Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: GY6 wiring: what wire does what? here is your answer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:39 am 
Ok, red here if you are trying to figure out what does what on your scooter, most jap/taiwan/china scooters are like this, and usually the same colors.
STATOR WIRING: you normally have 5 wires coming off the stator:(stole some pics from throughtheroof!)
stator wiring:

rectifier on the bottom of pic, stator wiring connector on top:

first step! remove the big goofy fuse box on the original ruckus harness and costruct a new one from some ring terminals, you need one or two smaller wires with fuses, and a large wire for the starter solenoid. make a new ground wire while you are at it, from the battery to the front frame section.

GREEN: ground. ground it to grounds, duh.also hook it to the chassis, negative battery terminal, theengine, etc.. as far as grounds are concerned, usually i hook a big ground from the starter or valve cover or both, run it to the frame where the fuel pump is, also use the ground wires that are normally wired in, and make a junction up front somewhere, and add a large ground from the battery to the chassis up front, and tie the junction into it. make sure the wiring is sufficient size and is connected good, you will be chasing your tail if this does not get done properly!

WHITE: AC charging system wire, connect it directly to the rectifier(little square box with ridges on it, has red,white,yellow,and green wires coming out of it) usually in the 4-pin connector on the stator wiring

YELLOW: AC charging system wiring, connect it to the rectifier, and also to the headlight power(to the hi/lo switch-ruckus stock controls is black/brown wire on left control, 9 pin connector) taillight(not brake light) and the autochoke. the lights on gy6 scooters run AC current, not your standard DC current that most people are accustomed to. usually in the 4-pin connector on the stator wiring

BLACK/RED STRIPE: this wire charges the CDI(capacitive discharge ignition, it has a capacitor in it that gets charged by a coil in the stator) you usually use this wire to kill the engine, and it goes from the stator to the cdi, i usually wire the kill switch inline with this wire, and when flipped open, the kill switch interrupts the ignition. will be in a seperate bullet connector on the stator wiring

BLUE/YELLOW STRIPE: this wire is the hall sensor that triggers the CDI to produce a spark. it gets wired to the CDI. wire may also be white with a yellow stripe or white with a red stripe, will be in a seperate bullet connector on the stator

CDI WIRING: you will have 5 wires from the CDI(maybe 6, but hook up the ones here, and your bike will run.)

GREEN(maybe black): ground, ground it, duh.

BLACK/RED STRIPE: to the CDI, see the explanation above.

BLUE/YELLOW STRIPE: to the CDI.

BLACK/WHITE STRIPE: power to the ignition coil, connect to coil + terminal

COIL:

BLACK/WHITE STRIPE: + lead, to the CDI

GREEN: ground. may be black wire.

RECTIFIER: 4 wires on a typical rectifier.

GREEN: ground.

WHITE: to stator

YELLOW: to stator

RED: put a fuse inline, then hook to the battery. this is DC power(charging wire) one lead is going to go to the ignition witch as well, for all the DC components power(brake light, horn, starter relay)

AUTOCHOKE: yellow wire from stator, and ground. uses AC current

if you want to test it now, the bike should have spark with the kill switch in one position or the other, usually in the off position, take the spark plug out and kick it over. you will of course need fuel also to make the engine run, i recommend using a vacuum fuel pump, as it doesnt need battery power to make it work. just make sure to mount the vacuum pump under the fuel level, as they dont like to suck fuel uphill, but will pump uphill fine.

next installment: DC power components including electric starter, blinkers, horn, brake lights..

Last edited by bluesmokeracing on Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:56 am 
nice finally LOL
have you noticed that on the auto choke that the wires are some times switched at the plug? do you think it matters? (yellow wire to green and green to yellow?) i know this is how my gy6 was wired from teh factory and it sort of bothers me, so i just left it off for now till i get my DMM to check it

88 Toyota 4Runner
71 Toyota Fj40

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:40 am 
Im glad someone here did this cuz i was gonna post some info about wiring a while back but didnt want to ruin someones business :wink:

no more PMs from members asking me about wiring yay!!!!!

MY 05 RUCKUS > http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=17093

One of Us
One of Us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:00 am 
aone wrote:
Im glad someone here did this cuz i was gonna post some info about wiring a while back but didnt want to ruin someones business :wink:

i think those guys making a biz off wiring harnesses will still be doing well, as even if people know the right colors some will still want a nice and clean and easy to install harness LOL

88 Toyota 4Runner
71 Toyota Fj40

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:09 am 
this needs to be a "STICKY"

One of Us
One of Us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:23 am 
paranoid56 wrote:
aone wrote:

i think those guys making a biz off wiring harnesses will still be doing well, as even if people know the right colors some will still want a nice and clean and easy to install harness LOL

u'd be suprised how many pm's i get from people asking how to wire it themselves...

MY 05 RUCKUS > http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=17093

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:16 pm 
aone wrote:
paranoid56 wrote:
aone wrote:

u'd be suprised how many pm's i get from people asking how to wire it themselves...

you too? ive probably posted this a million times in PM's, just figured i'd share some knowledge..

