Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: GY6 101??? Edjumacate me...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:22 pm 
HIgrade wrote:
no, you gotta run the pump level w/ the tank or lower. right on the front frame cross brace[where the oem was] is ideal.
To add to grade's point, the pump should be mounted lower than the tank to avoid priming problems. Once primed, the pump can be located above or below the tank, pretty much anywhere that fuel lines can reasonably reach.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:23 pm 
adio3x wrote:
quick question, what octane gas do you guys use?
Regular 87 unleaded for stock 150s. That changes after combustion chamber modifications though.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

bluesmokeracing wrote:
mix123 wrote:
My GY6 Came. I'm slowly learning about these engines and the swap. Not swapping until winter so I can research a bit. Here are the extras that came with my motor...

I am asuming these are:

A) Starter Relay
B) CDI
C) ?
D) Rectifier

I know I have atleast 2 right there :)....?
you have 3 right, the ? is a resistor, it wires into the yellow ac charge wire on a lot of bikes, i cant seem to get a straight answer about what it does though.
I can't see the picture, but mix is likely referring to the ballast resistor for the automatic choke. If the choke on your GY6 scoot is powered by AC from the stator, there will be a large resistor (similar to the fuel sensor resistor on the stock harness) which limits power passing to the choke. If the choke is powered by DC (rare, but better), no resistor is needed. Choke will last longer powered by DC from the battery.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

seansean wrote:
Can someone tell me what the cylinder wall thickness of a bored out 63mm GY6 would be compared to the stock 63mm bore of the 180cc GY6B? I understand that the bolt pattern is different but am curious if a GY6B is less prone to overheating and other heat related issues due to a thicker wall size or if they are the same overall thickness and just have a bolt placement that is enough different to allow for more bore. :?:
63mm cylinders (standard) have a wall thickness of 1.35mm. Not sure about GY6B though.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:24 pm 
seansean wrote:
Okay, I've got one. What is the reason for having the plastic spacer on top of the head between the motor and the manifold?
The phenolic spacer is a thermal insulator and is there to reduce heat transfer between the cylinder head and the intake manifold. Keeps intake temps lower.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

Post subject: Re: new gy6
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:24 pm 
ruckus09 wrote:
hi i just got my gy6 and was wondering (if like the ruckus) you should put a little less oil in it compared to what it calls for.

i was going to use 10w30 synthetic. how much should i put in it?
The GY6 crankcase should be filled between 725ml to 915ml. I highly recommend staying within this range.

Also, 10w40 should be used. If you ride in a colder climate, 5w30 may be a good choice, but I don't have any data on that.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:25 pm 
djwimbo wrote:
bumping this thread because I feel it's for a good cause.

the GY6 101 does not include specs on the fuel pump.

The cheaper Chinese branded Mikuni knock-off works for some, but most "upgrade" to the real Mikuni. Ebay is the cheapest place to score one, but there isn't any information (that I can find) on which one is right.
The GY6 carburetor is designed to be gravity fed, so a pump which has a low output pressure is best. The rectangular Mikuni kicks like hell and is too powerful for the float valve in many GY6 carbs, as well as the VM26 and TM24. Maybe others as well.

I recently setup a clear return line to test the rectangular Mikuni pump. The video below shows the results. Extra fuel is continuously forced past the carb's float valve and into the carburetor, and is on its way back to the tank after exiting the overflow port. This same engine wouldn't idle worth a damn before the return line was setup.

That's a bored/stroked 185cc GY6 in the saddle, excessive fueling on a stock 150 would be worse.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

Post subject: Re: What type of gy6 150cc do I have?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:25 pm 
Infernohit wrote:
What is this thing coming from my engine? I was looking at my friends gy6 and it didn't have this thing. The donor bike was a jcl mp150m.
I'm sure you've sorted out your issues long ago, but I figure I'll respond for others that may run into this.

Infernohit wrote:
That's part of the EGR system. It recirculates exhaust gasses to be burned again, emissions stuff. The tube should be removed from the head and a blockoff plate used. (unless you want to swap over the whole EGR setup)

Infernohit wrote:
Not sure what the one hoes go to. (only hoes with metal spring around it)
Nothing. This is a vacuum bleeder, but isn't related to anything that you would need in the swap.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:23 pm 
Easiest way to tell if you're looking at a GY6 or GY6B.

Nemesis wrote:
Subject: Is this Tomo Nitro motor good GY6 swap?
That pic is very important for noobs. Should be posted elsewhere for people to find.

BDXRuck wrote:
Put this together for the OP and any passersby who might find it helpful.

n00bie

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:10 pm 
@BDXRuck, how did you set up the fuel return you posted a video of? Thanks!

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

The way it should be
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:43 pm 
What is the main difference between the 8, 11, and 12 pole stators? :meh:

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Post subject: Pole this pole that ?!? I need help with the pole
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:14 pm 
Sounds wrong and a little bit on the noob side
But I bought a gy6 motor and need to know if its
A 8 pole or 11 pole ... How can I find out?!?
Thanks

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: Pole this pole that ?!? I need help with the pole
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:13 pm 
Pull off the flywheel and count the copper wrapped coils, or get a screwdriver and run it around your flywheel. Count each time the magnet poles, I mean pull. :banger:

my :LR: viewtopic.php?f=94&t=32437 :LR:

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Post subject: Re: Pole this pole that ?!? I need help with the pole
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:11 am 
oohitztommy wrote:
Pull off the flywheel and count the copper wrapped coils, or get a screwdriver and run it around your flywheel. Count each time the magnet poles, I mean pull. :banger:

Thanks!

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Post subject: 11 pole variator
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:59 pm 
i have a stock gy6 15o cc what else do i need to upgrade to 11 pole other than the new variator itself will it plug ang play

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67145369@N ... hotostream my ride , gy6 motor, 09 GTR white paint, Brembo brakes, Yoshi carbon fiber exhaust, uri intake, mild stretch, lowered, password jdm straight bars Vienna va 22102

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next