Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 994 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 67  Next

Admin
Admin
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Polini vs Posh vs KN variator pg. 3
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:52 pm 
I put 50 miles on the KN variator on Friday and this morning before doing these timed runs.

So far the Polini works the best with my setup. For whatever design/mechanical reason the Polini roller ramps are well suited to hit the so called 'sweet spot' or power band on my bike, and exploit it the best. It also gears the bike taller.

Where-as the KN 'feels' like it has excellent mid-range punch. For day to day riding the KN does an excellent job of helping you maintain rpms when you are cruising around 35-40 mph. 41-46 mph felt painfully slow.

These are just my results for my bike so it will probably be different for most. YMMV due to the condition and tune of your engine, wheel setup, and other factors like rider weight.

It does feel weird to top out at only 47 mph vs the usual 50-52 mph I get when flogging the Polini. The best way I can sum this test up is that the KN simply runs out of gear while the Polini has a 'top gear' for the big bore. I'll cruise with the KN some more just to make sure I'm not dismissing it's performance characteristics too quickly.

I did six timed runs with the KN and used the top three for this graph:

It's a slaughter by the Polini with these numbers:

The Polini is easier on the engine rpms:

Last edited by sanjuro62 on Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Admin
Admin
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:21 pm 
Check out their differences in dimension.

The Polini has a wider diameter drive face, but the belt does not ride up to the outer edges.

n00bie

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:31 pm 
Im glad I have a polini ! :wink:

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:45 pm 
That polini is almost 1/4 inch in diameter bigger. I would think that would allow a faster top end.

Admin
Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:02 pm 
Da Ruckster wrote:
That polini is almost 1/4 inch in diameter bigger. I would think that would allow a faster top end.

That's the conclusion I came up with. If you are running a stock engine you aren't really going to be able to exploit the 'taller' gearing of the Polini, but the KN seems like it would do the trick for a stocker by keeping the revs high.

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:09 pm 
well, that's kind of weird.
based on graphs, one would think that the higher the rpms for a given speed (hence the lower the gearing, as in, more revolutions of an engine per revolution of a wheel), the more agility and acceleration a ruckus would have (kind of like a lower gear at the same speed in a car).
but - no, it's exactly opposite.
mechanics is a mystery :shock:

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:11 pm 
sanjuro62 wrote:
Da Ruckster wrote:

That's the conclusion I came up with. If you are running a stock engine you aren't really going to be able to exploit the 'taller' gearing of the Polini, but the KN seems like it would do the trick for a stocker by keeping the revs high.

But, once you hit your rev limiter, at this point I would think you want the belt to be as high on the front pulley as possible, thus the taller of the two.

Admin
Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:13 pm 
Da Ruckster wrote:
But, once you hit your rev limiter, at this point I would think you want the belt to be as high on the front pulley as possible, thus the taller of the two.

Uh, I've got a CDI so no rev limiter here.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:32 pm 
Saj, does the H.O. Camshaft make any significant change on the engine performance? Also, how much do you figure that doing a BB mod to the engine affect it's lifetime?

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:44 pm 
I would not think the BB would effect it's life expectancy as long as it is proportioned and done properly.

The BB with the wiseco piston, if properly bored is probably more refined than a stock, I would think :?:

Can I say any more words starting with P?

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:44 pm 
I am also interested in learning more about the H.O. Camshaft.

Admin
Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:37 pm 
Ruck Van wrote:
Saj, does the H.O. Camshaft make any significant change on the engine performance?

It just helps you retain or hold your speed better.

Ruck Van wrote:
Also, how much do you figure that doing a BB mod to the engine affect it's lifetime?

I expect it to run for as-long-as a stock one would if treated properly with plenty of oil changes.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:43 pm 
See, I have a great time bombing down hills but when I hit a flat road at 50, of course my speed reduces. Will the HO Camshaft help me keep that speed?

Admin
Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:51 pm 
DownOnWax wrote:
See, I have a great time bombing down hills but when I hit a flat road at 50, of course my speed reduces. Will the HO Camshaft help me keep that speed?

Let's just say I was doing 47 mph all the time with just the HO camshaft and Polini variator, except uphill of course, and without a CDI.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:58 pm 
Without a CDI?

Did the Camshaft reduce the Rev Limit and allow for higher speeds?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 994 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 67  Next