Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Does police radar work on scooters? Need help
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:41 pm 
I got a speeding ticket with the cop saying I was going 39 mph in a 25 zone. Nothing could be further from the truth. The Vino 125 can only reach 31 mph max at that point just beyond a 4-way stop. There is also a bend at that point in the road so riding aggressively isn't a possibility. It is physically impossible to get my scooter up to that speed under those road and traffic conditions. How reliable are the police radar readings? Does anyone have case law or research articles they can refer me to?

Ride Game Participant
Ride Game Participant
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Location: the land of cotton... old times here are not forgotten
Living room mechanic
 Post subject: Re: Does police radar work on scooters? Need help
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:09 pm 
If you want to pay a lawyer he can get it thrown out but will cost you more than the ticket would. I've had police friends radar bicycles, go carts and mini bikes. It's pretty accurate. I don't honestly understand why your Vino wouldn't get up to speed that quick. My 49cc Ruckus can hit 30mph crossing a 4 lane intersection and the boss' daughter has a Vino 125 that outruns it on take-off.
Out of curiosity, was it a school zone? In my area 1mph over in a school zone = $175.00 plus court costs and I've never seen a lawyer beat the school zone.

How to post pictures <- clicky

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Parking lot mechanic
2011 TR Donor
 Post subject: Re: Does police radar work on scooters? Need help
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 5:13 am 
you don't need a lawyer. just go in and plea not guilty. explain that it is impossible for the vehicle to travel that fast in those conditions. you will need to show evidence of this. video evidence should suffice. record your ride and try to speed at that same location. do some timed runs with measured distances, speeds, and times. also take measurements of the scene of the location that the offense supossedly occurred. this will help prove that you could not have possibly have been traveling at that speed in that location. remember all you have to do is prove reasonable doubt. is it possible that the officer was actually clocking a vehicle in front or behind you, and not actually clocking you? many times the officer will not even show up and then your case will be dismissed by default.

read this. http://www.wikihow.com/Fight-a-Speeding-Ticket

if the ticket isn't too much I would just pay it and plea no contest. which basically means you agree to pay the fine but don't admit that you actually were speeding.

http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/