Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Would you be interested in a 150cc Turbo-Kit for your Ruckus?
Hell yeah! Where do I sign up? Ready to purchase! 33%  33%  [ 39 ]
Sounds badass, but I need to get funds together first. 25%  25%  [ 29 ]
Maybe, if the price is right and I can afford it 31%  31%  [ 37 ]
Nah, Turbos are for trucks not rucks 8%  8%  [ 10 ]
What's a Turbo?!? 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 118

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: Ruckus GY6 150cc *TURBO-KIT* (FEELER! Need User Input)
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:40 am 
What about the 250cc Big Ruckus/Reflex guys? I'm reseaching this option at the moment, but I don't have all the expertise this company has.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:58 am 
Nemesis,
You've brought up some very important points. Thank you for that. The current kit design was going to be "draw-thru" based, with carb to help keep costs down. After more consideration I will change direction and go the EFI route. It just makes sense. Plus has lots more future tuning and power potential. This will however likely increase the price of the complete kit. Gotta pay to play :army:

I'll add details soon as I have more progress on the way.

VTECDIABL0,
A larger 250cc turbo-kit may be in the future, but not in the works for me at the moment. If you would like to start developing one, feel free, and we can perhaps collaborate on producing a kit down the line. My goal is to complete this 150cc kit, debug, test and tune, produce if sellable. Then scale the kit to larger scooter motors ie 250cc.

[www.ScootSpecs.com]
MEMBER RIDE LINK HERE

One of Us
One of Us

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:51 pm 
Will the carb be somewhat pre-tuned? I mean it will be a serious pain to try to tune a boosted carb system. Mainly because you can tune it for boost, but if you let off the throttle and the boost goes down and you gun it again, it will run rich until it hits boost.

I would probably get the header+ exhaust and such with the turbo and all that, and get a FI kit separately just for reliability and more precise tuning.

Not saying anything is super wrong with draw-through, ATR did it... Maybe give them a call and collaborate. Just something to think about.

What size turbo you thinking about? K03 size?

I've got an idea.

If you say MILF hunting at Chuck E. Cheese, I might be down for that!

THE BUILD!

TR Ride of the Month!
TR Ride of the Month!
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:00 pm 
this can get interesting

SupremeMullet wrote:
You should take this guys word for it. If anyone knows cluster fucks of projects it's Keith

the project DIRTYSLUTS

One of Us
One of Us

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:46 pm 
Why even go through the hell (and cost of R&D) of the majority of this. IMO you should take THIS
http://www.mbe-motorsports.com/catalog/ ... cts_id/190

And then make any and all changes to run that on the ruckus (with their turbo or yours) and sell it for more than doing it yourself. The odds and ends of making it simple to use on the GY6 Ruckus specifically are the biggest challenges IMO. I would pay for that kit and a suitable turbo customized to work on my gy6 ruckus. I feel something like that and at a price range close to that is the way to go. Why spend your time and money (that then turns into higher prices for the customer) when you can have a very solid base to work with? Just a thought. I am excited to see how interested in this you seem. I'd love to buy a kit that was ruck tested.

Buggy Depot will sue you if you don't like their products/service which are made by 10 year old asian boys in sweatshops.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:56 pm 
The MBE EFI kit that you have linked is what I am planning on running, to go the FI route. From what I've read its had some favorable results.

I have to talk some more to Corky Bell about specifics of this kit, plus map out plans to complete it. Just bear in mind folks, it will all take some time. And I'm taking baby steps here, so I can do it and do it right.

[www.ScootSpecs.com]
MEMBER RIDE LINK HERE

One of Us
One of Us

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:53 am 
Definitely do it right. No one NEEDS a turbo on their gy6 right now haha. Where did you read favorable results about this kit? I am getting more and more interested.

Buggy Depot will sue you if you don't like their products/service which are made by 10 year old asian boys in sweatshops.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:48 pm 
darkrom wrote:
Definitely do it right. No one NEEDS a turbo on their gy6 right now haha. Where did you read favorable results about this kit? I am getting more and more interested.

