Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 994 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Living room mechanic
 Post subject: Re: Polini vs Posh vs KN variator pg. 3
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:30 am 
oldfart55 wrote:
harry2110 wrote:
That's what im seeing. Im mostly trying to figure out how each variator will change the shifting pattern, ie which to use for each situation as Im looking for better 30+ mph torque and speed, getting to 30 isn't an issue in my opinion as I seem to out accelerate most cars around here but when I have to accelerate at 30mph Im a bit slower. My current top end is 42mph and I haven't even checked the oil level or had the tires higher than 27psi yet, plus Im wearing a full adventure style suit. Im thinking that a variator like the polini should get me to atleast 45mph but I have also seen that the kn is recommended for bigger guys which would be good for load hualing.

As far as the shifting pattern, that's where the weight tuning comes in. Lighter weights take more rpm to upshift, so it keeps you in a lower gear, and your rpm will be higher at any given speed.

As a rough example, think of it like a 4-speed car. If your weights are too heavy, the variator will already be in 4th gear at 30mph, and the rpm will be too low to deliver any torque. With lighter weights, at 30mph, you'll still be in 3rd gear, your rpm will be higher, and you'll have some torque. The goal is to find the weights that keep you in the powerband at WOT. Basically stock and without a CDI, aim for roughly 8500rpm as a good starting point. A tach is a HUGE help for tuning, it eliminates the guesswork and you can see exactly what difference each change makes. A lot of us have the Trail Tech TTO, only about $30 from Amazon.

You'll need at least a small selection of weights to try. Maybe get a set of 5gram and a set of 6gram. You can mix weights as long as you alternate them in the variator, so that would give you three options, all 5s, all 6s, and a mix for a 5.5 average. Chances are pretty good one of those choices will work well for you.

Cool! So really the ramping on the variators isnt that much of difference between themselves as my current bike has almost too much torque as I get to 40mph at only 1/2-3/4 throttle and wont get any faster even downhill as if it seems to hit a brick wall and run out of gears? Now this is nice as I can run 35-42mph while getting 100+ mpg but I wouldn't mind a little extra top end speed as the motor seems to be only 75% utilized. I don't know if my bike is a fluke or maybe its because im only 160lbs and 5'5 so I have way less of a air drag than bigger guy. Im getting a tach really soon as I kinda want to see how much I can get out of this engine without modifying it and voiding the warranty on it as the CVT parts are easy to replace in my opinion.

To sum it up it seems that all aftermarket variator gain 2-3mph but the difference between is not much more than 1-2% if you keep the CDI limiter and the ramping on a variator play less an importance than your weight tuning skills which I hope to take to the extreme over the summer.

Space Docker
Space Docker
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:31 pm 
harry, I think we're on the same page. Don't get me wrong, there are differences in ramp angles that affect shifting and potential top speed, and there are other variables like variator diameter, belt length, contra spring, etc., but I agree that, whatever variator you have, the key is taking the time to tune the weights. You've probably seen some of the threads about shaving weights, a tenth of a gram really does make a difference.

You're starting in the right place, try a variety of weights and get a feel for what kind of changes they make. This gets preached all the time, but pretty much everything in the CVT is interrelated, so only change one thing at a time, so you can see exactly what difference it makes.

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:40 am 
oldfart55 wrote:
........ the key is taking the time to tune the weights. You've probably seen some of the threads about shaving weights, a tenth of a gram really does make a difference.

Indeed !! Gram scale, a nice round file, and a beer. Tenth of a gram.... you bet. Physics..... centrifugal force. Brap !! :banger:

HueJass Build

Gotse Inspector
Gotse Inspector
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:54 am 
It wasn't addressed, so I'll add that I found the KN to be better with take-off/hills/lower-end torque than the Polini. It seems that the Polini is the mass favorite for best top-end and best vari for fully tuned rucks (CDI, Intake, Exhaust, advanced weight tuning as suggested above.)
In my experience, the KN is much better with a partially modded ruck (No intake/exhaust, for example)--especially on hills & low-end. I just can't get my Polini to touch the performance of my KN on my "mostly stock" bike.

