Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ   * Search 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:26 pm 
Can anyone do a Daytona chrome or white shock review? theyre the $60 or so shocks, thanks.

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:12 am 
Product: Bitubo YZB (Dio type)
Duration Product Used: almost a year
Weight: 65kg (me)
Price Paid: about 120 Euros
Purchased At: SIP Scootershop
Strengths: Stiffness can be adjusted, nicely dampens out the bouncing after going over a bump. Haven't bottomed out yet on the weakest setting. Also this shock clears the tire by miles since both the top and bottom bracket are offset (unlike most shocks where only the bottom is offset).
Weaknesses: Only available in about the same length as stock, shock might be a bit too stiff if you're a lightweight like me. Only comes in the typical Bitubo red. Won't fit with stock airbox or without an extension kit shock mount.
Bottom Line: A great shock to replace the stocker. Bike feels much stiffer.. Can be too stiff if you're a lightweight like me. Build quality is top notch.
Value Rating: great value for money, 8
Overall Rating: 9

info: Bitubo YZB (250mm for Dio SP/SR/ZX/R). The parts no. on the box says: SC005YZB01

Last edited by Renzsu on Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

TR's Mad Scientist!
TR's Mad Scientist!
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:21 am 
Product:Daytona 270mm Chrome Shocker!
Duration Product Used: 2 months
Weight: 164lbs
Price Paid: $35, used from Scooterpooter for 1000miles
Purchased At: TR Classifieds 8)
Strengths: Dude, seriously, 10x stiffer than the stocker. Cornering, bumps, everything, is much more stiff, the bike rides a lot more solid. It's adjustable too. It looks so much better than the stocker, and it's longer.
Weaknesses: Could be stiffer if you ask me :lol: !! I think I've bottomed out a couple o' times on some speed bumps.
Bottom Line: NO BRAINER!! One of the first things a Ruckerer should take care of when converting a Ruckus to a head turner.
Value Rating: A 10. Seriously, I paid 35 bucks for it :lol: !

INSTALLATION NOTE: I tried to bolt it on from the bottom first, but that didn't work, the top would not align. I had to install it top first and add a little muscle to get it aligned for the bottom bolt.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:38 pm 
Product: White Daytona
Duration Product Used: 100 miles
Weight: 190 lbs.
Price Paid: $60
Purchased At: battlescooter
Strengths: Best $60 I've spent. I didn't realize just how bad the stock shock was until after the switch. No longer do i fear light potholes, bumps, etc. Bike is so much more fun to ride now. I used to get shooting pains in my lower back after long rides and figured it was just being crouched over for too long. Didn't realize my spine was playing shock absorber once the stock bottomed out. Main reason I went with the daytona is I'm not ready to remove airbox and this shock clears all stock hardware. Relatively simple install with socket and wrenches.
Weaknesses: Rear wheel now touches the ground on the centerstand. Not too big of a deal. Also really makes me want to spend another $270 on front forks and drum brake adapter.
Bottom Line: Get rid of the stock shock. Your ass and scooter will thank you.
Value Rating: They don't get much cheaper and I am very satisfied 10+
Overall Rating: 10

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:11 pm 
rufusthebum wrote:
Can anyone do a Daytona chrome or white shock review? theyre the $60 or so shocks, thanks.

i can, her ya go.

Product: daytona white
Duration Product Used: one month
Weight: 190lbs.
Price Paid: about 60 dollars
Purchased At: bowls
Strengths: have not been able to adjust. so....... but will update when i do. im on the softest setting and it is deffinatly better. tire want to stay stuck to the ground better. did this with kn forks up front. rides much better with these two item together at my weight.
Weaknesses: have not been able to adjust. so.......
Bottom Line: get them if you dont want to switch out your airbox.
Value Rating: great value for money, 8

you know who you are.

Last edited by godspeed7 on Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

One of Us
One of Us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:00 pm 
Product:Daytona 270mm Chrome Shock
Duration Product Used: about a week
Weight: 250lbs
Price Paid: came on bike
Purchased At: came on bike
Strengths: hmm, it looks nice and does have adjustable preload.
Weaknesses: Could be stiffer i have bottomed it out a lot. no real adjustments. would be nice to change this as it feels just like a cheap shock
Bottom Line: I would not buy this again. i am currently looking into something with more adjustments and something that is built better. but for the avg joe, it should work 99% of the time. I would like to see adj rebound, compression, something. I think i was expecting soo much more with all the hype, but maybe i am too fat :D
Value Rating: i would say a 3
Overall Rating: 5 (it does look nice and shinny :D)

88 Toyota 4Runner
71 Toyota Fj40

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:54 pm 
Hopefully, I am going to get my Ooki Tokki Rear Spring installed later this coming week, and I'll write a review. I paid $45 plus $9 shipping from battlescooter's online store.

When I decided to get a new rear spring, I weighed the most I ever have- 198.5 lbs! So I thought that maybe I really needed it because I was around 200 lbs. I'm 5'10 1/2 and pretty broad chested and shouldered, but I decided that enough was enough considering that I only weighed about 172 when my wife and I got married 7 years ago. Since then (about a month and a half) I've managed to lose 16 pounds! I weighed 182.5 this AM! In case you're wondering how, DIET and EXERCISE!

