Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: GY6 101??? Edjumacate me...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:07 am 
Please forgive the noobinian nature of this question...and before the forum gestapo take me out back and beat me with a rubber hose... yes, I did trying doing a search. (Maybe not as deep as I should have...)

So my question: Do we have a "GY6 101" for those of us not as seasoned to the world scooter motor swapping?

I'm sure I'll eventually catch up from all topics being posted, but it would be great to have a place to start. I've read the wiki on the gy6, but would love to read on the specific application to the Ruckii...

OK... now that I've mustered up the courage to ask the freshman question, I shall go back to the pit of noobs and cower in the shadows of the scooter elite.

"When I had a lot, I gave so little. Now that I have so little I want to give so much. Please donate to a good cause today." - Mike Tyson

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:35 am 
i haven't seen any. just lots of little bits all over. makes it hard to figure out. but i will be picking up a few gy6 scooters next weekend and plan to document all my swap so hopefully that will work :D

88 Toyota 4Runner
71 Toyota Fj40

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:36 am 
:D
Not a totally noobian question, but more specific information your seeking would be helpful.

Have you looked in the motor swap section yet?

Seems like it's overrun with GY6 questions and info nowadays as thats the main swapakus of choice right now.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:07 am 
tomtom wrote:
:D
Not a totally noobian question, but more specific information your seeking would be helpful.

Have you looked in the motor swap section yet?

Seems like it's overrun with GY6 questions and info nowadays as thats the main swapakus of choice right now.

Yeah I read a few topics in there, but got intimidated by all the jargon... after a while I just gave up.

Here are a few my basic questions (I'm sure more will come up as I continue to learn):
- What is the GY6 engine? How big is it (cc's)?
- How much power gain?
- What are the other mods needed to be done to accommodate said engine (new mounts, any custom fab, etc.)? If not, is it a direct bolt on swap?
- Aside from increased speed, what other characteristics change? Drivability, etc.?

Thats it for now... I hope I didn't post this in the wrong section...

"When I had a lot, I gave so little. Now that I have so little I want to give so much. Please donate to a good cause today." - Mike Tyson

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:56 am 
The GY6 swap has not been fully documented, and the info that is available is spread out amongst numerous threads here.

The GY6 engine is rated somewhere between 7 & 11 horse power depending on the scooter manufacturer.

You will need a new mount to hang the engine correctly, and then you will need to create a hybrid wiring harness using the Ruckus & donor scooter in order to have all the electronics & such work

The Gy6 engine ranges from 50cc to 150cc depending on the donor. You will want the 125cc or 150cc engine if you are swapping, and you will want a donor scooter that comes with 12" or 13" wheels - the 10" wheel donor scooters have a slightly smaller (dimension wise) engine & that makes it harder to swap & you will be stuck using really small wheels & tires.

Can't tell you about the driving characteristics because I haven't swapped yet. I can tell you that the GY6 has TONS of mods available from big bore kits, to stroker cranks, to variators, etc

Hope that helps....

2005 Honda Ruckus, 187cc GY6 + lots of other stuff - tore down dec 2010, revival coming '12

2010 Ducati Monster 696, modded

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:43 am 
BoeserBlick wrote:
Here are a few my basic questions (I'm sure more will come up as I continue to learn):
- What is the GY6 engine? How big is it (cc's)?
- How much power gain?
- What are the other mods needed to be done to accommodate said engine (new mounts, any custom fab, etc.)? If not, is it a direct bolt on swap?
- Aside from increased speed, what other characteristics change? Drivability, etc.?

Thats it for now... I hope I didn't post this in the wrong section...

This information may be a little off so please correct me if I'm wrong.

- The GY6 motor is off a Chinese/Korean scooter. The most popular one for the Ruckus is the 150cc which can also be bored out.

- Power can range from 8.5 to 11 hp depending on your mods. Probably more by now. Tallkyle for example, put a turbo kit on his!!! :shock:
There's many mods you can do to the GY6 so power will vary.
People hit over 60mph with a stock motor with just a CDI and variator.

- You need new mounts/adapters. If you can't fab them yourself, PM members BATMAN or RUCKUS, or get a NCY extension kit.

- The last question, I'll leave it to a GY6 owner, since I don't have one (YET). Definately faster than the stock 50cc though.

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:48 am 
Killer Scooter's:
http://totalruckus.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11655

Batman's mounts:
http://totalruckus.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21074

Lazy to look for more links... do your own search!!! :lol:

n00bie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:58 pm 
I know that Honda made them originally and they started making knockoffs elsewhere but was the original HONDA GY6 the Elite 125/150 engine?

Admin
Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:19 pm 
The elite had a vertical cylinder, not a horizontal like the Ruckus and GY6 swaps.

n00bie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:21 pm 
What were the original HONDA made GY6's in then?

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:53 pm 
Woodyhfd wrote:

None that nobody really knows of. The 80's honda scooter motors were all vertical to my knowledge, but if anyone knows what the gy6 was in, please post.

viewtopic.php?f=95&t=99

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

Shop mechanic
2011 TR Donor
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:17 pm 
To my knowledge Honda had made the GY6 engine for the Asain Market scooters, then the chinese started to re-produce them.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:08 pm 
what about the ecu? do you use the ruckus one or the donor scoot? :oops:

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:28 pm 
You don't use the honda ecu. But I left it in to work the low fuel light. If you remove the honda ecu you won't have a working low fuel light. The gy6 don't have a ecu. The gy6 only has the cdi and rectifier.

06 187cc gy6 ruckus
08 gy6 ruckus (wife's ruckus)
05 gsxr1000

Zombies
Zombies
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:06 pm 
Robomod wrote:
Woodyhfd wrote:

None that nobody really knows of. The 80's honda scooter motors were all vertical to my knowledge, but if anyone knows what the gy6 was in, please post.

Actually I'd love to see a pic of a GY6 with a Honda stamp on it. I've always taken it at face value that it was a Honda design, but where are all the Honda GY6 motors? Honda is the largest manufacturer of motorcycle engines in the world, and they build shit that lasts... so where are all the Honda stamped GY6 engines? A Honda made GY6 would be sick in a Ruckus :ninja4

:highfive:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next