Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Garage mechanic
 Post subject: Re: Theory of Belt/Variator Relativity
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:37 am 
See thread with drive train measurements:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=95603

2016 48 Hours of Ruckus Winner

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:48 pm 
^^ just what I was looking for! :banger:

Space Docker
Space Docker
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:28 pm 
P-Dub wrote:

I added this link to the first post.

AND, it might not matter because this may be the only one in North America, but I have info on another belt. Listed as 790/18, the length is exact, I got 18.15 on the width. Reinforced with woven aramid fiber (generic Kevlar). Dayco is a sister company to Pirelli, so I'd expect good quality. This is the closest thing I've found to a Kevlar version of the stock Bando. I had to go through Racing Planet's UK warehouse, I guess Italy doesn't like us. :pissed: About $40 shipped.

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:13 am 
updated spreadsheet

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5uWwUtlecfJS245U0RUOGRFaUE/view?usp=sharing

2016 48 Hours of Ruckus Winner

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:24 pm 
What do you guys think is best for the poilini variator?

Space Docker
Space Docker

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:54 pm 
BIGno55 wrote:
What do you guys think is best for the poilini variator?

I have no personal experience with the Polini, but lots of folks have reported good results with the Gates. I would think the Bando or Dayco would give a little more top speed, but that's just theory. :meh:

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:27 pm 
I had no issues with bando belts with polini. Once ya get a few runs in with em they nicely develop a sweet spot.. Just my .02

Ruck-U, Minnesota Chapter
HRGC Racing
Instagram: greyduckcustoms
http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=84764&p=1454401#p1454401

Duckwing and keygaurd guy

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

The way it should be Parking lot mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:37 am 
oldfart55 wrote:
P-Dub wrote:

I added this link to the first post.

AND, it might not matter because this may be the only one in North America, but I have info on another belt. Listed as 790/18, the length is exact, I got 18.15 on the width. Reinforced with woven aramid fiber (generic Kevlar). Dayco is a sister company to Pirelli, so I'd expect good quality. This is the closest thing I've found to a Kevlar version of the stock Bando. I had to go through Racing Planet's UK warehouse, I guess Italy doesn't like us. :pissed: About $40 shipped.

have you received this belt yet? what do you think of it?

http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/

Space Docker
Space Docker

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:17 pm 
jeff84, I did get the belt and have tried it out, but I haven't put enough miles on it to really form a valid opinion. First impressions are all good, but it needs some break-in time.

The only place I could find to buy it was Racing Planet, and it had to come from their UK warehouse to their US warehouse in Florida, then from FL to MO, so the shipping was pretty slow.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

The way it should be Parking lot mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:10 am 
I can deal with slow shipping, I just installed a stiffer torque spring and I got a feeling im going to need something a little more durable than the gates or bando, and I don't want to go with a longer belt. if it fails or wears prematurely be sure to let us know, and thanks for finding it. im probably going to order 2 to save some money on shipping in the long run.

http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/

Space Docker
Space Docker

The way it should be
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:36 am 
Wow. Don't know how I missed this?????? Great info and cataloging everyone. I am still searching for the best belt for my DP clutch. OF has been invaluable. The problem is I need a JOG width, Ruck length belt. Closest I've found was Gates PL30207. I played with shorter bosses last weekend to try and GET the belt up higher as I have approx 1mm of variator the belt won't reach, thus theoretically (?) limiting my top speed. No bueno. It hurt low end and did nothing to help top end.

"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time." - Mario Andretti

Space Docker
Space Docker

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:24 pm 
racerx wrote:
Wow. Don't know how I missed this?????? Great info and cataloging everyone. I am still searching for the best belt for my DP clutch. OF has been invaluable. The problem is I need a JOG width, Ruck length belt. Closest I've found was Gates PL30207. I played with shorter bosses last weekend to try and GET the belt up higher as I have approx 1mm of variator the belt won't reach, thus theoretically (?) limiting my top speed. No bueno. It hurt low end and did nothing to help top end.

I just looked up the Gates PL30207, 785/16.6, same length as the 30209 Ruckus belt. But, the 30209 is the shortest of all the "ruckus" belts, even shorter than the stock Bando. I had great results with a 30209 and a RUK variator, it completely wiped out the sharpie marks. But, the RUK is only like 88-89mm in diameter, very close to the KN. But that told me that 785mm was long enough to reach the edge of a small-diameter variator. Anything longer wouldn't go as deep in the clutch, so I think a Gates is as good as you can do for a small variator.

OK, the other extreme, a 97mm Malossi, 8mm bigger, would be ~ 25mm bigger in circumference. The belt wouldn't have to go around the entire circumference, let's say 60%, that's still 15mm more belt you'd need to hit the edge of the pulleys. So that puts you in the 800mm range, Kitaco, Daytona.

So next I took the cvt apart, and put on just the back clutch pulley and the variator, and spent some time trying different belts to see how they fit. The Kitaco and Daytona seemed too long with too much slack. The Bando was the best fit, just a tad short, The Gates wouldn't get close to the edge. I was really surprised at how much difference a few mm makes.

So now I've got it in my head that a few mm of belt could be as important as a few grams of vari weights. Probably not, but :meh:

racerx, is the center shaft on your DP clutch the same diameter as stock?
I have a Dayco 8177 coming over on the Mayflower, from Racing :wanker: Planet. 796x16.8

Space Docker
Space Docker

The way it should be
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:09 pm 
oldfart55 wrote:
racerx wrote:

I just looked up the Gates PL30207, 785/16.6, same length as the 30209 Ruckus belt. But, the 30209 is the shortest of all the "ruckus" belts, even shorter than the stock Bando. I had great results with a 30209 and a RUK variator, it completely wiped out the sharpie marks. But, the RUK is only like 88-89mm in diameter, very close to the KN. But that told me that 785mm was long enough to reach the edge of a small-diameter variator. Anything longer wouldn't go as deep in the clutch, so I think a Gates is as good as you can do for a small variator.

OK, the other extreme, a 97mm Malossi, 8mm bigger, would be ~ 25mm bigger in circumference. The belt wouldn't have to go around the entire circumference, let's say 60%, that's still 15mm more belt you'd need to hit the edge of the pulleys. So that puts you in the 800mm range, Kitaco, Daytona.

So next I took the cvt apart, and put on just the back clutch pulley and the variator, and spent some time trying different belts to see how they fit. The Kitaco and Daytona seemed too long with too much slack. The Bando was the best fit, just a tad short, The Gates wouldn't get close to the edge. I was really surprised at how much difference a few mm makes.

So now I've got it in my head that a few mm of belt could be as important as a few grams of vari weights. Probably not, but :meh:

racerx, is the center shaft on your DP clutch the same diameter as stock?
I have a Dayco 8177 coming over on the Mayflower, from Racing :wanker: Planet. 796x16.8

Center shaft being the hole w/ splines that slides onto the axle? If so then yes. It fits the Ruck axle perfectly, just has to use a "magic spacer" which in reality is just a spacer to move it out and avoid hitting inside of CVT casing. I tried th Malossi you sent and it was still too wide to drop far enough in the JOG pulley. Also, yes it is amazing how much difference a mm can make. When I tried shorter bosses over the weekend I was amazed to see that just a gnats hair shorter killed the acceleration. Go figure.

"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time." - Mario Andretti

TR Ride of the Month!
TR Ride of the Month!
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:54 pm 
Interesting Topic OF. :banger:

viewtopic.php?f=92&t=79193
ConElite for Mod 2016!!!!

TR Ride of the Month!
TR Ride of the Month!
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:55 pm 
bdbdbdd wrote:
..theres a difference between modding and working.

you guys havent even understood it to mod it. its not stated clear here. I made a picture, i put some big ol' x ex' es you see that? X a letter x put that there, where i was making points. drawing attention to it. how can you repeat what i say then not get the point i made about

.. FIG2 of the drawing could also represent a loose belt from either the width worn from riding, usually, or the length being too long, from not accurate belt makers. like gates for one for example.

if you guys are goign to take a.. variable such as a worn out, not reliable accurate made belt like a gates, or anything the length is longer on, and throw it into yoru results and not keep tabs on it, then this whole, experiment might as well go with the rest of the important information what you do with it. too. out.

Not this Chump again. Where are the Mod's when we need them!!!

CONELITE- Mod 2015!!!

viewtopic.php?f=92&t=79193
ConElite for Mod 2016!!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next