Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TRYears on TR

Shop mechanic
 Post subject: Where to get a gy6
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:24 pm 
i want to finaly gy6 swap my ruck. do i get a motor new or find a donor. do i get one bare or find one with everything minus carb and exhaust.

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
 Post subject: Re: Where to get a gy6
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:09 pm 
The best way to do this is start a build thread and take a bunch of pictures of what you have and ask your questions there to keep them all in one place.

You can buy a GY6 for $350 or something from a number of places. Just search google. Some vendors were mentioned in another one of your threads.

Papa Smurf says it's drafty in here and those damn kids still won't get off his lawn. :smile:

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Garage mechanic
 Post subject: Re: Where to get a gy6
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:04 pm 
New is nice but with some patience and negotiating you can often find a used running gy6 donor scooter complete for $200-$400. If it's your first build you might not want to sink too much into it until you get a little hands-on experience. With a donor you'll get wheels, brakes, engine/carb, exhaust, wiring, etc- all stuff you can reuse or hack up until you want to upgrade or replace it.

If you are able to fix one up that's not running you can find one even cheaper. People aren't willing to spend $80/hr to fix a scooter that cost them $1000 new, and sometimes just a simple carb cleaning will get a "dead" scooter with less than 1000 miles on it running again.

gy6 off-roader project
Yamaha C3