Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ   * Search 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

n00bie

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: Motorcycle license for your Ruckus in your State??
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:48 am 
So what happens if you live in a state without any licensing or plate requirements and travel through a state that does have the requirement for a plate or license endorsement?

Ghosts
Ghosts
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:23 am 
scribble77 wrote:
In TN, if the bike is under 50 cc no license.

NC is same..

Hobbies ==>Youtube - Photography <==

48hrs of Ruckus Official Judge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:19 pm 
odium wrote:
So what happens if you live in a state without any licensing or plate requirements and travel through a state that does have the requirement for a plate or license endorsement?

This has been asked before. Short answer: it seems to be legal, but that doesn't mean you won't get pulled over/hassled/ticketed/hauled into court/have to do some long explaining that might cost you time and money. It would start with proving you're a resident of that more lenient state, proving the legality of the unlicensed scooter in that state, proving state reciprocity, and proving the scooter was from that state as well. Or, you could just do what Wan and others did...just slap a paper dealer plate on it and be less likely to get pulled over because you have something instead of nothing on the back of your Ruckus. But I'd still be prepared to show the legality of your scooter--like printing out a copy of the relevant motor vehicle code for your state and carrying it with you (this was suggested to me by a dealer when I was scooter shopping). This is sort of similar to emissions testing laws. You as a non-resident can drive an untested car through the county I live in. But if you stay more than 30 days or work, but not live, in the county, then you need to get it tested.

Finally, remember that its legal for you to travel through that less lenient state as part of interstate reciprocity. However, you can't break some regulations--it could be illegal to ride on certain roads or highways, illegal to ride without a helmet, illegal to turn right on red, etc...--even if they are legal back in your home state.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:47 pm 
In new mexico, if its under 50cc you dont need to register it(plates) or insure it (people now steal them alot). You do need a licence of some sort to operate it, like car or motorcycle on public streets. my girlfriend works at a scooter shop here in albq so she know. Its a no helmet state asswell if your over 18.

In the bottom of your receipt it mentions that you need to get a RMA # from us which you failed to read and do so. Your item has been sent back to you, there is no tracking number. Be thankful that I shipped it back to you free of charge…

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:00 pm 
Mr Sommers wrote:
In new mexico, if its under 50cc you dont need to register it(plates) or insure it (people now steal them alot). You do need a licence of some sort to operate it, like car or motorcycle on public streets. my girlfriend works at a scooter shop here in albq so she know. Its a no helmet state asswell if your over 18.

Where's your girlfriend work? I was told the no plate/no registration/any type of license (not just a motorcycle endorsement) thing by several different dealers when I was shopping for a scooter. However, a couple admitted that this wasn't technically true since the Ruckus is capable of over 30mph. They did admit that the cops don't know the laws themselves, that there hasn't been any tickets given out for this and, consequently, you do see most 50cc scoots without plates. However, this is the actual NM vehicle code:

66-3-1101. Mopeds; standards; operator requirements; application of Motor Vehicle Code.
A. Mopeds shall comply with those motor vehicle safety standards deemed necessary and prescribed by the director of motor vehicles.
B. Operators of mopeds shall have in their possession while operating a moped a valid driver's license of any class or permit, issued to them.
C. Except as provided in Subsections A and B of this section, none of the provisions of the Motor Vehicle Code [66-1-1 NMSA 1978] relating to motor vehicles or motorcycles as defined in that code shall apply to a moped.
D. As used in this section, "moped" means a two-wheeled or three-wheeled vehicle with an automatic transmission and a motor having a piston displacement of less than fifty cubic centimeters, which is capable of propelling the vehicle at a maximum speed of not more than thirty miles per hour on level ground at sea level.

In the end, I decided to register my Ruckus. Registration & insurance is so damn cheap, I wanted a real title for various reasons, and I already had the motorcycle endorsement. My title actually says "scooter", which is sort of odd since the MVD code only defines a "scooter" as a foot powered device like a kid's Razor scooter. Technically, there's only mopeds and motorcycles in NM, but my title still says scooter for some reason. Probably related to the same reasons that NM cops think any 50cc can be driven plate-free.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:23 am 
Missouri says no tags, no license, no nada... just a need to ride.

Helmet's a pretty sweet idea, too...

(No major highways/interstates)

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:36 am 
So far we've had three people from Mo say three different things. But what the first guy, who actually posted up what the law says, was right. You have to have a drivers license (so 16 or above)

If you read the law it's is rather unclear if the ruckus meets the Moped definition. But i was told that you don't have to meet all three requirements, is that true? [shruggs shoulders] I just slapped a plate on the back that says 49cc.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:59 am 
I can tell you for a FACT that the ruck does not meet the requirements in MO. In MO, it has to be less than 55cc (we meet that), less than 3 brake HP (don't meet that) and top speed of no more than 30mph (don't meet that). It says right on the title that the hp is 4.2 and top speed is 37mph. I went to get my title in my name and the DMV woman gave me a hard time and said I need to register it.

I didn't register mine and she said if I get stopped, I could be in a lot of trouble, but how is a cop gonna prove it's over 3 hp?