I believe they have a forum link somewhere, and a few people posted the FI kit worked out great

[www.ScootSpecs.com]
MEMBER RIDE LINK HERE

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:16 am 
Ecotrons has a FI EFI kit also and from what I have gathered are excellent when it comes to customer support after the sale. $339 for the kit. A couple of guys on ScootDawg are running the standard EFI kit, one in particular is running on a 50cc has reported excellent tunability and as an added bonus, ~20 mpg gained from the last time he was tracking. Just food for thought.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:53 am 
13LKY2 wrote:
Ecotrons has a FI EFI kit also and from what I have gathered are excellent when it comes to customer support after the sale. $339 for the kit. A couple of guys on ScootDawg are running the standard EFI kit, one in particular is running on a 50cc has reported excellent tunability and as an added bonus, ~20 mpg gained from the last time he was tracking. Just food for thought.

I really appreciate the suggestions, thanks.

Ecotrons sounds like better route, since I'm not hearing anything back from MBE, although it appears to be the same kit.

[www.ScootSpecs.com]
MEMBER RIDE LINK HERE

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:33 pm 
I got my turbo and efi kit from MBE, but it looks like the Ecotrons kit is the same thing. The Ecotrons install manual is great a great find! I hadn't seen any instructions for installing the EFI prior to checking out their web page.

The turbo is a VZ21 or RHB31, far as i know they are the same turbo and you can find them on ebay for under 300. I made the hot side out of schedule 10, 304 Stainless. I wanted a thicker pipe for the hot side to help keep as much heat in the pipe as possible, I'm also going to wrap it with fiberglass header wrap. Also, I bought a cheap $50 intercooler on ebay, cut it in half, and re-welded the end tanks unfortunately I don't have a picture of that yet. I may be being a little optimistic, but If all goes well with the EFI install I should have it running this weekend.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:19 pm 
If possible I would keep the exhaust manifold as short as possible to get the turbo to spool a bit quicker. The EGT drops the further away the turbo is. If the turbo can't be fitted closer to the engine head, then that's a good looking DIY setup.

Fabricating a turbo setup is very simple so I'm surprised that only a few (if any) Ruckus owners have experimented with it. I guess the lack of quality EFI was the main obstacle until now.

Anyway, piecing together a DIY turbo kit for $700 (with unknown results) is not a good reason to launch a dedicated Ruckus turbo kit for less than $700. That's like saying a turn-key GY6 swap kit by StandardFunctions.com (or any other source) should cost $900 like a new GY6 scooter, instead of $1500-3500.

A proven mass produced turn-key turbo kit is way more valuable than piecing together a kit from multiple sources and hoping that it'll work. Even $1000 may be reasonable for a quality GY6 turbo kit. Again, it depends on the completeness of the kit and how well it performs.

A 49cc motor with turbo or supercharger might get more interest. Getting a motorcycle licence and paying 5x for insurance to ride 150cc is a big hurdle for some Ruckus owners. Making a FI 49cc perform like a standard GY6 would be very interesting. The MPG may stay relatively high as well. The Honda 49cc motor will blow to smithereens, so need to find a beefy 49cc block somewhere. I value longevity and reliability more than power.

Yes, I know that some GY6 owners will tell the cops that they have a 49cc in hopes of staying out of trouble, but where's the peace of mind in that?

I'm not trying to take away from a GY6, it's still a popular motor and if the turbo GY6 is successful, then a FI 49cc should be researched.

One of Us
One of Us

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:04 am 
Another thing to consider is the oil pressure in the feed line. It should be 40-50psi with journal bearing turbos (most small turbos are journal bearing). I'm not sure many have looked into the GY6s, or any other motor for that matter, oil pressure. I couldn't find any info about it in the NSS250 manual, but I haven't looked very hard. In the kit I'm piecing together, I'm probably going to avoid using the OEM oiling system. I'll be putting in a stand alone oiling system for the turbo (pump, cooler, reservoir, ect).

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

The way it should be
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:18 am 
Nemesis wrote:
On top of that, a carb cannot be tuned well with turbo applications. Yes it works in drag racing, but that is because its fairly predictable cuz they are running WOT for a shot time. Most people here will want to run this around town, and such. Some have succeeded in doing that, but I don't believe it is easy.

Carbs can be turned very well with forced induction, regardless of the type. Its all about CFM and jet sizing. You will almost always have to run a larger carb because it is the primary choke point. Adjustng your jets and plenty of street or dyno time.

Its not as easy as pulling out your laptop with FI but it is absolutely viable.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:25 am 
GY6 oil pressure is virtually non-existant. As stated above, dedicated oil supply and pump or fitting an electric oil pump onto the GY6 are your best bets. At that point, might as well run an oil cooler too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next