To be honest about it, I've immediately noticed the difference when riding my Ruckus! It is a bit quicker off the line and the stock rear shock seems a little stiffer than it used to!

Anyhow, I'm still going to install the Ooki Tokki Spring and hopefully I'll notice a difference.

I've heard that it's much easier to get the daytona shock because you just change the whole shock instead of the spring, but they were sold out at the time.

Besides, I kinda wanted to keep my rear spring Black in color!

I'll get a review on here shortly!

2000 Sea Doo Challenger Boat 240 Merc

"I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." - Jesus Christ

n00bie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:58 pm 
Can i install the Kitaco 260mm shock without changing anything else or do I need an offset mount bracket thingy?

One of Us
One of Us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:35 pm 
minski wrote:
Can i install the Kitaco 260mm shock without changing anything else or do I need an offset mount bracket thingy?
No offset thingy needed. Just bolt her up and ride. I've had mine about a year and it's been a good shock up until a month ago. I rode to Fayetteville for Wan's Farewell Fiesta..logged about 250 miles in a day and a half. On the ride back home I noticed a big glob of thick black oil laying all around the bottom of the shock. I guess I wore out a seal or something. Every couple of days I have to wipe the oil off. I guess I got my moneys worth out of it. I wish I would have kept track of total miles I put on it.

n00bie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:18 pm 
camokurt06 wrote:
minski wrote:
No offset thingy needed. Just bolt her up and ride. I've had mine about a year and it's been a good shock up until a month ago. I rode to Fayetteville for Wan's Farewell Fiesta..logged about 250 miles in a day and a half. On the ride back home I noticed a big glob of thick black oil laying all around the bottom of the shock. I guess I wore out a seal or something. Every couple of days I have to wipe the oil off. I guess I got my moneys worth out of it. I wish I would have kept track of total miles I put on it.

Thanks. I will go this way. I like the looks better anyway.

n00bie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:41 pm 
does the 270mm Daytona shock clear the stock airbox and rear fender?

TR's Mad Scientist!
TR's Mad Scientist!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:30 am 
RyanHaub wrote:
does the 270mm Daytona shock clear the stock airbox and rear fender?

yep.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:25 am 
Product:KN Kikaku
Duration Product Used: still installing!
Weight: 175lbs
Price Paid: $195
Purchased At: BowlsLA
Strengths: Matches my scoot and height adjustable
Weaknesses: I have to modify several pieces to make it fit!
Bottom Line: The jury is still out on this since I haven't ridden on it yet... I'm waiting for my lightened flywheel to to come back from JC Racing :lol: !
Value Rating: 3 not that great of a deal considering the mods I have to do
Overall Rating: TBD

I'll update everyone once I get this this mounted correctly.

this makes me think the following possibilities:

1) Later model Ruckii shock mounts are different
2) Zoomer shock mounts are different
3) Bad batch from KN Kikaku?

I'll detail my fix when I get the appropriate spacers.

Thanks for listening, I hope this helps someone make their decision on rear shocks.

-ew

One of Us
One of Us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:20 pm 
My Shock Reviews

Product: KN Kikaku
Duration Product Used: 3 months
Weight: 200lbs
Price Paid: $120 (I forget exactly)
Purchased At: Bowls
Strengths: Waaaay better than stock
Weaknesses: A little to stiff for me and I weigh 200 lbs
Bottom Line: Its a pretty good shock. The stock shock is so awful, this feels 10x better. However it is pretty darn stiff. i have the preload turned down pretty far and it still gives a pretty stiff ride and I have to slow down for water drainage dips or I might do a flying W. Could proably use a little more rebound damping and a softer spring.
Value Rating: 8
Overall Rating:8

Product: Kitaco Piggyback
Duration Product Used: 2 weeks
Weight: 200lbs
Price Paid: bought used
Purchased At: from somebody on the TR forum
Strengths: Awsome shock
Weaknesses: You can't buy these anymore. Kitaco discontinued them
Bottom Line: This is the shock to get for these bikes. The ride is smooth but firm. It takes big hits great. I could adjust preload and damping to match my weight perfectly. The adjustable damping feature really is an assit to geting it dialed in just right. I can hit water dips full speed and have no problems now. I almost crashed with the stock shock and had to back of with the KN Kitaku. What sucks is that Kitaco stopped making these and you can't get them anymore, not even from Kitaco direct. I had to wait and find a used one. It sucks, I hope Kitaco will make them again.
Value Rating: 10
Overall Rating: 10

n00bie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:56 am 
My contribution (and first post...):

Product: Daytona White

Duration Product Used: One Day

Weight: 200 or so.

Price Paid: about $65

Purchased At: Bowls
Strengths: Seems to be a hell of a lot better than stock. I have only run it 50 miles or so, but seems to be the ticket

Weaknesses: Adjustment seems to be impossible

Bottom Line: Seems like a good solution. I want to change out the airbox next, so I might try something else. Maybe not.

Value Rating: Good Value.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next