Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
2011 TR Donor
 Post subject: Re: Spark plug reading
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:56 pm 
Slo_Ruckus wrote:
Only mod I have is a K&N filer on the stock snorkle. Trying to dial in my jetting. Went one currently have one step larger main jet and pilot jet.

How does this plug look? possibly still lean?

Very lean indeed.... Get rid of the stock snorkel and put on either a radiator hose or some plumbing tubes..... stock snorkel is too long.

My Mild Build Thread #2
My Mild Build Thread

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

The way it should be
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:06 pm 
You say the stock snorkel is too long but the Taurus rad hose used with the mnnthbx intake bracket is about the same length. Kinda confused about intakes now, the battlescooter site has an article which says that longer intake tube will make for a faster ruckus than filter on carb setups, but I see people recommending those over intake tube all the time.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:31 am 
I do not know why I am getting into this, but anyway. All I can tell from that particular picture is that the combustion chamber is slightly cold (you can tell so by the position on the tip of the change in color, which should be ideally on the corner) but what can cause such a thing is hard to tell, as it could be a slightly RICH running engine or an engine that could do with a bit more advance, but I would be happy with that is the engine is running OK.
And about the theory that an engine will breathe better without an intake is just wife tale, which sadly a lot of so called experts life by, there is a lot of science involved in designing an intake and exhaust for an engine, as we know air has mass so it has inertia, an intake provide an engine with a supply of still air that makes the life easier for an accelerating engine (yes once it get to high rpm it actually becomes a limiting factor) the air demands of an engine change a lot during different rpms and if the engine is accelerating or decelerating, the only time an engine performs better without an intake is at full engine speed and it still need some way to smooth the flow (an air horn increases substantially the performance of an intake less engine)
So unless you are into drag racing an intake is a lot better than no intake, but then again I am just a guy who used to make a living building race engines for the 24 hours of Daytona and imsa gtu cars back in the 80's and reading plugs and tune engines was my everyday work. And I am convince that an idle mixture adjustment is a lot more useful than a set of different size main jets :deadhorse:

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:47 am 
chanito wrote:
I do not know why I am getting into this, but anyway. All I can tell from that particular picture is that the combustion chamber is slightly cold (you can tell so by the position on the tip of the change in color, which should be ideally on the corner) but what can cause such a thing is hard to tell, as it could be a slightly RICH running engine or an engine that could do with a bit more advance, but I would be happy with that is the engine is running OK.
And about the theory that an engine will breathe better without an intake is just wife tale, which sadly a lot of so called experts life by, there is a lot of science involved in designing an intake and exhaust for an engine, as we know air has mass so it has inertia, an intake provide an engine with a supply of still air that makes the life easier for an accelerating engine (yes once it get to high rpm it actually becomes a limiting factor) the air demands of an engine change a lot during different rpms and if the engine is accelerating or decelerating, the only time an engine performs better without an intake is at full engine speed and it still need some way to smooth the flow (an air horn increases substantially the performance of an intake less engine)
So unless you are into drag racing an intake is a lot better than no intake, but then again I am just a guy who used to make a living building race engines for the 24 hours of Daytona and imsa gtu cars back in the 80's and reading plugs and tune engines was my everyday work. And I am convince that an idle mixture adjustment is qa lot more useful than a set of different size main jets :deadhorse:

Thanks for the great input and better advice, ya know i was told as year ago to take all my knowledge of small block chevys and race engine tuning and through it out the window :lol:
But it does come in handy :highfive:

Appear interested when not and vice versa ..... sun tzu

Ride Game Participant
Ride Game Participant
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:09 pm 
Ok so after reading all this, I keep looking at my plug after running. So I can run the scoot on a 75 main jet and it looks very lean (white plug) then I put in an 85 main jet and it shows no color what so ever maybe just a tiny bit brown but just spits and sputters everywhere wont really run, can it spit and sputter when the plug still shows lean but can run somewhat decent on a 75 main jet and show really lean... This scoot has my brain all kinds of twisted. Do I need to go up in jets more to get that plug chocolate???

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

The way it should be
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:49 pm 
Silentnoise79 wrote:
Ok so after reading all this, I keep looking at my plug after running. So I can run the scoot on a 75 main jet and it looks very lean (white plug) then I put in an 85 main jet and it shows no color what so ever maybe just a tiny bit brown but just spits and sputters everywhere wont really run, can it spit and sputter when the plug still shows lean but can run somewhat decent on a 75 main jet and show really lean... This scoot has my brain all kinds of twisted. Do I need to go up in jets more to get that plug chocolate???

Thats too big of a jump in jet sizes for starters. Go up one size at a time. 75 might be lean,78 or 80 might be perfect, 85 might be too rich. But you will never know unless you try each jet. My ruckus sputtered lots with too big of a mj.

The colour of the plug is not going to change drastically unless you have been riding for a long period of time. That is why people use a new plug every time they change jets when they are tuning the carb. That way you can rule out improper plug readings. You also have to make sure you do a WOT run, hit the kill switch immediately, then pull the plug and check the colour. If you back off the throttle at all it's going to through off your readings.