Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

n00bie

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: Spark plug reading
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:21 pm 
How about when you kill the engine and coast to a stop.... the motor is shut off, there is no more fuel being sent into the motor and the plugs aren't firing. I just did this while tuning a friends Banshee the other day. Start at one end of the yard with a warmed up bike, work out all the other throttle speeds, it's better to do this so you can get the carbs working perfectly and not keep going through plugs, then work the main. Once you think you have it nailed then while the motor is still warm, swap a fresh plug in and gun it to max speed and kill the motor, check the plug and see what is up with it.

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:56 pm 
that way does not work with scooters. even if you shut off the engine, the automatic transmission still keeps the clutch engaged. so yes, there is fuel pumping through the engine, although the plug is not firing.

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:10 pm 
varroa wrote:
that way does not work with scooters. even if you shut off the engine, the automatic transmission still keeps the clutch engaged. so yes, there is fuel pumping through the engine, although the plug is not firing.

:banger:

i dunno about other of u guys..but when i turn off my key and while coasting from full throttle..my exhaust is still roaring which i'm guessing the engine is still turning and fuel is still pumping..

n00bie

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:58 pm 
varroa wrote:

Explain how there is "pumping" which would mean there is pressure, there should be no pressure. I am new to this ruckus thing, but if there is no fuel pump there is no pressure. If you kill the motor, fuel will continue to go into the carb, until you shut the fuel off, and even then the fuel sits in the float bowl.

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:08 pm 
do this: run your ruckus for a little bit. then pull the gas line off the carburetor. the pump will still be working, so direct the fuel in a bottle or something. but you will notice that the bike is still running. that's because the vacuum created by the piston pulls the fuel out of the carb's bowl and into the intake.

when you shut off the engine, you might shut off the fuel pump, as well, but the rotating engine still pulls in gas and then pushes it out, unburned.

n00bie

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:33 pm 
I still don't understand how this is different than an ATV. Does this bike have a fuel pump? The reason the motor is still having some gas flow because there is fuel in the float bowls.

I am in the market for a ruckus.... I haven't acquired one yet, but hopefully real soon. I do own two atvs, and have done a shit done of work to dirtbikes and quads over the years. I still don't see how this works. Once you kill the motor, their is no more spark, naturally the motor slows itself down when shut off.

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:00 pm 
when i turn off my ruckus while rolling down hill home..all my lights, tach, speedo, all work until it gets real slow(under 5-10mph)

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher

The way it should be
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:34 pm 
JDMThoughts wrote:
I am in the market for a ruckus....

it's mighty manly of you to admit that.

you don't even own a ruckus and trying to argue... it is good that you know the practical side of ATVs and theoretical side of ruckus, but just ride one and find out for yourself. i find it pointless arguing about a fact. it happens. the motor still rotates after you kill it. you can't deny that.

n00bie

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:48 pm 
I am not trying to argue.... I am trying to have someone tell me how this works. I have been tuning my bikes and my friends bikes for years..... I am not arguing that the motor doesn't stop rotating when shutdown, the engine needs to slow down. The engine doesn't instantaneously stop. However, when the ignition is cut, the spark plug stops firing. That would still make the aforementioned plug reading work.

Like I mentioned before I am in the market, but haven't found one reasonable for sale near me. I don't wanna do another finance thing for this, since I wanna get a car instead.

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher

The way it should be
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:57 pm 
like i mentioned before, the automatic transmission in the ruckus connects the engine to the rear wheel at RPMs above 3500, or - if you are slowing down from an engine-accelerated run - at speeds above ~3-5 mph. there is no way to break that connection unless you slow down enough for RPMs to drop below 4000. which takes a few seconds from 40 mph. during those seconds, the engine will make

since, when talking about WOT runs, we mean 30-40 mph driving, it is natural that the engine stays engaged with the rear wheel even if you cut the ignition completely, until you slow down to about 4000 RPMs. that means that the engine will revolve a few hundred times since the moment you flip the kill switch. during those revolutions, there will be gasoline pumping through the combustion chamber, cleaning out the spark plug - not sure by how much, but it definitely does.

peope did come up with an idea to have a manual clutch instead of the stock automatic one, but it never has been realized.

n00bie

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:18 pm 
Ok well that makes more sense to me know that you explained it like that.

Space Docker
Space Docker

The way it should be Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:12 am 
Okay, I'm no expert, so this falls under the FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH category. I've been playing with jets since I opened my intake, and I think I've got it about dialed in. With a 38 slow jet, an 88 main turned my plug base ring almost black, and I had a very slight stumble at WOT. An 85 runs great through the whole throttle range, but after 2 hours hard riding, my plug looked brand new, no coloration at all except for a slight white deposit in the outside of the ground strap. I thought this might indicate a lean condition ( I need an 86.5 jet :? ).
I've read everything I can find about reading plugs, so I sent an email to tech support at NGK, with a detailed description of the plug with the 85 jet. Great people, I got an answer the same afternoon. He said pretty much the same thing as Smartbomb, that unleaded pump gas colors a plug very little, and from a tuning standpoint, the main thing to look at is the insulator nose, it should stay clean and white(ish). He said buildup of deposits on the ground strap is normal, and that my plug looked like it should. Black or dark brown is definitely too rich. Good enough for me. :)

Space Docker
Space Docker
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:39 am 
Has anyone used this product ? http://www.gadgetjq.com/ctune.htm
Might be a handy tool if your working on alot of bikes .

The Official Unofficial TR Sheriff!!
The Official Unofficial TR Sheriff!!
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:39 am 
Black and White no Good.

Its gotta be Brown so you can be DOWN!

JEDI pass the Cheese, I gots the CRACKA

- B.I.T.R.
The Bureau of Internal TRama
ruckus2009 wrote:
If he was some troll, I'd be with you- give him the boot. .

TR Ride of the Month!
TR Ride of the Month!
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:02 am 
I dont think that picture chart on the first post is intended for 2 strokes. Seems like its more an automotive type chart, intended mostly for 4 strokes?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next