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:18 pm 
this is great stuff! great to know this is here now when i need it...

now maybe someone will use it and take pictures of it (or video) haha and a step by step of doing a complete gy6 swap ;)

One of Us
One of Us

Post subject: Re: GY6 wiring: what wire does what? here is your answer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:21 am 
how to make an electric starter work:

this piece is the starter solenoid, commonly talked about as a starter relay also. there are two wires coming out of it that are small, two that are large. I would start by mounting the solenoid on or near the battery, i like to use the stock rubber holder from the turn signal flasher unit. one of the large red wires needs to go straight to the battery positive, the other needs to go to the starter. make sure to use good wiring, 10 gauge at least, and make sure there is nothing chaffing or cutting this wire, it is not fused and will melt the crap out of everything near it if it gets shorted. the two little wires are trigger wires. to make it work, one side needs power, the other needs ground, and will work in either polarity. usually what you have is brake light power going into the starter button on one side(when you have the bike on and brakes applied) and the otherside of the starter button is wired to one side of the solenoid. the starter button wiring from the ruckus is a 4 pin connector that goes to the right hand control, ruckus colors are black/red stripe and black/white stripe. I usually wire the other side to ground. another method is to wire brake light (switched) power to one side of the solenoid, and the starter button on the ground leg, one wire to the button, other button wire to ground. or you could just wire a switched dc power to the button, and ground the other leg of it, but you have no safety function there, you can crank it without holding the brake.

so to recap- here is the flow of the wires to the starter solenoid: power source(brake light +) to black/red ruckus start button- black/white ruckus start button to yellow/red(or whatever) on the solenoid- yellow/green(or whatever the other color is) to ground. large red wire to battery+ other large red wire to starter+ terminal shown here:

Last edited by bluesmokeracing on Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:55 pm 
:banger: i have everything hooked up so far

but i cant get it to start

right now, im ditching the hold brakes to start (ill wire that in once i know everything works), ditching kill switch and stock start button

i have a 2 pole start button from rucksters

here are the wires i have left

blk - rectifier
red - rectifier

blk/white - CDI

red/ylw - starter relay
grn/ylw - starter relay

red/blue - ruck ign
red/grn - ruck ign

if i ditch the kill switch and brake starting, where do i go

i bought an 8 pole relay but do I really need it? i also tried their write up but the write up says nothing about where to wire the button :(

Kidnapped
ahDAMN Bomb
kim jong ill: Too much hate from people who do nothing for the scene
DYR

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:20 am 
U sir are wat we in Texas like to call a true pimp. I followed your wireing and in under thirty min my scoot was alive thanks. :banger:

rmraven41 wrote:
Honda's were meant to stay together not fall apart therefore the difficulty in removing bolts. :hihi:

04 cbr 600rr wanna be repsol
09 zumackus (sold out)

Admin
Admin
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:53 pm 
This is a BadAss wiring setup!!!

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:33 pm 
I have a question,.. On the STATOR how can you tell if there is power coming out of it,...
I have been having a charging issue, and I think this is were the problem is,...
I put a test light(not a volt meeter) on the wires coming out of the case,
The white made the light glow when I tested it on both + and -,... That's really weird to me,...
And the yellow had nothing,...
(has a good ground to just to let you know)

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:22 pm 
what's your wiring setup like? what wires do you have going to your rectifier?

I believe that this is the GY6 manual online. I didn't feel like downloading another one, if this isn't it just google gy6 manual & find one. It has all of the ohm readings, and trouble shooting steps.

http://www.vroomscooters.net/gy6_manual_6.html

2005 Honda Ruckus, 187cc GY6 + lots of other stuff - tore down dec 2010, revival coming '12

2010 Ducati Monster 696, modded

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:58 pm 
bluesmokeracing wrote:
how to make an electric starter work:

this piece is the starter solenoid, commonly talked about as a starter relay also. there are two wires coming out of it that are small, two that are large. I would start by mounting the solenoid on or near the battery, i like to use the stock rubber holder from the turn signal flasher unit. one of the large red wires needs to go straight to the battery positive, the other needs to go to the starter. make sure to use good wiring, 10 gauge at least, and make sure there is nothing chaffing or cutting this wire, it is not fused and will melt the crap out of everything near it if it gets shorted. the two little wires are trigger wires. to make it work, one side needs power, the other needs ground, and will work in either polarity. usually what you have is brake light power going into the starter button on one side(when you have the bike on and brakes applied) and the otherside of the starter button is wired to one side of the solenoid. the starter button wiring from the ruckus is a 4 pin connector that goes to the right hand control, ruckus colors are black/red stripe and black/white stripe. I usually wire the other side to ground. another method is to wire brake light (switched) power to one side of the solenoid, and the starter button on the ground leg, one wire to the button, other button wire to ground. or you could just wire a switched dc power to the button, and ground the other leg of it, but you have no safety function there, you can crank it without holding the brake.

so to recap- here is the flow of the wires to the starter solenoid: power source(brake light +) to black/red ruckus start button- black/white ruckus start button to yellow/red(or whatever) on the solenoid- yellow/green(or whatever the other color is) to ground. large red wire to battery+ other large red wire to starter+ terminal shown here:

i dont completely understand the 4 pin connector part for the starter botton. does he mean put the g/y and y/g wire to a ground?

my :LR: viewtopic.php?f=94&t=32437 :LR: