Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

5-0 Magnet
5-0 Magnet
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
 Post subject: ASK HERE FIRST (noob questions)
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:49 pm 
This thread is specifically for simple Ruckus Performance questions. If you can not find what you are looking for after a search, post in this thread for an answer or a link to the answer. Please keep your questions relevant to the subforum!

Link to search: Search
Google search tip: use totalruckus.com: question here

Also,

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
 Post subject: Re: ASK HERE FIRST (noob questions)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:09 am 
Posted this in another thread but got no responses...

Been driving the Ruck to work all spring and summer with no issues. Good acceleration and tuned to run into the rev limiter at 42mph, which is fine for the roads I drive on. Yesterday I drove to work just like normal, but when I came home, the bike was sluggish. Poor acceleration, wouldn't hit top speed, and didn't want to rev past 8500rpm. The lack of acceleration and top speed are surely because of the lack of RPM. What happened? It did it suddenly, and I didn't make any changes. Is this a symptom of something wearing out? Belt? Weights? I had planned to do some carb and variator tuning this weekend, but I need to get this issue resolved first.

Relevant mods: open filter intake, stock exhaust, Polini variator w/ 6.0g weights, stock belt, stock carb with 38/78 jets.

Thanks,
Mike

Sith Slayer
Sith Slayer
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:58 am 
all of a sudden symptoms aren't from parts just wearing. so unless you're wrong in your analysis.....wear doesn't happen suddenly.

49cc-Sith Slayer-Mechanically disadvantaged-130 rear/2 shoe clutch
66cc-Annakin
49cc-2007 Honda Metropolitan- gonna make it super cute, build thread to come

Its easier to tell the truth than to defend a lie.......for some.

75/49 Founder

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:31 pm 
Intake air leak. Are you using the stock snorkle? The GET cracked and leak.

One of Us
One of Us

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:49 am 
squareback wrote:
Posted this in another thread but got no responses...

Been driving the Ruck to work all spring and summer with no issues. Good acceleration and tuned to run into the rev limiter at 42mph, which is fine for the roads I drive on. Yesterday I drove to work just like normal, but when I came home, the bike was sluggish. Poor acceleration, wouldn't hit top speed, and didn't want to rev past 8500rpm. The lack of acceleration and top speed are surely because of the lack of RPM. What happened? It did it suddenly, and I didn't make any changes. Is this a symptom of something wearing out? Belt? Weights? I had planned to do some carb and variator tuning this weekend, but I need to get this issue resolved first.

Relevant mods: open filter intake, stock exhaust, Polini variator w/ 6.0g weights, stock belt, stock carb with 38/78 jets.

Thanks,
Mike

This might seem silly but it worked for me.
My Ruck started to struggle all of the sudden too. After checking everything over I noticed my spark plug was loose. It had vibrated loose and backed off a few threads. Tightened up the plug and the Ruck ran just as it did before. Maybe that's all it is for you?

viewtopic.php?f=92&t=89000

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

The way it should be
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:58 pm 
Thanks for suggestions.

Jedi, I hadn't had anything wear out yet, so I didn't know what to expect if it happened. I didn't think it would happen suddenly like this, but I needed to ask. My observation is correct; it ran like normal to work but was down on acceleration on the way home.

It probably isn't an intake leak. I had removed and looked at the intake, which is the curved radiator hose style. I saw no issues with it.

I also removed the spark plug to check it when trying to find the problem. It wasn't loose and really looked perfect.

UPDATE-- Over the last 2 days, I've been riding to try to pin down exactly what is happening. The bike is still sluggish in acceleration, which is what is preventing it from hitting a normal top speed. Before, I could maintain my top speed at the rev limiter on flats even with some headwind; now I can't even hit the rev limiter unless I'm going downhill or have the wind behind me. It just doesn't have the acceleration to push to the rev limiter. This doesn't help me to know what's causing it, but it does confirm to me that's it's due to either lack of acceleration from the drivetrain or lack of power from the engine. Not sure which or how to find out. I was about to get lighter weights and a CDI to achieve better acceleration and a higher top speed, but I can't play with any of that until I figure out this issue.

Photo of the Week
Photo of the Week

The way it should be Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:10 pm 
Check fuel filter and jets.

You be the next happypancake! Keep it up!
:popcorn:

5-0 Magnet
5-0 Magnet
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:14 pm 
Did it rain between the time it was running good and got sluggish? Tire psi good?

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

The way it should be
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:07 pm 
Happy-- I checked for clogged jets when I removed the carb to do my initial investigation, but I didn't check the fuel filter. I'll do that tomorrow.

Flip-- it did not rain that day, and I have a waterproof prefilter anyway. Tire pressure has stayed constant at 35#.

Thanks for the ideas.

One of Us
One of Us

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:57 am 
squareback wrote:
Tire pressure has stayed constant at 35#.

Set your pressure higher than that. I'd say the majority of guys here run something around 45psi or more.
This likely wont be your issue but it will improve your acceleration/ top speed.

viewtopic.php?f=92&t=89000

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:19 pm 
squareback wrote:
I had removed and looked at the intake, which is the curved radiator hose style. I saw no issues with it.

Did you check the insulator that connects the carb to the engine? It is rubber and could have a crack or loose clamp.

2016 48 Hours of Ruckus Winner

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

The way it should be
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:38 am 
I've checked the insulator, which I assumed would be fine given the age of my Ruck. And it is.

I also checked the fuel filter, which appears to be fine.

Even though everything I've checked seems fine, I'm going to do a tune-up on the bike (fuel filter, plug, change fluids, etc.) since it's probably due anyway. I will also drain the fuel tank and put in fresh. I have to find the cause of my issue, but I'm out of ideas.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:49 am 
Still sounds like an air leak to me. Or something causing air/fuel mix to change. Have you tried spraying carb cleaner around the intake and manifold to check for a leak? Is the exhaust seal and gasket good? Did the weather (heat/humidity) change dramatically that day?

viewtopic.php?f=96&t=70082

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

The way it should be
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:25 pm 
Yep, when P-Dub suggested the carb isolator, I sprayed everything with carb cleaner and found no leaks. I haven't checked the exhaust gasket, but I'd be able to hear that if it was leaking. The weather didn't change dramatically that day, but it wouldn't explain why it has been this way ever since.

I noticed something weird over the last few days. I drove to work, and the bike was the same as it has been. My commute is 8 miles, all 25-35 MPH city blocks except for the last 1.5 miles, which goes up to 45 MPH. That last part is very, very slightly uphill going to work and downhill coming home. When going to work (uphill), the bike struggled to get up to speed and eventually hit the rev limiter at the normal 42 MPH. On the way home (downhill), the bike hit 45 MPH but never hit the rev limiter. Someone want to explain that?

This issue has been going on for about 10 days now, and I'm getting pretty frustrated with it. I did order the stuff I need for the tune up, so I can at least do that.

Sith Slayer
Sith Slayer
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:37 pm 
colder in the morning. richer jetting later in the day.

just a guess.

49cc-Sith Slayer-Mechanically disadvantaged-130 rear/2 shoe clutch
66cc-Annakin
49cc-2007 Honda Metropolitan- gonna make it super cute, build thread to come

Its easier to tell the truth than to defend a lie.......for some.

75/49 Founder