Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez
User avatar
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Posts: 2796
Location: SE Meeshigan!
Gender: Not sure
The way it should be Garage mechanic
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Theory of Belt/Variator Relativity
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:37 am 
See thread with drive train measurements:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=95603

_________________
2014 LucyBird Black 'n' Red Ruckus
Rudy Rotini GET a Daily Ride 2009 Red Ruckus
1978 Greenie:Honda Express
2016 48 Hours of Ruckus Winner


Top
 Profile  
 

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
User avatar
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Posts: 301
Gender: Dude
The way it should be Garage mechanic
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Theory of Belt/Variator Relativity
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:48 pm 
^^ just what I was looking for! :banger:

_________________
My ruckus build: http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/topic.php?f=96&t=91308 retired


Top
 Profile  
 

Space Docker
Space Docker
User avatar
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Posts: 3582
Location: Just north of the ol' Clampett homestead
Gender: Dude
The way it should be Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Theory of Belt/Variator Relativity
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:28 pm 
P-Dub wrote:
See thread with drive train measurements:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=95603

I added this link to the first post.

AND, it might not matter because this may be the only one in North America, but I have info on another belt. Listed as 790/18, the length is exact, I got 18.15 on the width. Reinforced with woven aramid fiber (generic Kevlar). Dayco is a sister company to Pirelli, so I'd expect good quality. This is the closest thing I've found to a Kevlar version of the stock Bando. I had to go through Racing Planet's UK warehouse, I guess Italy doesn't like us. :pissed: About $40 shipped.

Image

_________________
my damaged buildthread


Top
 Profile  
 

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez
User avatar
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Posts: 2796
Location: SE Meeshigan!
Gender: Not sure
The way it should be Garage mechanic
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Theory of Belt/Variator Relativity
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:13 am 
updated spreadsheet

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5uWwUtlecfJS245U0RUOGRFaUE/view?usp=sharing

_________________
2014 LucyBird Black 'n' Red Ruckus
Rudy Rotini GET a Daily Ride 2009 Red Ruckus
1978 Greenie:Honda Express
2016 48 Hours of Ruckus Winner


Top
 Profile  
 

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
User avatar
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Posts: 291
Location: Mahomet, Illinois
Gender: Dude
The way it should be Garage mechanic
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Theory of Belt/Variator Relativity
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:24 pm 
What do you guys think is best for the poilini variator?

_________________
-Ben
My Build- http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=95917&p=1610980#p1610980


Top
 Profile  
 

Space Docker
Space Docker
User avatar
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Posts: 3582
Location: Just north of the ol' Clampett homestead
Gender: Dude
The way it should be Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Theory of Belt/Variator Relativity
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:54 pm 
BIGno55 wrote:
What do you guys think is best for the poilini variator?

I have no personal experience with the Polini, but lots of folks have reported good results with the Gates. I would think the Bando or Dayco would give a little more top speed, but that's just theory. :meh:

_________________
my damaged buildthread


Top
 Profile  
 

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Posts: 1195
Location: Minnesota
Gender: Dude

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Theory of Belt/Variator Relativity
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:27 pm 
I had no issues with bando belts with polini. Once ya get a few runs in with em they nicely develop a sweet spot.. Just my .02

_________________
If you don't have a smile doing it, you prob shouldn't be doing it..

Ruck-U, Minnesota Chapter
HRGC Racing
Instagram: greyduckcustoms
http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=84764&p=1454401#p1454401

Duckwing and keygaurd guy


Top
 Profile  
 

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Posts: 418
Location: where the Wabash and Ohio meet
Gender: Dude
The way it should be Parking lot mechanic
2011 TR Donor
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Theory of Belt/Variator Relativity
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:37 am 
oldfart55 wrote:
P-Dub wrote:
See thread with drive train measurements:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=95603

I added this link to the first post.

AND, it might not matter because this may be the only one in North America, but I have info on another belt. Listed as 790/18, the length is exact, I got 18.15 on the width. Reinforced with woven aramid fiber (generic Kevlar). Dayco is a sister company to Pirelli, so I'd expect good quality. This is the closest thing I've found to a Kevlar version of the stock Bando. I had to go through Racing Planet's UK warehouse, I guess Italy doesn't like us. :pissed: About $40 shipped.

Image


have you received this belt yet? what do you think of it?

_________________
sorry if i've been gone a while, I rotate hobbies.

http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/


Top
 Profile  
 

Space Docker
Space Docker
User avatar
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Posts: 3582
Location: Just north of the ol' Clampett homestead
Gender: Dude
The way it should be Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Theory of Belt/Variator Relativity
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:17 pm 
jeff84, I did get the belt and have tried it out, but I haven't put enough miles on it to really form a valid opinion. First impressions are all good, but it needs some break-in time.

The only place I could find to buy it was Racing Planet, and it had to come from their UK warehouse to their US warehouse in Florida, then from FL to MO, so the shipping was pretty slow.

_________________
my damaged buildthread


Top
 Profile  
 

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Posts: 418
Location: where the Wabash and Ohio meet
Gender: Dude
The way it should be Parking lot mechanic
2011 TR Donor
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Theory of Belt/Variator Relativity
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:10 am 
I can deal with slow shipping, I just installed a stiffer torque spring and I got a feeling im going to need something a little more durable than the gates or bando, and I don't want to go with a longer belt. if it fails or wears prematurely be sure to let us know, and thanks for finding it. im probably going to order 2 to save some money on shipping in the long run.

_________________
sorry if i've been gone a while, I rotate hobbies.

http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/


Top
 Profile  
 

Space Docker
Space Docker
User avatar
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Posts: 3221
Location: Mooresville, NC
Gender: Dude
The way it should be
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Theory of Belt/Variator Relativity
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:36 am 
Wow. Don't know how I missed this?????? Great info and cataloging everyone. I am still searching for the best belt for my DP clutch. OF has been invaluable. The problem is I need a JOG width, Ruck length belt. Closest I've found was Gates PL30207. I played with shorter bosses last weekend to try and GET the belt up higher as I have approx 1mm of variator the belt won't reach, thus theoretically (?) limiting my top speed. No bueno. It hurt low end and did nothing to help top end.

_________________
My Met Build
Cracka Jacked viewtopic.php?f=92&t=50500


"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time." - Mario Andretti


Top
 Profile  
 

Space Docker
Space Docker
User avatar
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Posts: 3582
Location: Just north of the ol' Clampett homestead
Gender: Dude
The way it should be Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Theory of Belt/Variator Relativity
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:24 pm 
racerx wrote:
Wow. Don't know how I missed this?????? Great info and cataloging everyone. I am still searching for the best belt for my DP clutch. OF has been invaluable. The problem is I need a JOG width, Ruck length belt. Closest I've found was Gates PL30207. I played with shorter bosses last weekend to try and GET the belt up higher as I have approx 1mm of variator the belt won't reach, thus theoretically (?) limiting my top speed. No bueno. It hurt low end and did nothing to help top end.

I just looked up the Gates PL30207, 785/16.6, same length as the 30209 Ruckus belt. But, the 30209 is the shortest of all the "ruckus" belts, even shorter than the stock Bando. I had great results with a 30209 and a RUK variator, it completely wiped out the sharpie marks. But, the RUK is only like 88-89mm in diameter, very close to the KN. But that told me that 785mm was long enough to reach the edge of a small-diameter variator. Anything longer wouldn't go as deep in the clutch, so I think a Gates is as good as you can do for a small variator.

OK, the other extreme, a 97mm Malossi, 8mm bigger, would be ~ 25mm bigger in circumference. The belt wouldn't have to go around the entire circumference, let's say 60%, that's still 15mm more belt you'd need to hit the edge of the pulleys. So that puts you in the 800mm range, Kitaco, Daytona.

So next I took the cvt apart, and put on just the back clutch pulley and the variator, and spent some time trying different belts to see how they fit. The Kitaco and Daytona seemed too long with too much slack. The Bando was the best fit, just a tad short, The Gates wouldn't get close to the edge. I was really surprised at how much difference a few mm makes.

So now I've got it in my head that a few mm of belt could be as important as a few grams of vari weights. Probably not, but :meh:

racerx, is the center shaft on your DP clutch the same diameter as stock?
I have a Dayco 8177 coming over on the Mayflower, from Racing :wanker: Planet. 796x16.8

_________________
my damaged buildthread


Top
 Profile  
 

Space Docker
Space Docker
User avatar
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Posts: 3221
Location: Mooresville, NC
Gender: Dude
The way it should be
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Theory of Belt/Variator Relativity
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:09 pm 
oldfart55 wrote:
racerx wrote:
Wow. Don't know how I missed this?????? Great info and cataloging everyone. I am still searching for the best belt for my DP clutch. OF has been invaluable. The problem is I need a JOG width, Ruck length belt. Closest I've found was Gates PL30207. I played with shorter bosses last weekend to try and GET the belt up higher as I have approx 1mm of variator the belt won't reach, thus theoretically (?) limiting my top speed. No bueno. It hurt low end and did nothing to help top end.

I just looked up the Gates PL30207, 785/16.6, same length as the 30209 Ruckus belt. But, the 30209 is the shortest of all the "ruckus" belts, even shorter than the stock Bando. I had great results with a 30209 and a RUK variator, it completely wiped out the sharpie marks. But, the RUK is only like 88-89mm in diameter, very close to the KN. But that told me that 785mm was long enough to reach the edge of a small-diameter variator. Anything longer wouldn't go as deep in the clutch, so I think a Gates is as good as you can do for a small variator.

OK, the other extreme, a 97mm Malossi, 8mm bigger, would be ~ 25mm bigger in circumference. The belt wouldn't have to go around the entire circumference, let's say 60%, that's still 15mm more belt you'd need to hit the edge of the pulleys. So that puts you in the 800mm range, Kitaco, Daytona.

So next I took the cvt apart, and put on just the back clutch pulley and the variator, and spent some time trying different belts to see how they fit. The Kitaco and Daytona seemed too long with too much slack. The Bando was the best fit, just a tad short, The Gates wouldn't get close to the edge. I was really surprised at how much difference a few mm makes.

So now I've got it in my head that a few mm of belt could be as important as a few grams of vari weights. Probably not, but :meh:

racerx, is the center shaft on your DP clutch the same diameter as stock?
I have a Dayco 8177 coming over on the Mayflower, from Racing :wanker: Planet. 796x16.8


Center shaft being the hole w/ splines that slides onto the axle? If so then yes. It fits the Ruck axle perfectly, just has to use a "magic spacer" which in reality is just a spacer to move it out and avoid hitting inside of CVT casing. I tried th Malossi you sent and it was still too wide to drop far enough in the JOG pulley. Also, yes it is amazing how much difference a mm can make. When I tried shorter bosses over the weekend I was amazed to see that just a gnats hair shorter killed the acceleration. Go figure.

_________________
My Met Build
Cracka Jacked viewtopic.php?f=92&t=50500


"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time." - Mario Andretti


Top
 Profile  
 

TR Ride of the Month!
TR Ride of the Month!
User avatar
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Posts: 6777
Location: SGV-4-Lyfe
Gender: Dude
The way it should be
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Theory of Belt/Variator Relativity
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:54 pm 
Interesting Topic OF. :banger:

_________________
08 Metro- 64/58 club :banger:
viewtopic.php?f=92&t=63326
09 Metruck- SOLD
viewtopic.php?f=92&t=79193
ConElite for Mod 2016!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 

TR Ride of the Month!
TR Ride of the Month!
User avatar
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Posts: 6777
Location: SGV-4-Lyfe
Gender: Dude
The way it should be
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Theory of Belt/Variator Relativity
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:55 pm 
bdbdbdd wrote:
..theres a difference between modding and working.

you guys havent even understood it to mod it. its not stated clear here. I made a picture, i put some big ol' x ex' es you see that? X a letter x put that there, where i was making points. drawing attention to it. how can you repeat what i say then not get the point i made about

.. FIG2 of the drawing could also represent a loose belt from either the width worn from riding, usually, or the length being too long, from not accurate belt makers. like gates for one for example.

if you guys are goign to take a.. variable such as a worn out, not reliable accurate made belt like a gates, or anything the length is longer on, and throw it into yoru results and not keep tabs on it, then this whole, experiment might as well go with the rest of the important information what you do with it. too. out.

Not this Chump again. Where are the Mod's when we need them!!!

CONELITE- Mod 2015!!!

_________________
08 Metro- 64/58 club :banger:
viewtopic.php?f=92&t=63326
09 Metruck- SOLD
viewtopic.php?f=92&t=79193
ConElite for Mod 2016!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Check out who is online and not out riding.

Rucksters browsing this forum: No rucksters and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
 
Copyright Owners: click here to report copyright infringement

Technophobes: click here if you are having issues registering or logging in

TotalRuckus.com 2005-2015 (That’s 10 F’ing years!) - All Rights Reserved --- Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group