There's lot to consider, though. The proper-sized belt mating/break-in period, your bike being tuned properly, etc. Like OF says, it's all interrelated.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:13 am 
BloodAngl wrote:
It wasn't addressed, so I'll add that I found the KN to be better with take-off/hills/lower-end torque than the Polini. It seems that the Polini is the mass favorite for best top-end and best vari for fully tuned rucks (CDI, Intake, Exhaust, advanced weight tuning as suggested above.)
In my experience, the KN is much better with a partially modded ruck (No intake/exhaust, for example)--especially on hills & low-end. I just can't get my Polini to touch the performance of my KN on my "mostly stock" bike.

There's lot to consider, though. The proper-sized belt mating/break-in period, your bike being tuned properly, etc. Like OF says, it's all interrelated.

This is exactly what I was looking for as Ive heard that a stock GET may not break thru to the optium range for a polini, but I didn't know that a KN would actually preform better as it seems to be considered tourquey and for bigger loads. Have you tried both variators on the same bike as Im wondering what the true difference is as I would like to keep my bike almost stock so that I don't ruin the Honda reliability as my current rate ill have 10k on the bike at the end of the first year? Also what is a mostly stock bike(CDI only) in your case?

Space Docker
Space Docker

The way it should be
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:58 am 
Still prefer the Kitaco, but that's just me. :meh:

"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time." - Mario Andretti

n00bie

Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:56 pm 
What are the disadvantages of switching out the stock varitor for different ones?

I am very much a newbie so i dont really know jack.

Sith Slayer
Sith Slayer
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:11 pm 
Read some threads here.

49cc-Sith Slayer-Mechanically disadvantaged-130 rear/2 shoe clutch
66cc-Annakin
49cc-2007 Honda Metropolitan- gonna make it super cute, build thread to come

Its easier to tell the truth than to defend a lie.......for some.

75/49 Founder

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:39 pm 
14HueJass wrote:
oldfart55 wrote:
........ the key is taking the time to tune the weights. You've probably seen some of the threads about shaving weights, a tenth of a gram really does make a difference.

Indeed !! Gram scale, a nice round file, and a beer. Tenth of a gram.... you bet. Physics..... centrifugal force. Brap !! :banger:

I highly recommend using a dremel with a small sanding drum, or you'll need more like a 12 pack by the time ya hand file em!

Ruck-U, Minnesota Chapter
HRGC Racing
Instagram: greyduckcustoms
http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=84764&p=1454401#p1454401

Duckwing and keygaurd guy

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:27 am 
Looking for a variator that has best performance for Hills and take off. Probably been asked a hundred times.
I have a polini with gates belt, but doesn't seem to like the rolling hills.

Met Build

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:39 am 
JonBsbB wrote:
Looking for a variator that has best performance for Hills and take off. Probably been asked a hundred times.

The answer is a few posts above your post. KN is generally what people like for hills and low-end. Then play with weights to optimize for your set up & needs.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:22 am 
Dervish wrote:
JonBsbB wrote:

The answer is a few posts above your post. KN is generally what people like for hills and low-end. Then play with weights to optimize for your set up & needs.

I was leaning to wards the Daytona Drag then saw the KN. Is one better than other. I have been weight Tuning the polini, but with the UPS and downs I hit the polini I don't think is going to cut it.

Met Build

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:05 am 
JonBsbB wrote:
Dervish wrote:
JonBsbB wrote:

I was leaning to wards the Daytona Drag then saw the KN. Is one better than other. I have been weight Tuning the polini, but with the UPS and downs I hit the polini I don't think is going to cut it.

Cool Im glad Im hearing this as I was getting ready to order a polini but once I can find a KN I will be getting that one instead. I do a ton of rolling hills and stop and go and it seems that a polini wouldn't be the best variator for my setup.

On a side note where do you purchase KN variators as I cant find them?

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Parking lot mechanic
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:35 pm 
Installed the Polini variator and belt on my '08 three weeks ago and I am more than pleased. I still need to order more weights and do some fine tuning, but I'm 240lbs and using (3) 5.6 gram weights and (3) of the 6.6 weights included with the variator kit, and I am hitting 44-45 in ideal conditions on an otherwise stock Ruck. Before I was lucky to hit 38. Still some fine tuning to be done, but I was thrilled that out of the box I was seeing 6-7mph with such a simple modification. Acceleration and midrange seem to be unphased, but once you can get the revs high enough you will definitely go faster than you have before on your stock ruckus lol. Highy recommended for the bigger guys....

FWIW my friend has had very good results with the KN, but they are rather hard to find from what I hear?

Space Docker
Space Docker

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 3:17 pm 
http://japan.webike.net/products/1959240.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 994 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next