 lane highway I travel was far more dangerous than almost keeping up with traffic and let me go with a warning and the threat of a ticket should they pull me over again. With a top speed of 50mph I decided a "motorcycle" tag would resolve the issue.

I go to the DMV to get a motorcycle tag and register it as as a motorcycle and I'm told that since the title says 49cc, it can't be tagged as a motorcycle :headbashing:

You would think they would gladly take my Money for registration and tag? It's bureaucracy at its finest. :ucrazy:

"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time." - Mario Andretti

Rusty Trombonner
Rusty Trombonner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:04 pm 
The way SC law is worded, that makes a bicycle a moped. 13 year old kids are required to have a moped license by this wording.

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:28 am 
racerx wrote:
In my state (South Carolina) according to state law, a "moped" means a cycle with pedals to permit propulsion by human power or without pedals and with a motor of not more than 50 cubic centimeters, with not more than two brake horsepower and which can't go over 30 miles an hour on level ground. If an internal combustion engine is used, the moped must have a power drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutching or shifting by the operator after the drive system is engaged.

So my Met is tagged as a "Moped". I've been pulled 3 times now for going over 30mph. Each time the officer agreed with me that going less than 30mph on the 2 lane highway I travel was far more dangerous than almost keeping up with traffic and let me go with a warning and the threat of a ticket should they pull me over again. With a top speed of 50mph I decided a "motorcycle" tag would resolve the issue.

I go to the DMV to get a motorcycle tag and register it as as a motorcycle and I'm told that since the title says 49cc, it can't be tagged as a motorcycle :headbashing:

You would think they would gladly take my Money for registration and tag? It's bureaucracy at its finest. :ucrazy:

Yep, that sounds like Michigan. My Ruck is tagged as a "Moped", which means no plate, just a sticker you need to replace every 3 years for 15 bucks- no insurance, and no helmet needed if your over 16. I called the Secretary of State info center to see if I should get it plated as a motorcycle since it will go over 30, and they said I should. Then I asked if you could even GET a plate for a 49cc and the guy said "no, you can't do that. I mean, umm, well... uuhhhhh..."

I think everyone who works for the SOS is a little confused. :ucrazy:

MY BUILD THREAD

Photo of the Week
Photo of the Week

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:46 pm 
In Ca it's a Motor Driven Cycle. Therefore you need M endorsement, insurance, and register with the DMV. It took me a week after I got my Ruckus to figure out if I needed a M endorsement. I was convinced it was a scooter (just as Honda calls it on their website) and didn't need the endorsement until I saw the motor driven cycle next to the VIN. :headbashing:

My Ruck
viewtopic.php?f=95&t=65204

★TR★Addict★
★TR★Addict★
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:25 am 
my stock ruckus yes is scooter!

i have moped sticker on my back of my scooter in michigan only that shows on sticker has number and lettering also what state was has color for replace sticker every 3 years plus you dont need driver license or insurnce you are good to go! i drive over 30mph but tops speed at 40mph on my stock engine never pulled over for speeding LOL!

viewtopic.php?f=95&t=54864
in 2012 has zero ride groups is that sucks! hope so 2013 will get new one for upcoming still in constructions

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:31 pm 
i told the dmv that i had bored it out to 58 cc and registered it as a motorcycle.

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:54 pm 
rat42 wrote:
i told the dmv that i had bored it out to 58 cc and registered it as a motorcycle.

That is what I'm thinking the easiest way to tag it as a MC will be. I'm hoping to do a GY6 swap in Spring so I was planning on waiting and doing as you suggested, have the title changed to indicate a larger displacement and then the rest is gravy.

"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time." - Mario Andretti

One of Us
One of Us

Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:02 pm 
fuck wat the local law says it is, Honda says its a scooter, then its a damn scooter. when asked tho, i always say, "its a RUCKUS!" :banger: