Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Would you be interested in a 150cc Turbo-Kit for your Ruckus?
Hell yeah! Where do I sign up? Ready to purchase! 33%  33%  [ 39 ]
Sounds badass, but I need to get funds together first. 25%  25%  [ 29 ]
Maybe, if the price is right and I can afford it 31%  31%  [ 37 ]
Nah, Turbos are for trucks not rucks 8%  8%  [ 10 ]
What's a Turbo?!? 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 118

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Ruckus GY6 150cc *TURBO-KIT* (FEELER! Need User Input)
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:43 am 
Hey Folks,
If the title of this thread excites you, then yup you read right, I did say Turbo, kick back and keep on reading.. :popcorn:

I'm am currently collaborating with a renowned Custom Turbo Kit creator, Corky Bell, owner of Bell Engineering Group (CLICK LINK HERE) to come up with a viable Turbo option for today's 150cc GY6 Swaps.

Are you tired of all the basic bolt-ons? Cruising at sub 60mph? Ready to step it up to near 2stroke power? Then a Turbo is the ticket :twisted:

At the current stage I need as much user feedback as possible to see if Ruckus 150cc guys (and any other GY6 150cc owners) would be interested in such a kit. The more feedback and interest I get, the faster this project can get under way!

Price and selling point will certainly be a key issue here, and it will depend on the final kit. With price concerns in mind, please also post how much you would be willing to pay for such a kit. Take note, this will be a QUALITY "Bolt-On" kit with everything necessary to convert a bone stock 150cc GY6 motor to Turbo, with the option of add-on or individual upgrades later on. It will NOT be cheap, but it WILL be totally worth it 8)

[www.ScootSpecs.com]
MEMBER RIDE LINK HERE

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

2011 TR Donor
 Post subject: Re: Ruckus GY6 150cc *TURBO-KIT* (FEELER! Need User Input)
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:27 am 
:popcorn:

Don't H8 The Scooter- H8 The Game

n00bie

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:29 am 
:banger:

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:31 am 
It would be cool to see it work with the 125 ccs as well

One of Us
One of Us

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:12 am 
how would this be tuned?

I can imagine difficulties with the lack of an ECU. I am not familiar with turbo tuning on a carb'd engine.

Buggy Depot will sue you if you don't like their products/service which are made by 10 year old asian boys in sweatshops.

One of Us
One of Us

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:24 am 
Also, are we talking more than the price of a GY6 swap itself? I wonder how many people would actually be willing to end up with a $7k+ ruckus investment by the time they finish building it. I really hope something comes of this project.

Buggy Depot will sue you if you don't like their products/service which are made by 10 year old asian boys in sweatshops.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:28 am 
I would be interested in emptying my piggy bank to get one of these depending on the price. If your talking $1000+ I don't see a lot of guys putting there money towards it. But if we could get something quality yet fairly basic for around $750-$850 that will show proven gains I am sure there would be a lot of interest from us TR members. Of course there will be other mods to do with this turbo set up for a price sub $1000 but I think that that would be a fair price.

TR Ride of the Month!
TR Ride of the Month!

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 12:30 pm 
I'm interested:)

TR Ride of the Month!
TR Ride of the Month!
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 12:36 pm 

TR Ride of the Month!
TR Ride of the Month!

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:01 pm 
Build one, show it off, show that it runs and runs well, make a kit and people will buy it. But you should have one running before getting everyone excited. :mrgreen:

Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

TR's High Five Guy

The way it should be Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:55 pm 
i basically agree with everything above. a good price and ill for sure buy on, im very interested on this and would love to see work go on and frequent updates to this thread! :banger:

time for you to get to work sounds like :army:

"Fairly 48"
viewtopic.php?f=95&t=78643
Metruckus

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:25 pm 
I saw a vid of a turbo ruck and wanted to build one. My wallet said no :( I would be down too for the right price. But yeah, what was said earlier, build one and show it off. Get some people to test ride, me first. That would probably be the best way to build interest.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:45 pm 
Thanks guys, I'll get on this prj stat. All my own prjs are 50cc so I will be in the market for a donor 150cc swapped Ruck in the San Antonio/Austin TX area

What tyjo posted here:
Quote:
But if we could get something quality yet fairly basic for around $750-$850 that will show proven gains I am sure there would be a lot of interest from us TR members. Of course there will be other mods to do with this turbo set up for a price sub $1000 but I think that that would be a fair price.

That's about the range I'm hoping to shoot for, for the full basic bolt-on kit. Sub $1k, but most likely over $700 for a full kit.

I will keep you guys posted :moose

[www.ScootSpecs.com]
MEMBER RIDE LINK HERE

One of Us
One of Us

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:59 pm 
I got a couple of things:

To keep your kit competitive cost-wise, I don't think it should be much over $700. Why? Well there is a complete EFI kit for GY6 engines that is boost friendly and it comes preloaded with the proper timing and fuel maps to make optimal power with a turbo, and then the same company that sells that kit, also sells a proper sized small engine turbo. Granted it isn't bolt on, but the cost of the components (minus a header with a turbo flange) is under $700. Just saying that people may look elsewhere, and if they are really Google savvy, they will find what I'm talking about.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but just letting you know now rather than having stuff in production and find out that you can't keep costs down to match what is on the market. Yes you will be the first kit, but people can find a way to do it differently, and cheaper.

Secondly: FUEL DELIVERY!!! There are 2 no no's when you have a carb'd motor and want to boost it. 1) Blow-through, where the turbo forces air through the carb. That will basically make the carb not work because instead of vacuum drawing the fuel into the incoming air, there is positive pressure pushing the fuel back in, thus the engine will not run. 2) Draw-through, where the carb is mounted directly in front of the turbo and the fuel/air mixture is drawn through the turbo. This will work, HOWEVER: you are now drawing atomized fuel into the turbo... The compressor blades are spinning around 100,000rpm or more (maybe less on this application, but still...) and tiny droplets of liquid WILL chew up the blades over time. I have seen it (someone put a water/ alcohol injection nozzle before the turbo and it chewed up the blades).

On top of that, a carb cannot be tuned well with turbo applications. Yes it works in drag racing, but that is because its fairly predictable cuz they are running WOT for a shot time. Most people here will want to run this around town, and such. Some have succeeded in doing that, but I don't believe it is easy.

I'm not saying its a bad idea, I'm just pointing out some important things.

Any thoughts? What were your plans for the whole thing? MOAR DETAILS!

I've got an idea.

If you say MILF hunting at Chuck E. Cheese, I might be down for that!

THE BUILD!

TR's High Five Guy

The way it should be Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 3:35 am 
good points nemesis. i was looking at the efi kit and tuner and its pretty sick. atr did the draw through setup and theres runs decent. but like you said tuning that with a carb is a pain and even more so if you wanted to go around town.! but you got reallly good points. :banger:

burnt_toast i am very excitied for you to start work on this! the prive range is def soundinging goooood! im on board to buy ne when you finish up. i would like to turbo it with the carb still on it! is that what you are going to try and do?

also i wouldnt mind a turbo kit for the GET lol im talking to another guy on here who has his about finished and ill be starting on mine soon. gathering parts up anyway. :banger:

"Fairly 48"
viewtopic.php?f=95&t=78643
Metruckus