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:52 am 
WTF? NYS changed their laws as well... They were once a 49cc and under = no license, now they are based on speed as well.

Anything for money, that's NYS's motto.

One of Us
One of Us

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:29 am 
Michigan law similar to others: all three need to be true
1. won't go over 30 mph
2. no more than two "braking" horsepower
3. Less than 50cc

So, in Michigan, the vehicles that meet the above are called mopeds (regardless of pedal status) and do not need license plate or rider endorsement. Only need to register and get a $15 sticker that is good for 3 years. However, in some counties in Michigan, the DMV (well, here it's the Secretary of State office) insists that it is a motorcycle b/c the title provided by the dealer SAYS "motorcycle" on it. But in other counties, they look at the cc's and give you a moped tag.

Here's the trick for Michigan: do not take the dealer title to the DMV if it says "motorcycle"! They don't need the title and I think they throw it away. If you have a receipt that says it's a 2-wheeler under 50cc, that is sufficient to get a tag.

A friend tried to get a sticker but took the dealer title with him and the offical said 'it's a mc.' Then he went to a different office without the title and with a new receipt (kindly written by the dealer after explaining the situation) and walked out 10 minutes later with a sticker. Done.

I obey all traffic laws, ride w/ helmet, don't speed in slow areas, etc. and so far no one has stopped me and said "have you tested the braking horsepower on that thing??"
8)

Space Docker
Space Docker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:55 am 
BigSlice wrote:

A moped is a vehicle that is propelled by a motor of a capacity of 50cc or less.
A maximum of two brake horse power.
A maximum speed of not more than 30 mph on a flat surface.

I have had problems with this more than anyone else on this board from Minnesota.

Bottom line: DMV offices in our state only ask question 1 from the your list of 3 which are the rules as of 1987 in this state. The department of safety will flag applications on new purchases if you try to submit it as a moped, trust me. If you have it registered as a moped already, you will keep being allowed to register it as a moped.

I had a 2004 ruckus bought used with a moped plate and i was able to renew it with no problems.

When i bought a 2007 new and the dept of safety sent me a letter 4 weeks after the DMV gave me the moped plates telling me to take the plates back and register it as a MC. I went to the DMV and the people there were actually cool...they said well....your moped plate tag expires Feb 2008....so technically you can just pretend like you never got this letter i suppose and ride on a moped plate until next year...or you can deal with the MC issue now.

I chose to ride all of 2007 with a moped plate and then registered it in Wisconsin in 2008 where its still a moped because that state is far superior to this armpit of a dumper place to live in every way moped.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:45 am 
Like mentioned above... MO riders do need a license. As for tagging the Ruck, not necessary... yet.

About the speed issue... it has never been brought up by our Jefferson City, MO police officers, county officers, state patrolmen or capital police officers. Since we are the capital of this state we have many different branches of law enforcement running through our downtown area. With that said, we also have an ever-growing crowd of Ruck riders cruising the streets of Jefferson City. I work with a few and they have absolutely no problems with the law enforcement. I know the speed limit is over thirty mph, as do we all, but the policemen never seem to bother them.

The only instance of a public demand for keeping small engines off the road were those mini-rockets for kids with the tiny engines in them. Some kids had been riding their minis into the streets through traffic so there was a big wave of keeping those kids in the driveways.

So for the Ruck, as long as the engine isn't over 50cc, they could care less.

Photo of the Week
Photo of the Week

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:46 pm 
triplejack wrote:
The only instance of a public demand for keeping small engines off the road were those mini-rockets for kids with the tiny engines in them. Some kids had been riding their minis into the streets through traffic so there was a big wave of keeping those kids in the driveways.

So for the Ruck, as long as the engine isn't over 50cc, they could care less.

Same here. Also with those stand-up motorized scooters (known here as Go-Peds.) They passed a law in this county that made them illegal to operate on public thouroughfares, but they were never technically street legal to begin with.

Everything that met DOT regs was left alone.

One of Us
One of Us

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:12 pm 
Virginia-No license, no tags, no insurance...But you can't travel over 35 mph. Should you get pulled going over 35...you could get busted for driving a illegal motorcycle, and since you thought you were not required to carry insurance and didn't, the police can impound your scooter. 3 charges..Driving without a M class permit....Untagged motorcycle....Unisured motor vehicle. That's if the cop wants to really be a prick. I live in Richmond, Va. and have only heard of getting hassled in the counties. We got to much crime in-town to worry about a couple of fast scoots. There is some statewide legislation coming down on scooters, but I haven't heard exactly what it is yet. It looks like < 50cc will be a new permit designation.

On the pro-active side. I was able to license, insure, get an inspection sticker for my Ruckus, as a motorcycle. Because my Ruckus is now a motorcycle, in the eyes of Virginia, I qualified and completed my M Class license designation TODAY!! Now I can get that giant Harley I always wanted or maybe a V-twin swap.

Photo of the Week
Photo of the Week

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:42 pm 
CitizenX wrote:
Now I can get that giant Harley I always wanted or maybe a V-twin swap.

Or get the best of both worlds with a Scootster. It's a scooter kit for a H-D Sportster 883 or 1200.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next